ATHLON XP runing all day long

maleficus

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
A friend of mine is about to buy lots of computers for a business (LAN PLAYING), and I dont know if tell him to buy XP 1800+ or Pentium 4 1800a. I really prefer Amd Xp, but the thing is that the machines will be runing 16 hours a day, or more, and I was afraid the Athlon Xp could not handle it. Opinions please.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Why can't it handle it? I run my Athlon PC for 24/7, most of the time.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Both can 'handle it'. If he is going into business on this, and you cannot honestly advise him which is better then he needs to get better advisers. I certainly wouldn't invest in him.

This is strictly a reliability/bang for $ curve. If he is buying the PCs ready made, then he need not worry about the usual arguements of installation troubles of AMDs killing the chip (due usually to user inexperience or carelessness).

Final concerns are, what is the warranty on the machines, how do they perform to their $ cost, and are they suitable for the task (configuration and build). The choice here between AthlonXP and Intel is irrelevant without knowing the options and prices they are being offered on each system.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

i've had my computer running for 2 months now about ... oh ya i have an athlon XP 1600+ running at 40 degrees (on full load, i run seti) celsius using an old aluminum GlobalWin FOP32 (i think it is) and the case temp is at 19C. It's all about cooling and knowing what you're doing.

You are putting together a computer not a lego house. So if you don't know what you're doing then get an intel or buy a dell. Usually people who don't know what they are doing and buy an athlon and crack the core or don't put the heatsink on right or don't put any grease on the core. And it just goes in flames upon turn on or just doesn't post and then he/she shouts "amd sucks" .. well it's a suffisticated piece of hardware. it's not your transformers that merge into devistator lol ok. Just need to read directions follow advice and problem solve. More then likely it will not work once you pop in the new chip. Just need to problem sovle as to why and follow directions (aka read the mobo manual). not saying anything other than (if you don't knowwhat your doing)->(buy a dell or go intel). it would save you much frustration. As the pentium 4 you don't have to worry about the core crunching or it overheating and dieing and putting the heatsink on wrong as i believe it has a heatsink install mechanism? if i'm wrong let me know.

If you do know what you're doing and/or do want to learn then yes the athlon XP runs just fine and it is faster then the pentium 4 1800 you would be buying. It is also cheaper. So you get a lot more for your dollar. With the athlon xp i've had it running for well over 2 months now and it's been fine. besides the occasional hard drive crash lol. but thats IBM and not AMD. I highly recommend you get a very good case. I love my Antec SX1040B and has a nice 400 watt power supply and it's pentium 4 ready ... i'm sure they have a newer model out by now so look it up.

good luck and have fun!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 03/14/02 09:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
FUD
Fear Uncertainty Doubt - even by asking the question that you are asking, you are spreading it.

AMD does not have any sort of reliability/compatibility issue. If someone tells you otherwise they are either an idiot or an Intel zealot (same thing I suppose).

As for a gaming cyber cafe using AMD processors, perhaps you should go to http://www.netheads.com and see what they are running.

I put my AMD under more gaming stress than probably anyone here (and yes I know that's a bold statement in such a forum...I stand by it).

I've never had ANY problems with my AMD. Don't confuse me with an AMD zealot either - an intel platform would perform just as well (my last gaming rig was intel)

G

The majority of computers on the network I administer are running AMD Athlons (60 out of 65), including my main server, running Athlon MP 1900+'s (it's always running), and most of my users leave their workstations on 24/7. No complaints! Reliability should not be a concern of your friend. Intel or AMD, either way he's safe.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"A friend of mine is about to buy lots of computers for a business (LAN PLAYING), and I dont know if tell him to buy XP 1800+ or Pentium 4 1800a."

maleficus, Intel systems run a lot cooler, less noisy are not prone to a core meltdown. AXP are a dead end solution in the face of the new tbreds that are coming soon from AMD. It is unknown yet, if they're(tbred) even compatible with any mainboard that's out today!

I would go for the P4 systems and put some real good Videocards in them.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
<b><font color=red><i>THE PENTIUM 4 RUNS HOTTER THAN THE ATHLON</i></font color=red></b>

So let it be written, so let it be done.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
maleficus, Intel systems run a lot cooler, less noisy are not prone to a core meltdown.
Lol, Northwoods do run cooler but Willamettes run hotter. Processor don't make noise, the fans do. Get that through your thick closed-minded skull AMDMeltdown.

AXP are a dead end solution in the face of the new tbreds that are coming soon from AMD. It is unknown yet, if they're(tbred) even compatible with any mainboard that's out today!
It is known, you unknowledgeable fool. The T-breds will be compatible with most of today's motherboards. The Northwood B, on the other hand runs under a 533MHz which many P4 motherboards can't handle (especially some of the DDR boards).

AMDMeltdown, if you can get your facts straight, maybe you'll gain a bit more respect in this community.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
Who gave you 10:1 odds? You should've gotten at least 25:1.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
A good point about AMD Socket A that your friend should not overlook is it's flexibility.

The Socket A is backward compatible ( can go as low as Duron Spitfire 600 ) and up to the not yet relased Thoroughbred, Thoroughbred-S and maybe the first Bartons.

On the long he will be saving money by not having to replace a motheboard every time he will want to upgrade a CPU.( I'll point out Intel's Socket 423/478/370/370 FC-PGA for an example )

That point can hold water only if your friend is willing to get some good Socket A motheboards with a powerfull memory controler solution ( I'm thinking DDR-333 Chipsets here ) That way he will be sure the memory bandwidth won't hold back the upcomming chips.

Fok Speling Misstake<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SidVicious on 03/14/02 12:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Lol, Northwoods do run cooler but Willamettes run hotter. Processor don't make noise, the fans do. Get that through your thick closed-minded skull AMDMeltdown."
Amd_man I have no idea where the willamettes came from but the original poster clearly is deciding between a 1800 AXP and a 1.8A P4 you should make a note of that.

also, I don't quite understand why you keep repeating to me-that the processor does not make any noise? does it confuse you when I say "system"?

It is known, you unknowledgeable fool. The T-breds will be compatible with most of today's motherboards.
read my latest AMD news.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Go AMD (XP1800 or 1900 for best bang per buck), 512DDR (KT266a mobo), RAID 0. This will make for a good performance core. And then go SBLive5.1 (as they're dirt cheap, and they produce awesome sound for such use as you speak of), two 7200rpm 40Gig hard drives should supply plenty of space to install plenty of software at high speed RAID 0 for a great price, and which graphics card? You pick. That will be $10K for the consulting..thank you. And don't skimp on the cooling! Get nice CPU coolers, get a PCI fan to place between your sound and video card, and hard drive coolers wouldn't be too bad an idea, as they make for good flow. Yeah, it will be a little noisy, but who's gonna hear that over the explosions? (headphones are a good idea if you're going to have "open pits")

Make that $20K, please.

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Intel systems aren't quieter than AMD systems. If you believe that then you are a fool.

AMDMeltdown, you are an incompetent fool. The T-Bred is compatible.

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Either chip SHOULD theoretically be fine, If you want overclocking to be an option I would suggest the northwood (but you might not want to overclock if the goal is a very stable system)

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Hrm... well, at this point, I'd have to say, that either would work just fine. As to performance, both will perform just fine. The 1.8A will overclock real nice, but running a server requires top-notch stability, so that shouldn't be a concern. I would go for the XP, only because I feel that it isn't until 2.2GHz that the P4 is able to consistantly outdo an AXP (at that point, the MHz difference is enough to give the AXP problems). But, you really wouldn't notice those small differences, so it's a matter of taste, ability, and needs. Either would work very well.

Actually, a gaming LAN might benefit from a dualie setup (correct me if I'm wrong, people) with WinXP Pro or other multi-CPU supporting OS, in which case, it's the Athlon MP all the way, since I know of no good P4 dualie solutions that don't require purchasing the expensive Xeon processor. Also, I think that RDRAM only comes in up to 512MB sticks, while DDR comes as high as 1024MB, so you can max out a board if you need to (and you might want to, if it's going to be a server)

My only stipulation was echoed above: if you are new to system building and unwilling to go slowly and carefully, just get a P4 and save the forum another "AMD sucks!" post.

-SammyBoy

maleficus

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
THANKS TO YOU ALL. I have already made myself up for the Atlhon 1800xp, KT266a, DDR 2100, and RADEON 8500. I live in Argentina so hardware is quite more expensive in here.
About my friend, he doesnt want to overclock.
I've choosen the XP because of the cpu and motherboard price. Atlhon XP configuration is much cheaper (and he has to buy 20 systems).
About the performance, I know Atlhon XP is much faster in Applications, but in games the P4 1.8a equals the Atlhon, and my friend wants it for gaming.
If they would cost the same (the cpu and the motherboard, the one I like for P4 is the I850), I would have go for the Pentium 4 only because of the processor temperature.
Again Thank you all.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A typical AMDMeltdown post! What else can we expect from him? And he isnt even paid for such a propoganda! Or is he?

Athlons would be much better than P4s for such application given their lower cost and superior performance since gameplay is always a heavyduty job, so he can invest in better graphics and gaming equipment.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>