Dragon naming conventions

Is there any site I can go to to find what naming conventions are for
various D&D dragon colors?

The metallics are sort of easy to remember, Au begins golden dragon names,
Ag begins silver dragon names, etc. It's usually the elemental shorthand.

I'm trying to come up with some names for dragon characters and I like these
naming conventions and would like to follow them but I can't remember how to
do it for chromatics or gem dragons or other types.

There used to be web sites galore that listed these just a couple of years
ago but I've googled and googled and I'm having trouble finding one now.

I don't even remember what the book is called that supposedly is the guide
to all this. I was planning to pick it up eventually.

Let me know if anyone knows these naming conventions, knows a web site where
I can read them for myself, or can help me remember the book title. Any of
these would be helpful. ^_^

I remember that red dragon names were supposed to start with Cr, (like
Cravincia. The metallic conventions I remember are Au for gold dragons, like
Aunica, Ag
for silver dragons, like Agcerul, Cn' for bronze dragons, like Cn'ylnna.

If people follow the naming conventions it tells you a little about the
dragon simply by the name, which can of course be reinforced by the story
you write.

I'd like to be able to find a list with the rest but I just can't seem to
find one anymore. I should have saved them when I had the chance :(

-Rubystars

Rubystars wrote:
> Is there any site I can go to to find what naming conventions are for
> various D&D dragon colors?
>

> The metallics are sort of easy to remember, Au begins golden dragon names,
> Ag begins silver dragon names, etc. It's usually the elemental shorthand.

I seem to remember something like this too. IIRC it was actually from
one of the dragon magazines.

> I'd like to be able to find a list with the rest but I just can't seem to
> find one anymore. I should have saved them when I had the chance :(

Always the case...

- Justisaur

"Rubystars" <windstorm@swbell.net> wrote in message
> Is there any site I can go to to find what naming conventions
> are for
> various D&D dragon colors?
>

> The metallics are sort of easy to remember, Au begins golden
> dragon names,
> Ag begins silver dragon names, etc. It's usually the elemental
> shorthand.
>

> I'm trying to come up with some names for dragon characters and
> I like these
> naming conventions and would like to follow them but I can't
> remember how to
> do it for chromatics or gem dragons or other types.

Never saw the list you're referring to but it sounds like they
used the element symbols from the periodic table for the pure
metals. Most of the symbols come from the elements' Latin names
(silver = Ag comes from Argentum, etc.) so just do the same for
the colors, gems, and non-pure metals. All you'll have to do is
find an English-to-Latin dictionary and make up your own 1 or 2
letter shorthand.

Or just completely make up your own naming conventions by what
sounds cool.

--

-smithdoerr

"smithdoerr" <askmeforname@vodafone.it> wrote in message

> "Rubystars" <windstorm@swbell.net> wrote in message
>> Is there any site I can go to to find what naming conventions are for
>> various D&D dragon colors?
>>

>> The metallics are sort of easy to remember, Au begins golden dragon
>> names,
>> Ag begins silver dragon names, etc. It's usually the elemental shorthand.
>>

>> I'm trying to come up with some names for dragon characters and I like
>> these
>> naming conventions and would like to follow them but I can't remember how
>> do it for chromatics or gem dragons or other types.
>
> Never saw the list you're referring to but it sounds like they used the
> element symbols from the periodic table for the pure metals. Most of the
> symbols come from the elements' Latin names (silver = Ag comes from
> Argentum, etc.) so just do the same for the colors, gems, and non-pure
> metals. All you'll have to do is find an English-to-Latin dictionary and
> make up your own 1 or 2 letter shorthand.
>
> Or just completely make up your own naming conventions by what sounds
> cool.

Well I thought these sounded cool. I think Topaz started with L' at the
beginning, now that I get a chance to think about it. The metallics are easy
to guess, as you said, but the others, not so much. I wish I remembered.
They were really great.

If you guys actually PLAY the games and you don't remember, then I wonder if
I should give up hope!

-Rubystars

Ok, I googled and googled some more and have a little more information which
might help people answer my question, if they want to help me.

I think the dragons were "Dragons of Krynn" and had something to do with
Dragonlance.

Also I found one web site which mentioned blue dragon names started with Az
(sort of like Azure).

Anyway if this helps and anyone knows the list I'm talking about, please
help me! :(

-Rubystars

In message <VDIpe.2345$%j7.2258@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, Rubystars
<windstorm@swbell.net> writes
>Ok, I googled and googled some more and have a little more information which
>might help people answer my question, if they want to help me.
>
>I think the dragons were "Dragons of Krynn" and had something to do with
>Dragonlance.
>
>Also I found one web site which mentioned blue dragon names started with Az
>(sort of like Azure).

That wouldn't explain Skie.

What would explain Skie is that the chromatic dragons derive names from
shades of their colour, or from the nature of their breath weapon. So,
in DragonLance you have red dragons called Ember, Flame, and so on; blue
dragons like the aforementioned Skie (as in sky-blue), Azure, etc.
Personally, I think that's a horribly cheesy way to go, but whatever
floats your boat.

For gem dragons... Well, the original (from Dragon) ruler of them was
Sardoire (IIRC), which I took as a reference to "sardonic", and have in
the past used that basis to name the gems after their individual
personalities (Belligaire, Sarkastoire, and so forth).

--
Ian R Malcomson
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"

Ian R Malcomson wrote:

> That wouldn't explain Skie.
>
> What would explain Skie is that the chromatic dragons derive names from
> shades of their colour, or from the nature of their breath weapon. So,
> in DragonLance you have red dragons called Ember, Flame, and so on; blue
> dragons like the aforementioned Skie (as in sky-blue), Azure, etc.
> Personally, I think that's a horribly cheesy way to go, but whatever
> floats your boat.

Well, those aren't their *real* names. Skie's name is really
Khellendros, for instance.

This may be of interest:

http://www.dl3e.com/reference/12180.aspx

It's a listing of (supposedly) all the dragons who have appeared in
Dragonlance novels. Many (but by no means all) of their names follow
the conventions mentioned by Rubystars, so maybe (s)he can derive the
rules from the list.

-Will

"Will Green" <will_j_green@yXaXhXoXoX.com> wrote in message
> Ian R Malcomson wrote:
>
>> That wouldn't explain Skie.
>>
>> What would explain Skie is that the chromatic dragons derive names from
>> shades of their colour, or from the nature of their breath weapon. So,
>> in DragonLance you have red dragons called Ember, Flame, and so on; blue
>> dragons like the aforementioned Skie (as in sky-blue), Azure, etc.
>> Personally, I think that's a horribly cheesy way to go, but whatever
>> floats your boat.
>
> Well, those aren't their *real* names. Skie's name is really Khellendros,
> for instance.
>
> This may be of interest:
>
> http://www.dl3e.com/reference/12180.aspx
>
> It's a listing of (supposedly) all the dragons who have appeared in
> Dragonlance novels. Many (but by no means all) of their names follow the
> conventions mentioned by Rubystars, so maybe (s)he can derive the rules
> from the list.
>
> -Will

Thanks to you both. ^_^

-Rubystars

Rubystars wrote:
> Is there any site I can go to to find what naming conventions are for
> various D&D dragon colors?

I have a fondness for using one-word Latin names for dragons.

Brandon

TRENDING THREADS