Radeon video card and SP2

Be sure to update your Radeon card after upgrading to SP2. I have a DIM
8300 with a Radeon 9800 card and after upgrading to SP2 I was constantly
getting hanging applications and crashes in my system expecially when
connecting or switching to IE Browser.

After days of trying to figure it out I finally found there was an update
to the Radeon card for SP2 which fixes this and several other things. You
can update it at Dells download center or at the ATI website. Everything
seems to be running faster now that I did this too.

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:08:07 -0700, Koan wrote in

> Be sure to update your Radeon card after upgrading to SP2. I have a DIM
> 8300 with a Radeon 9800 card and after upgrading to SP2 I was constantly
> getting hanging applications and crashes in my system expecially when
> connecting or switching to IE Browser.
>
> After days of trying to figure it out I finally found there was an update
> to the Radeon card for SP2 which fixes this and several other things. You
> can update it at Dells download center or at the ATI website. Everything
> seems to be running faster now that I did this too.

I haven't updated my X800 XT since installing SP2 and I have had zero
problems.

I also checked the Dell support site and only saw an old driver for my
video card and a control panel utility I get with the Catalyst drivers
already.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

David Casey posted:

>> Be sure to update your Radeon card after upgrading to SP2. I have a
>> DIM 8300 with a Radeon 9800 card and after upgrading to SP2 I was
>> constantly getting hanging applications and crashes in my system
>> expecially when connecting or switching to IE Browser.
>
> I haven't updated my X800 XT since installing SP2 and I have had zero
> problems.

Had zero problems (in that department) too after installing SP2 with a
X300SE nor with a Mobility 9600Pro.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:11:21 +0200, LaVacheQuiRit wrote in

>> I haven't updated my X800 XT since installing SP2 and I have had zero
>> problems.
>
> Had zero problems (in that department) too after installing SP2 with a
> X300SE nor with a Mobility 9600Pro.

I still haven't found any updates for SP2 for my ATI card on the Dell site
or anywhere else. Just old drivers.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

What video card Dave? If it is the 800SE, I installed the lastest ATI
drivers and it runs great? Dell has zero drivers for it on their website.
Not even the original drivers!

"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:11:21 +0200, LaVacheQuiRit wrote in
>
>>> I haven't updated my X800 XT since installing SP2 and I have had zero
>>> problems.
>>
>> Had zero problems (in that department) too after installing SP2 with a
>> X300SE nor with a Mobility 9600Pro.
>
> I still haven't found any updates for SP2 for my ATI card on the Dell site
> or anywhere else. Just old drivers.
>
> Dave
> --
> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> US Army Signal Corps!!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:02:48 GMT, WSZsr wrote in

> What video card Dave? If it is the 800SE, I installed the lastest ATI
> drivers and it runs great? Dell has zero drivers for it on their website.
> Not even the original drivers!

I have an X800 XT in my 8400. I have the latest ATI drivers for it from
the ATI website. The original poster said they had problems until they
downloaded an update for SP2 from the Dell website for their ATI card but I
haven't seen anything other than the old drivers.

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:02:48 GMT, WSZsr wrote in
>
>> What video card Dave? If it is the 800SE, I installed the lastest ATI
>> drivers and it runs great? Dell has zero drivers for it on their
>> website.
>> Not even the original drivers!
>
> I have an X800 XT in my 8400. I have the latest ATI drivers for it from
> the ATI website. The original poster said they had problems until they
> downloaded an update for SP2 from the Dell website for their ATI card but
> haven't seen anything other than the old drivers.
>
> Dave

I am the original poster. The update I used was for the ATI Radeon 9800
Pro. It was specifically for the SP2. I didn't use the Dell site though,
I downloaded it instead from ATI.com
Its release date was 09\14. Maybe there isn't one for your video card.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:21:10 -0700, Koan wrote in

>> I have an X800 XT in my 8400. I have the latest ATI drivers for it from
>> the ATI website. The original poster said they had problems until they
>> downloaded an update for SP2 from the Dell website for their ATI card but
>> haven't seen anything other than the old drivers.
>
> I am the original poster. The update I used was for the ATI Radeon 9800
> Pro. It was specifically for the SP2. I didn't use the Dell site though,
> I downloaded it instead from ATI.com
> Its release date was 09\14. Maybe there isn't one for your video card.

Can you provide a link or something?

We both have Radeon graphics cards so when I choose Windows XP, Graphic
Driver, Radeon family we're both taken to the same page. I just looked and
I see the 4.10's are out (I'm still using 4.9's) but I don't see anything
at all talking about update for SP2 except a link to MS's .NET 1.1 which is
required for Catalyst control panel.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just not finding it anywhere on ATI's
site but I would like to check it out.

Dave wrote:

Can you provide a link or something?

> We both have Radeon graphics cards so when I choose Windows XP, Graphic
> Driver, Radeon family we're both taken to the same page. I just looked
> and
> I see the 4.10's are out (I'm still using 4.9's) but I don't see anything
> at all talking about update for SP2 except a link to MS's .NET 1.1 which
> is
> required for Catalyst control panel.
>
> I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just not finding it anywhere on ATI's
> site but I would like to check it out.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8300&category=6&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=4401&devlib=6

Device ATI 128MB DDR RADEON 9800 Pro
Category Video Drivers

Driver

ATI 128MB DDR RADEON 9800 Pro, v.7.86-030330a-008623E-Dell, A05
Release Date: 09/22/2004
SP2 control panel display rotation. (Orginal driver is
A04_7.86-030330a-008623E-Dell).

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:00:21 -0700, Koan wrote in

> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8300&category=6&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=4401&devlib=6
>

> Device ATI 128MB DDR RADEON 9800 Pro
> Category Video Drivers
>
> Driver
>
> ATI 128MB DDR RADEON 9800 Pro, v.7.86-030330a-008623E-Dell, A05
> Release Date: 09/22/2004
> SP2 control panel display rotation. (Orginal driver is
> A04_7.86-030330a-008623E-Dell).

Ah, okay it was on the Dell site. I found it for my X800 XT now too after
looking at the link you provided. Hmmmm... I won't install it since I
haven't had any problems with SP2 and my card yet, but now I know where to
find it if I suddenly do. Thanks!

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:08:07 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Koan"
<dlerch@nospamuniserve.com> wrote:

>Be sure to update your Radeon card after upgrading to SP2. I have a DIM
>8300 with a Radeon 9800 card and after upgrading to SP2 I was constantly
>getting hanging applications and crashes in my system expecially when
>connecting or switching to IE Browser.
>
> After days of trying to figure it out I finally found there was an update
>to the Radeon card for SP2 which fixes this and several other things. You
>can update it at Dells download center or at the ATI website. Everything
>seems to be running faster now that I did this too.

No idea what you're talking about.

I did a search on ATI's web site for 'SP2' and for 'Service Pack 2: I found
that some of their newest drivers recommend having SP2 installed, but found
no mention of any kind of 'fix' for SP2 problems or anything similar to what
you're describing.

Installing ATI's latest Catalyst 4.10 drivers did fix a performance problem
that recently showed up in one game (Morrowind) but I think that was caused
by the previous 4.9 drivers, not by anything in SP2 or Windows XP itself.)

How about an actual link to this 'fix' or to information about the fix you
say exists?

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"Koan" <dlerch@nospamuniserve.com> wrote:

>Dave wrote:
>
> Can you provide a link or something?
>>
>> We both have Radeon graphics cards so when I choose Windows XP, Graphic
>> Driver, Radeon family we're both taken to the same page. I just looked
>> and
>> I see the 4.10's are out (I'm still using 4.9's) but I don't see anything
>> at all talking about update for SP2 except a link to MS's .NET 1.1 which
>> is
>> required for Catalyst control panel.
>>
>> I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just not finding it anywhere on ATI's
>> site but I would like to check it out.
>>
>http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8300&category=6&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=4401&devlib=6
>

> Device ATI 128MB DDR RADEON 9800 Pro
> Category Video Drivers
>
> Driver
>
> ATI 128MB DDR RADEON 9800 Pro, v.7.86-030330a-008623E-Dell, A05
> Release Date: 09/22/2004
>SP2 control panel display rotation. (Orginal driver is
>A04_7.86-030330a-008623E-Dell).

Koran,
I also see a second driver below posted the same date, 9/22/04, at the
site:

ATI 128 MB DDR Radeon 9800 Pro, v.7.97-031212a-013173C-Dell, A04

Just wondering what the different might be. This one is listed as v7.97,
but A04, the one you detailed is listed as v7.86, but A05.
Interesting! I'm assuming the v.7.86 stands for the driver version, I
could be wrong on that.
Charlie
Charliec

> I also see a second driver below posted the same date, 9/22/04, at the
> site:
>
> ATI 128 MB DDR Radeon 9800 Pro, v.7.97-031212a-013173C-Dell, A04
>
> Just wondering what the different might be. This one is listed as v7.97,
> but A04, the one you detailed is listed as v7.86, but A05.
> Interesting! I'm assuming the v.7.86 stands for the driver version, I
> could be wrong on that.
> Charlie
> Charliec

This is why I downloaded the most recent version from the ATI site cause I
couldn't make heads or tails out of what the Dell site said and I wanted the
most up to date one.

I also found out today that this upgrade didn't totally fix my problem. I'm
still getting Hanging applications, but they don't hang as long and don't
crash my computer totally like they were. I'm going to have to investigate
this some more.

Koan.