Sign in with
Your question

Internet Explorer issue - opens multiple pages automatically

Last response: in Windows 7
May 25, 2010 9:24:04 PM

OK, so I just built this new PC for my office. And all has been perfect since last week. Now, about an hour ago, Internet Explorer is giving me some trouble. Everytime I open a new page, IE opens up a mirror copy without my permission. For example, I open up a page and type in ESPN.com, and suddenly a second window opens that does the same. If I open a "new tab", the other page automatically does the same thing. Any thoughts on how this happened, and what's causing it? I've tried checking the Add-on's that are running, as well as restoring IE to it's default settings, all with no luck. I'm currently running Malwarebytes to see if it's some malicious software.

All comments or advice are appreciated. Thank you.
a b $ Windows 7
May 25, 2010 9:48:19 PM

If u have installed IE8 uninstall it and install IE7 and see what happen, after that update to IE8
m
l
May 25, 2010 10:07:38 PM

I'll try that, thanks. I'll post the results.

m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 26, 2010 1:05:09 AM

You could have a dodgy mouse button that is giving two clicks instead of one when you click it.
Another more likely possibility is that you have an add-on that is causing a problem, try disabling any add-ons in Internet Explorer.
m
l
May 26, 2010 2:23:15 PM

This is really starting to drive me insane. I've tried running malwarebytes, disabling all add-ons, reseting IE to default, System Restore's to dates where it worked properly, etc. Nothing cures the problem. Everytime I open IE, or a new tab in a page, a separate page identical to the one I legitimately opened, pops up. If I type in a website, the other page automatically does the same. This can't be safe. I'm at the point where I'm tempted to do a full system recovery, and fry the PC and start over.

Thoughts?
m
l
May 26, 2010 3:26:57 PM

Run an anti-virus/anti-spam/malware first, & if it doesn't solve the problem, then do a system recovery.
m
l
!