Closed

All my files are in vlc media format and they cant open

i opened one file using another program and on my screen , all files couldn't open using this programme. i have tried changing it back to its default programme but whenever i do this, all the other files just change to tha programme and cannot open either.pliz help me out
12 answers Last reply
More about files media format open
  1. Check this with some other files and see if they are working or not. If they are, then there is some problem with the previous files, might be corrupt.
    Otherwise use another media player like GOM or download the newest version of VLC
  2. it has still failed
  3. arnold_07 said:
    it has still failed

Still failing ?
    After downloading new version or playing other files ?

P.S. It would be good if you can write a little bit more properly :)
  4. okay. the thing is all the programs that i am using have all failed. this is what my problem is; for example the icon for Adobe reader X, right now it appears as that of the vlc unlike before and all i want is to change it back to normal because it has failed to open
  5. Prolly a virus' doing. Do you have an antivirus installed ?
  6. yes.. i do.but then its me who changed this though i dont remember how it happened
  7. please help
  8. You've probably broken the .exe file association. Download and run the exe registry fix.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

Beyond that, you can manually change the icon if that is bothering you. Within the program files location, there is usually an .ico file. You can go to the properties of the icon, and change its icon.
  9. arnold_07 said:
    i opened one file using another program and on my screen , all files couldn't open using this programme. i have tried changing it back to its default programme but whenever i do this, all the other files just change to tha programme and cannot open either.pliz help me out

Try the lnk and exe file associarion fixes at the link below.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

right click exe and save as the zip file .... then extract to desktop , right click and give merge ......
  10. I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!

i used that link and it added the changes to the registry, but it only changed the icons down the bottom. (all the email, internet browser, google chrome etc were all shown as witches hats, the vlc icon). When i clicked on the email icon, it just opened in a vlc file again.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this, using the registry? and please be precise in your instructions!!! thankyou
  11. aford10 said:
    You've probably broken the .exe file association. Download and run the exe registry fix.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

Beyond that, you can manually change the icon if that is bothering you. Within the program files location, there is usually an .ico file. You can go to the properties of the icon, and change its icon.

Can you please be more specific about changing the icon? how do i change it, from the very start? what do i click on?
  12. It's probably best to start your own thread, vs. necroposting on an old thread. I'll watch for the thread, but you can PM me the link.
Ask a new question

Read More

VLC Format Windows 7