Sign in with
Your question

Aaah! Delta fan sound on SK6 is killing me!

Last response: in CPUs
March 12, 2002 3:04:49 AM

Just swapped out my aging Duron 700 with an Athlon T-bird 1.4GHz chip and a Thermalright SK6 heatsink from NewEgg.

Unfortunately, while I'm ecstatic about the speed boost (for a $100 chip, it's a nice upgrade without replacing the MB or memory), the Delta fan that NewEgg shipped with the SK6 is INSANELY loud, like a somewhat quiet hair dryer. It should be easy enough to replace, and since the CPU seems to be cruising at about 42C, I could probably afford a less... enthusiastic fan.

Any suggestions? I'm not aiming for total silence, but this is a mean whine right now...

-->Stitch
March 12, 2002 4:14:14 PM

"Any suggestions? I'm not aiming for total silence, but this is a mean whine right now..."

I believe there is an AMD user by the name of AMD_man whos system is "practiclly noise-free!" maybe he can help you.

it's incredible how quiet those AMD system can be!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
March 12, 2002 4:38:23 PM

AMDMeltdown, you closed-minded fool (sorry about that, I don't usually like to directly insult people but you are more and more annoying by the day), it's the fan that's making the noise not the processor. He bought a delta fan so obviously it's going to be loud. He could've stayed with a retail HSF if he's not overclocking which is very quiet (I've tried one) or he could've went for a good Volcano 7 or Volcano6Cu. It's that simple.

Also, I'm not an AMD-only user, which seems like that's what you're implying. Contrary to what my name would suggest, I've used and built and worked with countless AMD and Intel systems for friends and for myself. I don't favour one over the other but I find your ignorant unintelligible posts distasteful to say the least.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2002 5:33:06 PM

I believe the fan you're referring to is a 60mm fan, so most any other 60mm fan could be considered as a replacement fan. You will want to consider the dBA rating to determine the noise level, and the CFM rating to determine air flow. A whisper is considered to be about 23 dBA. I have an ADDA 60mm fan which is very quiet - it is inaudible at 16.1 dBA. ADDA also makes a 24 dBA fan that pushes a little more air. ADDA fans can be difficult to find - I purchased mine at www.phamcomputer.com - as a case fan, so I don't know how well it will work on a CPU. Another good choice is the ThermalTake model TT-6025A-2B, which is rated at 28 dBA, and should be easier to find.
March 12, 2002 6:37:12 PM

Go buy a Volcano 7 its good. $25.00 off ebay :D 

THGC, saving 1 pc user from buying a GeForce4 MX at a time.
March 12, 2002 6:39:38 PM

What's the CFM on those fans?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 12, 2002 6:45:15 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>Svar på:</font><hr><p>it's incredible how quiet those AMD system can be!<p><hr></blockquote><p>Is that when the CPU/heatsink melts and jams the fan ?

<i>/Copenhagen</i>

<b><i>Seagate Barracuda IV.
Bad performance in RAID setups!
</i></b>
March 12, 2002 6:49:12 PM

That's in USD right? That's pretty expensive. I got my beauty for $29 CDN or about $19 USD.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 12, 2002 6:56:36 PM

Fatburger:
CFM I assume stangs for Cubic Feet per Minute. So the higher the CFM the more air moves through whcih means better cooling but usaully increased noise.

Ben
March 12, 2002 8:15:03 PM

Correct on all counts. I'm curious if those ultra-quiet fans actually do much. My suspicion is that I'd rather have the slightly noticeable noise and greater air, but who knows, they might be great.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
March 12, 2002 8:30:00 PM

dont worry fatty they work good.

THGC, saving 1 pc user from buying a GeForce4 MX at a time.
March 12, 2002 8:46:12 PM

The volcano 6cu is not all that quiet. I'm sitting here listening to mine right now. The Volcano 7 is the quiet HSF.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.
March 12, 2002 8:57:28 PM

Perhaps, I haven't tried the Volcano 6Cu myself. My friend has a Volcano6Cu+ though, and it is quieter than a Delta but still very loud. The Volcano 7 is extremely quiet at 3000RPM and only a light hum at 3500RPM. That's as much as I can tell you.

March 12, 2002 10:01:24 PM

Quote:

AMDMeltdown, you closed-minded fool......it's the fan that's making the noise not the processor.

where did I even suggest or even mention the processor? I was refering to the total system, you know that big box that sits underneath the table or on top of the desk.

you should thank me instead of being condesending towards me and when I say "system or setup" please don't get it confused with a processor, please. ;-)

Quote:
He bought a delta fan so obviously it's going to be loud. He could've stayed with a retail HSF if he's not overclocking which is very quiet (I've tried one) or he could've went for a good Volcano 7 or Volcano6Cu. It's that simple.

that's why I refered him to you because it seems to that you're very knowlegedable on the "Art Of Making An AMD System So Superduper Quiet".

Quote:
Also, I'm not an AMD-only user, which seems like that's what you're implying. Contrary to what my name would suggest,

where did you see that? I mean, sometimes I'm in a hurry when I write but did I really imply "Amd-only"?

ps, I hope I didn't imply that you're a fool or anything with this post,...seriously! :wink:

March 12, 2002 10:10:31 PM

silly silly!
you should have checked before you purchaced it.
anyway, you have the following options:

1. put up with it
2. replace just the fan with something quieter - wont be quite as cool but that shouldnt be a problem.
3. get a rheostat to moderate the fan speed.
4. replace the entire heatsink
5. get a 60mm to 80mm converter, chip it on, and use a much slower quieter 80mm fan instead. that would be my favoured reccomendation.

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:
March 12, 2002 10:22:45 PM

Quote:

where did I even suggest or even mention the processor? I was refering to the total system, you know that big box that sits underneath the table or on top of the desk.

You said "it's incredible how quiet those AMD system can be!", obviously being sarcastic. Clearly you're suggesting that all AMD system are loud. You didn't say it in so many words, but I could read in between the lines.

Call me paranoid or an "AMDmongrel", but I've read enough of your posts to understand your personality to a certain extent.

Quote:

that's why I refered him to you because it seems to that you're very knowlegedable on the "Art Of Making An AMD System So Superduper Quiet".

Again that scastic remark "the Art of Making An AMD System So Superduper Quiet" suggests you think the opposite. AMDMeltdown stop playing these silly word games, and just say what you think in a way that's not insulting and people <b>WILL</b> listen! It's that simple!

Quote:

where did you see that? I mean, sometimes I'm in a hurry when I write but did I really imply "Amd-only"?

Maybe I'm overanaylsing your "hidden messages", but I would say that by simply calling me an AMD user, you imply that I'm an AMD-only user. That extra couple of words makes the difference.

Quote:

ps, I hope I didn't imply that you're a fool or anything with this post,...seriously!

Ahh, more word games, just get to the point and call me a fool already if you have no self-discipline. However, if you have but I single shred in you, consider being more reasonable and "pleasing" with your opinions.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2002 10:52:55 PM

The ADDA fans are 18CFM for the 24dBA fan, and 13.2CFM for the 16.1dBA fan. The ThermalTake fan is 21CFM and 28dBA. The ThermalTake fan is available from NewEgg for $5. Generally, I prefer the quietest fan available that can still get the job done, but it's not always easy making that determination, from system to system, without some serious experimentation. Good supporting case fans can help considerably. My favorite 80mm fan is the PC Power & Cooling "Silencer" fan - they're rated at a 20dBA and push 27CFM. I have 4 of them - 2 front, 2 rear - in my Antec SX1040 case, and collectively, they create a good airflow pattern with very low noise.
March 12, 2002 10:55:55 PM

Yeah, I looked at the larger models too. Not to bad. Not incredible amounts of air for the noise, but not bad at all. If their longer life is true, that's a nice feature as well.

March 13, 2002 12:12:59 AM

Stitch, that didn't take long. I've been enduring a Delta fan for about 2 months (or maybe it just seems like 2 months). I've got several other fans. The 6000 RPM fans sound about 33% quieter and 5000 RPM fans about 50% as loud. More importantly, the lower pitch makes them far less objectionable than the Delta. It's hard to give up the extra cooling of a Delta fan when it keeps a CPU on this side of the edge stability when overclocking. That shouldn't be a problem for your stock 1.4. These you can run in the 50's without any problems.

I'm looking at the <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com/29/299.htm?867" target="_new">Evercool CUD-725 all copper HSF</A> with it's 70mm, 42 CFM fan which spins at only 4200 RPM making only 32 dBA of noise. (Bummer, I just checked the Nexfan site. They've sold out all 2000 pcs and won't have any more until April. They are not even taking orders [cries]).

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>
March 13, 2002 12:14:46 AM

I replaced the delta with a Sunon, can't remember the name. Sound is MUCH MUCH quieter, which is very happy... but the CPU core rose by about 4-6 degrees C to 46. How acceptable is that? Seems pretty stable at 46, certainly...

-->Stitch
March 13, 2002 2:46:56 AM

Dummy get off the fourm you dont know crap about computers. I just wish they ban you
March 13, 2002 3:22:33 AM

if its stable its fine

the critical cutt-out temp could be anything.

on my machine i know its anything above 52 (cool reading sensor), but on a friends i know it can exceed 65 without any problems.

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:
March 13, 2002 4:50:33 AM

well, i bought a Thermalright SK6+ YS Tech 40CFM, the Fan is 7000~74000rpm, sure it is louder than your Delta.
I couldn't suffer the noise from the hell, so i lower down the fan's voltage to V5, make the Temperaure at 45-53c, now my system quiet like heaven.

:) 
March 13, 2002 6:26:08 AM

Quote:
Correct on all counts. I'm curious if those ultra-quiet fans actually do much. My suspicion is that I'd rather have the slightly noticeable noise and greater air, but who knows, they might be great.

My 80mm sunon is perfectly quiet and my temp is 104f.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
March 13, 2002 3:38:19 PM

I was talking about the Adda fans specifically, I've got a couple of Panaflos, etc.

I picked up a Lian-Li at Fry's last night. It comes with three Adda fans, interestingly enough.

March 13, 2002 8:01:13 PM

"Dummy get off the fourm you dont know crap about computers. I just wish they ban you"

apparently you're not wishing hard enough!

March 13, 2002 8:08:30 PM

He's only throwing a nickel in the well, you think he should start using dimes?

March 13, 2002 8:34:10 PM

"He's only throwing a nickel in the well, you think he should start using dimes?"

only a gold coin would do it(pulled from his [radio edit]).

March 13, 2002 8:40:47 PM

You're not worth near enough for a gold coin. <i>Maybe</i> a quarter.

March 13, 2002 8:44:23 PM

Naw, even 10 cents is an exaggeration.

!