Intel vs AMD for OpenGL/CAD

G

I use a model railroading CAD application called 3rdPlanIt. One feature is putting your layout in 3D mode and running trains on it. Lately, there has been quite a discussion regarding frame rates using two test files. People have various system components, but the one common denominator is that AMD systems (from K6-2 to XP+) run significantly lower framerates than Intel systems (Pentium 3 or 4) even if the Intel system has a "lesser" video card. Most of the benchmark tests out there base their 3D results on games. Apparantly this is not reflective for true CAD performance. So, a couple of questions:

1. Is there a benchmark program/test suite/whatever that accurately tests for OpenGL and/or CAD performance?

2. Can anyone comment on Intel vs AMD performance in OpenGL and/or CAD?

Thank you.

Pete

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It depends on the program. If it's specifically optimized for the P4, then the P4 is the way to go. Otherwise, get an Athlon XP because it has superior FPU performance.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

The developer (who is *VERY* responsive - over 20 updates to the program in February!) does develop on a low-end Pentium III system. However, he is unaware of anything processor-brand-specific in his code, yet we AMD users are seeing significantly slower framerates than our Intel counterparts.

I appreciate your response, but it doesn't really answer my questions.

Pete

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
1.) I don't know any benchmarks to test CAD performance but general OpenGl performance can be tested <A HREF="http://www.glexcess.com/" target="_new">here</A>. Download the benchmark GLExcess.
2.) Generally speaking, the Athlon XP is better than the P4 at CAD due to its superior FPU performance.

If the developer is getting better performance under a P3 than an Athlon then obviously he's doing something unorthodox in terms of programming. He might be specically checking for the presence of an Intel processor to use SSE for example. The Athlon XP supports SSE but it has been shown before that some older programs specially use SSE under Intel processors only. Try asking him if he has made any Intel-specific optimizations. Ask him if he makes use of SSE. If so, ask him how he checks whether the processor supports it or not.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"However, he is unaware of anything processor-brand-specific in his code, yet we AMD users are seeing significantly slower framerates than our Intel counterparts."

hope you don't mind my bluntness, but the P4 just owns when programs are properly coded for it. it's just something you'll have to get used to, sorry.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
hope you don't mind my bluntness, but the P4 just owns when programs are properly coded for it. it's just something you'll have to get used to, sorry.
So does any processor...

Any processor can be optimized for. In this case it's Intel, however, this can apply to any processor.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
hope you don't mind my bluntness, but the P4 just owns when programs are properly coded for it.
hope you don't mind my bluntness, but the P4 only owns when programs are de-optimized for the Athlon. Look to some <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1595&p=9" target="_new">real CAD benchmarks</A> for more accurate performance measurements. :tongue:

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"hope you don't mind my bluntness, but the P4 only owns when programs are de-optimized for the Athlon. Look to some real CAD benchmarks for more accurate performance measurements."

I hope you know that Maya and Max are not "real CAD" those are more like 3D animation programs! Studiotools is a "real CAD" software from Alias|Wavefront, afaik discreet has no "real CAD" program maybe they do, I don't know. go to cadenceweb.com to find out more about "real CAD" programs.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
just a little bit of info: if you want great performance in cad, get a professional opeggl card made specifically for cad and not for games (they can easily cost more than the entire system though)

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

TRENDING THREADS