New CPU question

G

I have a Gateway Performance computer. It has the Jabil (Tabor 3) BX R4 motherboard (Part # 4000585) in it. Gateway's site says that the fastest CPU I can put in it is a P3 850. My question is why can't I put a P3 1Ghz in it? Same bus speed. Or how about a Socket 370 1Ghz CPU (with adaptor card(still trying to figure out if it will bump down bus speed))? Or should I just save my money? Just wondering. Thanks for any replies.

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
I'm running off a P3-450 and I'm just saving my money until the next major moterboard changes take effect. I'm looking to upgrade once maybe by the end of this year or sometime next when I know that the upgrade path for my cpu won't reach dead end in 6-9 months.

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Reason that board may not go any higher is it doesn't have the capability to run that high of a multiplier. BIOS updates often fix this, so long as the limitation isn't hardware based. Sometimes, too, the board will hold a chip higher than stated by the manufacturer, as it just wasn't around to test when the manual/article was written. But I wouldn't go purchasing an item that isn't openly supported by your motherboard, as you may wind up wasting you money.

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
jon, Intel processors are multiplier locked, motherboard settings doesnt have any effect on the multiplier. He has a older board that needs a good slotket adapter with onboard voltage regulator (like the Asus, MSI or Iwill ones) so that he can even install a P-III 1.1/100 GHz processor. I think his board wont support 133 MHz (at least I cant assume things, but if it does its good news!) so any 133 MHz FSB processors are ruled out since they will be running 25% slower!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Kidane

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
I think that the die size matters too. Some motherboards couldn't run the .18 micron PIII (either the E or the B means .18, I don't know which). Just like nowadays, some motherboards can't run the .13 micron P4, at least not without a BIOS update. I assume it will be the same with the Thoroughbred. This is off topic, but does anyone know if I can use a Thoroughbred with my Abit KT7A-RAID (rev 1.3)? I know it supports Palomino, but... I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Kidane

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
zidane, my money is on this.

Any motherboard which can run the axp, will be able to run the tbred.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Starting with which Pentiums are the multipliers locked? As I have successfully over-multiplied a PentiumII-233 (to a whopping 266!) AND A PentiumIII-533b to 600. The 533b was operating at 667 with some other adjustments, but I chose not to leave either one of these systems operating in those ranges for very long (just over a week), as I did not want to test the CPU's life at those speeds.

If I don't get my 90THz AMD Quadraplex system soon, I'm afraid I may just combust right here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Is that the Intel board? Are you certain that it supports the PIII 850? If so, then it will also support the special PIII 1000E (not the EB), which cost much more than the standard 1000EB because its rare. The 1000E is a 100MHz version, while the 1000EB is the 133MHz version. The 1000E therefore not only cost significantly more but performs significantly worse.

You'd probably be better off with the 850 because it's less expensive. At these high speed the memory becomes a major bottleneck considering it has to run at only 100MHz.

You can certainly use the Celeron 1200 Tualatin with the Powerleap IP3/t adapter on this board, giving you 1200MHz bragging rights and at least 15% better performance than the 850. But with prices as they are, I suggest the 850, as long as it works.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?