fixing ip address on network for individual pc

Last response: in Networking
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 10:45:56 PM

I've looked through the newsgroup, but can't see this specific question
addressed.

I'm using an MN-700 router, and the IP address it assigns to my laptop
intermittently changes (seems like after I travel, use another network, and
come back, it sometimes assigns a new IP to the laptop). I've set up file
transfer software on my Palm Clie that need the specific IP address of my PC
(now it's 192.168.2.170, last week it was 192.168.2.173).

Is there a way I can make this IP address fixed for this PC (I don't really
care if the others in my house intermittently change).

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 10:45:57 PM

Manually put an IP address within your LAN realm in on the laptop, not using
the DHCP feed from the base station.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Robert Stanley" <rstanley@illegitimatepresident.org> wrote in message
> I've looked through the newsgroup, but can't see this specific question
> addressed.
>
> I'm using an MN-700 router, and the IP address it assigns to my laptop
> intermittently changes (seems like after I travel, use another network,
> and come back, it sometimes assigns a new IP to the laptop). I've set up
> file transfer software on my Palm Clie that need the specific IP address
> of my PC (now it's 192.168.2.170, last week it was 192.168.2.173).
>
> Is there a way I can make this IP address fixed for this PC (I don't
> really care if the others in my house intermittently change).
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 11:10:00 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm not sure where to find the LAN realm to
make these manual changes. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Manually put an IP address within your LAN realm in on the laptop, not
> using the DHCP feed from the base station.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Robert Stanley" <rstanley@illegitimatepresident.org> wrote in message
>> I've looked through the newsgroup, but can't see this specific question
>> addressed.
>>
>> I'm using an MN-700 router, and the IP address it assigns to my laptop
>> intermittently changes (seems like after I travel, use another network,
>> and come back, it sometimes assigns a new IP to the laptop). I've set up
>> file transfer software on my Palm Clie that need the specific IP address
>> of my PC (now it's 192.168.2.170, last week it was 192.168.2.173).
>>
>> Is there a way I can make this IP address fixed for this PC (I don't
>> really care if the others in my house intermittently change).
>>
>> Thanks.

a b D Laptop
December 27, 2004 11:10:01 PM

Go into Network Connections, right-click the icon representing your LAN
connection and select Properties. On the General tab, you'll see a listing
box under "This connection uses the following items:" which includes
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

Highlight that listing with a single click, then select Properties. On the
new General tab, put a dot in the circle next to Use the following IP
address. You can then enter the laptop IP (use something different than
that associated with it already), the Subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and then
the Default gateway (your router's address). You can leave the dot in
Obtain DNS server address automatically.
--

> Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm not sure where to find the LAN realm to
> make these manual changes. Any guidance would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Manually put an IP address within your LAN realm in on the laptop, not
>> using the DHCP feed from the base station.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Robert Stanley" <rstanley@illegitimatepresident.org> wrote in message
>>> I've looked through the newsgroup, but can't see this specific question
>>> addressed.
>>>
>>> I'm using an MN-700 router, and the IP address it assigns to my laptop
>>> intermittently changes (seems like after I travel, use another network,
>>> and come back, it sometimes assigns a new IP to the laptop). I've set up
>>> file transfer software on my Palm Clie that need the specific IP address
>>> of my PC (now it's 192.168.2.170, last week it was 192.168.2.173).
>>>
>>> Is there a way I can make this IP address fixed for this PC (I don't
>>> really care if the others in my house intermittently change).
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 8:44:15 AM