Sign in with
Your question

XP 2100+ tommorow...do we really care?

Last response: in CPUs
March 12, 2002 7:55:26 PM

Ok yea...2100+ release date tommorow, but the question is...do we really care? An increase from 1.67 GHz to 1.73 Ghz...not much. When is AMD going to take that leap foward that will really put the distance between it and Intel. Once AMD makes the performance jump over Intel, and its prices still being low, then and only then will it really do something.

Mike

Everything Changes...Everything stays the same.

More about : 2100 tommorow care

March 12, 2002 7:59:58 PM

Actually, I do care, that 1.73GHz Athlon XP will lower the prices of all the older Athlon XPs, which is good for everyone since not everybody is going to be getting the fastest Athlon XP.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 12, 2002 8:01:09 PM

I dont really care. All I wanna know is why AMD haven't released thier Thouroughbred yet. I am wondering if they have decided to include some last minute enhancements i.e making sure that it is 166 FSB compliant ?!?!? as and when 166FSB motherboards are released in the coming months. Your guess is as good as mine.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>
Related resources
March 12, 2002 10:00:43 PM

Don't really care. I think only reason AMD is releasing this is they are having some issues with their .13u production and they have to fill the gap between now and when they release T-bred. They will announce this processor but I think it will be available in very limited quantities.

KG
March 12, 2002 10:06:37 PM

Quote:

They will announce this processor but I think it will be available in very limited quantities.

I doubt it. AMD has never released a processor in limited quantities since the Athlon. They've always waited until they could produce enough processors and then announce them.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 12, 2002 10:18:40 PM

Quote:
XP 2100+ tommorow...do we really care?

nope

THGC, saving 1 pc user from buying a GeForce4 MX at a time.
March 12, 2002 10:33:42 PM

mmm no, not as far as pure speeds go.
we all know they are still very compeditive with the opposition, and the new speed grade will just increase that factor with a slightly faster flagship and cheaper models down the line.

i believe we are all waiting for thouroughbred with alot more intrest.

still, amazing what amd is squeezing out of the 0.18 micron process

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:
March 12, 2002 11:42:32 PM

i agree that AMD's doing a great job with the .18 micron and can't wait for the .13 thoroughbred and hammer. AMD, imo, is just releasing these faster AXP's because, well they have them and dont wanna waiste em? Also maybe to not leave a gap in the PR rating for when the thoroughbred comes out. Heh who knows what AMD is doing for sure, all we can do is wait or get whats the fastest today and have it be outdone tomorrow, you make the choice..

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>
March 13, 2002 2:32:17 AM

according to reports the final XP will be 2200+ @ 1800mhz. that will be one hot beast. and the tbred will come in at 2000, much like what happened with the athlon1400 & xp1500+

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:
!