Help buying a gaming laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

KazounexD

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hi guys,first im a guy from Peru,then sorry for my bad spanglish xD...well im really interesting to get a laptop and i want to know your opinion about the MSI GT780R-012US 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black)... is better than an alienware with 6970 crossfire or is worst???...is it worst,you can tell me how much worst???, by the way the MSI have a GTX 560M, i want to play games like WoW,Starcraft2,Diablo 3,The Witchers 2,Dota2,etc etc in ultra video settings, 19208*1080... is enough with the MSI? coz i know the laptops alienware are very expensives but they are the best option.

PD> the most important game for me is Diablo 3

Hello KazounexD;

The Alienware MX18 with dual 6970M Crossfire is close to being 'top dawg' in laptop gaming.

It's considerably more powerful than the MSI GT780R with it's single GTX 560M graphics card.

That MSI GT780R GTX 560M should give you excellent Diablo III gameplay on 1920x1080 resolution at High graphics quality settings.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M Check the StarCraft II performance chart for an idea (a very rough idea) on how Diablo III should run.

dadopro

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Asus g73 series are really good too. Very good cooling system. Alienware is a Dell company, they are like a Gucci of shoes. You are paying 500 dollars more just for the name. Its uneccesary. Just compare the hardware on NewEgg.com MSI is just fine as long as it has the latest graphics card or the best memory/hard drive and so on. HP Elitebooks are okay too. I guess if money is no problem go with Alienware.

KazounexD

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

Hi and thx for the answer,then yo mean the AW with 6970 single is better than the GTX 560M?

Rahvin

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
WR2, any idea why Radeon 6970M outperforms GTX 560M on Ultra, but not lower (esp'ly low) settings? I'm not familiar with the architecture of the different cards. Does that test account for variance in dedicated graphics memory?

The different amount of graphics memory is the last thing I would expect to make a difference - you'd expect to see that type of limitation kick in on the HIGHER settings, not lower. But it can't be discounted.

Anything from driver optimization to game engine architecture (where some games can favor either AMD or Nvidia cards) are more likely to cause that effect. There could also be differences in CPU and other hardware components that we're not aware of due to the mashup nature of those charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.