DDR 400! and finally some good bench marks

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
and now in a new and improved clickable form :smile:
<A HREF="http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=41" target="_new">http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=41</A>

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:

eden

Champion
:eek: :eek: HOLY MOLY!!!
This is what the P4 ever wanted! God just look at them benchs! Now think what Dual Channel DDR400 woulda given! Man the IPC just jumped upwards in FPU too! I am in awe.
Not only does it almost run over RDRAM, but it gives almost 30% boost or more, which is extremly nice. God Dual Channel at that moment would kick ass.
And that is only CL2.5!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm

only one problem with that article
they didnt really try to find the limits of that ram Cas wise

it could do 200mhz @ cas2.5... but what about cas2 with hard mem timings. had they found the limit of that it would have given us a better idea of the quality of the ram

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Wow, fascinating article. Im literally stunned they got an AMD board to 200mhz fsb.
Those scores are awesome. I payed close attention to the StreamD and Sisoft scores. Intel spanked AMD in those benches. Clearly DDR is the winner is the memory game. The only consolation for AMD in these benches is they picked DDR first. And Intel went with RD-ram.
Of course, in the future benchmarks will be more accurate since post chip makers will be using the same type of ram.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
and that means that using an unlocked XP cpu and a sychronous 166fsb/166ram speed will also do wonders for system performance, abeit at a slightly lower performance level.

and 166fsb is obtainable now...
get a leadtek 735 or a kt333 board, unlock your xp, pop some active cooling on the northbridge, get some corsair cas2 ram and away you go

ben8128

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
LHGPooBaa: I plan on doing just that except when the tbreds come out. Does anyone know whether we will have to do this whole connecting the bridges mess? or will AMD let us change the fsb out of the box? I just wish the doubled the cache and set the default to 166Mhz...then that would hold us over to the Hammer [tounge]

Ben

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
LGH, dont even bother unlocking, get an axp 1700+ for about 100 bucks and just overclock that, most of them WILL do it.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
sure it will.
but the xp1700+ costs $$$, whereas ive allready got the athlon.

im destitute remember?

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
that...was,

nice

WOW, I say (90Thz here we come!)

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.