P111-1GHz Alternative

G

I have a 10 month old 1GHz P111 machine which has a faulty motherboard. The company I bought it from have offered to give me a new 'equivalent' machine. I guess they'll offer me a 1GHz Celeron machine, but as I understood it the Celeron has a smaller cache and slower bus than the P111 and was not as good as a P111 of the same speed.

Could anyone tell me what is now an equivalent Intel processor to my 1GHz P111 so that I can make sure my computer store doessn't try and rip me off.

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
comparable would be a 1ghz p3 a 1ghz athlon or a 1.2/1.3ghz celeron. 1.3/1.4 p4. those bastards should just give you another p3 board.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, they are supposed to give you *equivalent or better* replacement! And since when was a Celeron 1 GHz *equivalent* to a P-III 1 GHz* especially when the price difference is as higher a ~$60???

Ask them to swap just the motherboard and retain the CPU. If they dont, you can rush to consumer forums, if you have them in your country.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
As long as it's "equivalent" your fine. Just compare every single part they offer to your current machine. If anything is slower or not as good as another part dont accept it. Haggle a bit, and be a [-peep-], eventually they'll wear down and give you something truly equivalent or better.

Good Luck

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The normal PIII 1000 runs at 133MHz FSB with 256k cache, while the normal Celeron 1000 runs at 100Mhz FSB and has 128k cache with slower interleave settings. The performance difference is as high as 30%-50%!!!

Even the Celeron 1200 Tualatin with 256k cache is slower than the PIII 1000EB. The closest thing in performance is the Athlon 1000C, but since it's a much cheaper processor, not equivalent in resale value!

Have them give you a replacement board with the i815E chipset. OR get an Athlon 1200, better performance and similar resale value.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Thanks to everyone for their advice. In the event I needn't have worried - but it was sure nice to be prepared. Those nice people at PCWorld (in the UK) gave me an Athlon XP1900+ with 256Mb DDR RAM and a GeForce 2 64Mb graphics card. The replacement machine actually sells for more than the machine I bought 10 months ago.

My only moan is that it has three fans one for the CPU one for the PSU and one just bolted on the back panel - it sounds like my car heater on full.

I don't know which one makes all the noise but I'm going to start with a decent CPU fan.

eden

Champion
Sweet deal, but the fans are somewhat exagerated. An AXP needs no fans unless you want to cool off the air.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Sweet deal, but the fans are somewhat exagerated. An AXP needs no fans unless you want to cool off the air.
Eh? Can you run that by me again? An Athlon XP needs no fans?

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
(I think) he meant that it should not need an extra back fan, although it does keep the case temp down. If he didnt mean that then he is still technically right, you could use a watercooler hehe =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!