Sign in with
Your question

Win7 my desktop icons are changed to excel icon

Last response: in Windows 7
May 25, 2010 7:45:50 PM

After merging a number of XL files (148) and then deleting the "most recent files" display. XL failed to load previously OK files. I re-booted only to find 99% desktop icons replaced by XL icons. XL is now attempting to open all programs including Start-up programs. Any program you wish to open is directed to XL.
System restore failed to fix problem.
Thanks for your help.
May 27, 2010 3:57:42 PM

:p 
Ronald_1949 said:
After merging a number of XL files (148) and then deleting the "most recent files" display. XL failed to load previously OK files. I re-booted only to find 99% desktop icons replaced by XL icons. XL is now attempting to open all programs including Start-up programs. Any program you wish to open is directed to XL.
System restore failed to fix problem.
Thanks for your help.

:)  Hi all, found a quick solution which helped me. Created a new user account and I now have access to almost all my programs, however I still need to repair my original desktop profile.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 5:30:37 PM

Could you not just set up the new user account to match your old one and then delete your old account?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2010 11:07:54 PM

Ronald_1949 said:
:p 
:)  Hi all, found a quick solution which helped me. Created a new user account and I now have access to almost all my programs, however I still need to repair my original desktop profile.

Have you also attempted a System Restore to see if that can fix any of the altered settings for your original profile?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 28, 2010 2:56:41 AM

Since the system restore failed I'd suggest trying a MS Office un-install.
Hopefully, the system would revert to the standard icons.

Then you could re-install MS Office.
m
l
May 28, 2010 9:50:52 PM

Hi, thanks for reply, don't think it has anything to do with MS-Office cos in my attempts to rectify it also masked my icons with the Skype icon and opens Skype including programs listed in the "All programs" from the start button.

Attempting this fix now: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corru...

Just having a problem with permissions, but will persevere.
m
l
!