IS AMD PLAYING GAMES?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Games
  • AMD
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
March 14, 2002 3:46:04 PM

man, everybody keeps saying how cool AMD is, I don't see it.

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/tips881/" target="_new">check this out!</A>

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

More about : amd playing games

March 14, 2002 3:59:48 PM

I don't see what you're trying to get at.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 14, 2002 4:43:19 PM

Do you work for Intel or invest heavily in their stock? Or do you just dislike everything with AMD in it? Almost every company has problems getting products shipped according to schedules at some point. What is the big deal about ship dates that were probably only rumors to begin with.
Related resources
March 14, 2002 6:06:45 PM

this place would be a whole lot better without you a$$ holes (aka intel trolls)

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.
March 14, 2002 6:40:52 PM

You know, usually I laugh at AmdMELTDOWN just like the rest of you. This time though, the posted article actually has some good points. AMD really could be a little clearer. It is rather unprofessional.

Still, I won't hold it against them as long as they continue to force the CPU improvement game along so that we don't have another monolithic Intel-esk stagnation in CPU performance.

<pre>If you let others think for you, you're the
only one to blame when things go wrong.</pre><p>
March 14, 2002 8:35:59 PM

"this place would be a whole lot better without you a$$ holes (aka intel trolls)"

so that you a$$ holes (aka AMD trolls) can take over?

March 14, 2002 8:41:14 PM

that explains a lot, you cant let amd win, are you using intel to compensate for somthing? then when amd "takes over" you will be small again. your pathetic, get a freaking girl freind, go outside and stop pissing people off. and who are these amd trolls you speak of? i dont know of any one here that spends all their time finding articles that prove amd is better, and find articles that are nothing but opinion that loosly prove a point. i find it very interesting that you think you are so important that if you were no longer here amd would rule this board, does that tell you somthing? your the only one that cares about intel that much. let it go! intel aint the best in the game any more, how the hell can you deny that?

March 14, 2002 9:09:46 PM

jihiggs, if you don't like the AMD news I post then ignore it! or better yet, find some that directly contradicts mine!

looks like you need to go to AMDzone.com so you can feel safe surrounded by AMDfans talking about how great AMD is and how evil *ntel is.

March 14, 2002 9:16:49 PM

dont even try to turn this around, its very hard to ignore things that piss me off, and you piss me off more than any thing on this board. you really think i have time to go hunting around to disprove you? thats exactly what you want, attention. and who the hell said intel was evil? not me, i dont care either way, but for the moment amd is superior. your the only one that thinks there is some battle going on, intel fans and amd fans. its a preference not a religion.

March 14, 2002 9:24:55 PM

I don't see anything bad about this AMD news. Intel does it all the time.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 14, 2002 9:25:35 PM

*reads article*
hmmm

1. amd has never specifically said "we will release the tbred on the XXth of March". if i remember correctly press releases say 'scheduled to be released' meaning that they can change it.

2. they can do what they like, releasing it when they are ready

3. amdmeltdufus is just doing his usual thing... getting his rock off on finding bad amd info. sad really.

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:
March 14, 2002 9:35:03 PM

Meltdown is a lamer, but this sort of attack on him is exactly what he is looking for. Your reply will only encourage him to do annoying things in the future to get a rise ut of you and others....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
March 14, 2002 10:29:45 PM

Yup LH and to continue this...

AMD also said that they would maintain socket A/462 compatibility for the remaining life of the Athlon CPU. But people keep questioning whether their existing motherboards will continue to support the next generation Athlon. If I recall correctly, people asked the same thing when the AXP came out.

What was the answer?

BIOS upgrades to recognize the new CPU, but so long as the board was manufactured to AMD specs, they generally seem to have worked fine. I expect the same for the Thoroughbred and later Barton.

AMD already answered the question...yet people keep asking anyways. I have to wonder why...

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
March 14, 2002 10:59:15 PM

Some people are clueless to what "shipping working samples" means.

I laughed when I saw the post reguarding Tbred this month.

AMD is pushing very hard on production dates, and for good reason.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.
March 15, 2002 12:49:42 PM

Quote:
AMD also said that they would maintain socket A/462 compatibility for the remaining life of the Athlon CPU. But people keep questioning whether their existing motherboards will continue to support the next generation Athlon. If I recall correctly, people asked the same thing when the AXP came out.

The question has been kicked around even before then. When AMD released the AthlonC, there were plenty of people with SocketA motherboards who couldn't use the new 133MHz FSB chips. That question has been around almost as long as the SocketA standard. The answer has always gone: Sure, the socket won't change. However, the specifications for running the CPU in the socket will.

Quote:
What was the answer?

BIOS upgrades to recognize the new CPU, but so long as the board was manufactured to AMD specs, they generally seem to have worked fine. I expect the same for the Thoroughbred and later Barton.

I think the key phrase there is "<font color=green>so long as the board was manufactured to AMD specs</font color=green>". AMD has often in the past been <i>very</i> unclear on just what those specs are until there have already been chipsets and motherboards developed and sold which do not meet those specs. Case in point: AMD's thermal 'protection'. Sure, the chip now tells you when it is overheating. But did AMD actually write up any specs on how to develop a motherboard that properly protected the CPU using this until <i>after</i> numerous chip burnings? Case in point: The change from a 100MHz FSB to a 133MHz FSB. Case in point: The change in the CPU core voltage.

And once again, we are going to see AMD change the CPU core voltage a second time. While this in and of itself is good, I can <i>guarantee</i> that there will be SocketA motherboards which met AMD's 'specifications' when the motherboards were developed that will not be capable of running a Thoroughbred or Barton. How can I guarantee this? Because there are people out there using such SocketA motherboards right now that are unable to support even an Athlon XP because of AMD's lack of consideration for the future when they write their 'specifications'.

And I can guarantee that there will also be an extremely vocal minority of people too stupid to know their own system specs which will whine and moan about how their new Socket A processor (Thoroughbred) won't run in their SocketA motherboard.

AMD has proven that they are incapable of writing 'specifications' which include consideration for any real future changes. Instead they just update those 'specifications' whenever they release something new, and those who used products based on their previous 'specifications' are SOL.

While AMD might be very skilled at designing low-cost high-performance CPUs, they are very unskilled at writing specifications with as much consideration towards the future as to the present.

<pre>If you let others think for you, you're the
only one to blame when things go wrong.</pre><p>
March 15, 2002 1:50:06 PM

Quote:
The question has been kicked around even before then. When AMD released the AthlonC, there were plenty of people with SocketA motherboards who couldn't use the new 133MHz FSB chips. That question has been around almost as long as the SocketA standard. The answer has always gone: Sure, the socket won't change. However, the specifications for running the CPU in the socket will.

This is incorrect, any athlon c can run in an athlon b motherboard, albeit at a lower speed due to the multiplier, but unlocked you can run the chip at the same speed.

Quote:
think the key phrase there is "so long as the board was manufactured to AMD specs". AMD has often in the past been very unclear on just what those specs are until there have already been chipsets and motherboards developed and sold which do not meet those specs. Case in point: AMD's thermal 'protection'. Sure, the chip now tells you when it is overheating. But did AMD actually write up any specs on how to develop a motherboard that properly protected the CPU using this until after numerous chip burnings? Case in point: The change from a 100MHz FSB to a 133MHz FSB. Case in point: The change in the CPU core voltage.

AMD wrote the speccs when the tbred was released, they did NOT rewrite the specs after toms video, the speccs were NOT followed by fujitsu, this has been discussed ad naseum, but your information is wrong.

The specs are clear and in the axps technical doccuments.

As for socket a not following amds specs, if abit released a motherboard which did not folow amds spec and ran 2.5 volts to the processor, and it fried your amd, whos fault is it?

Abits of course.

Quote:
AMD has proven that they are incapable of writing 'specifications' which include consideration for any real future changes. Instead they just update those 'specifications' whenever they release something new, and those who used products based on their previous 'specifications' are SOL.

A bad conclusion drawn from incomplete facts, have you even looked up amds specfications, or do you just swallow whatever frank vokkel spoon feeds you?

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
March 15, 2002 5:27:36 PM

Are you bitching again?

<font color=red>If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</font color=red>
March 15, 2002 5:56:07 PM

THEN GO TO ANANDTECH AND STAY THERE SO WE DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOUR IMMATURE BITCHING ABOUT HOW GREAT ANANDTECH IS!

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 15, 2002 7:12:02 PM

change my sig ??

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Bitches</font color=green></font color=blue>
March 15, 2002 7:47:21 PM

Calm down mate ! You'll give yourself a hearattack especially with all those burgers you've been eating recently. :wink:

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>
March 15, 2002 8:46:19 PM

Hehehe
There's the pot calling the kettle black again.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
March 15, 2002 8:48:57 PM

Is skater whining about how the forum treats him and how much he loves other forums on our forum again?

LoL, and then he called burger immature, classic.

March 15, 2002 9:11:49 PM

Man, I just love that expression!

March 15, 2002 9:42:03 PM

Yeah, I love it when he says he's leaving and never coming back because Anandtech is so much better, then keeps coming back :lol: 

BTW, sk8er, what's your nick over at Anandtech?

March 15, 2002 10:47:55 PM

ahh the nice toms hardware community forums. I keep coming back for the nice warm cuddly abuse, trolls, and occasional (although less frequent lately) good information/help.
Only if all forums were this friendly :wink:

"Why can't I be the man? I mean, I DO have harmony balls..." -epoth
March 16, 2002 6:56:22 PM

If you're going to be a member of several different communities, then it's best not to tell one of them that they suck compared to another, yet keep on visiting it.

Either accept the forums for their differences or just pick one and don't go to the others.

I think that's what everyone is hinting to you.

<font color=red>If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</font color=red>
March 16, 2002 7:02:04 PM

Actually dh, skater says this forum is mean to him, when he insulted everyone for disagreeing with him many times, and he wonders why people dont like him here.

March 16, 2002 7:46:49 PM

Just look at his post that started this and my response that kept it going. This is just a matter of him not bitching and either accepting the community or leaving the community.

I personally want him to stay, but to stop complaining every other post.

March 17, 2002 1:25:14 AM

Perhaps when your child, freind, co-worker, or family member looks for acceptance and you simply ignore them and not acknowledge them all together. Its pretty simple he wants to be accepted. Give the young man a break. And dont go whineing about how he started it, its so second grade.

-Spuddy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
March 17, 2002 1:40:26 AM

What are you talking about?

March 17, 2002 1:44:49 AM

Yeah I didn't get him too.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
March 17, 2002 3:29:46 AM

"As with the concept of time and the things that run through it, so be the Good and the Evil." - Jeff Fuller

what i'm saying with every object, with every thing, there is Good and there is evil or bad, or Likes and dislikes; depends on what abstraction you use.

take this forum for example. It has it's good it also has it's bad. Like everything else. Every object has potential to more of one side then the other.

you could probably set up a formula,

U = Good
V = Evil

lim (p(U)) - lim (p(V))
U->Infinity V->Infinity

Get that probablility of both happening and thats the likely hood of an object being good or evil... or it's something i made up :)  ...

Understand the concepts that run through time so shall your wisdom? there are good and bad things within some thing and one outweighs the other.

tomshardware has it's good points, such as the good folks on the fourm and the bad points i point out. Like the Intel or AMD advertisements. But yet you don't get paid a dime from either of these companies. If you do get a paycheck then by all means advertise. Other than that it's just a waste of so much precious time to bicker about things that in the end just doens't matter.

i suppose i could have just said that instead of all the hoopla, but why, when i can have fun with all the critical thinking involved? :) 

just a matter of critical thinking, don't let emotion blind your logic. :) 

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
March 17, 2002 8:21:20 AM

errr... back to the topic at hand

slvr phoenix:
"While AMD might be very skilled at designing low-cost high-performance CPUs, they are very unskilled at writing specifications with as much consideration towards the future as to the present."

I know someone that writes those specs. Believe me, they are complete, thorough, and made with the future in mind. The fault does not lay with AMD. It lays with the motherboard manufacturers. All too often, they dont follow the specs or recommendations of AMD. Only to have to come back later and change things; like voltage. If they put the specs on their in the first place, like AMD said to, there wouldnt be a problem.
Secondly, Id rather jump through the AMD hoops then have to upgrade my mobo every other chip.. like someone else we know.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
March 17, 2002 12:46:26 PM

I'd laugh if the NW 533MHZ FSB had a sudden socket change. Hey has the P4 478 so far been the longest surviving socket yet?
If not, wait for Prescott...heh...

--
March 17, 2002 1:14:25 PM

no that'd be socket 370, ooh errr - was that fcpga2 now for tualatins? :smile: or 423 P4, oops, 478 P4, oops, 603 P4 'Xeon'? Oh well, not bad for 3 years work.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu
March 17, 2002 1:18:41 PM

Well I can understand Prescott being a new socket, given Intel's past experiences, but Socket 423 remains as one annoying change, which brought no real enhancements other than small chip and socket.

--
March 17, 2002 7:49:29 PM

there's no change from socket 478.

March 17, 2002 10:20:37 PM

yep. no socket change, but you will need a mobo thats 533 fsb enabled.
bit like the 100 -> 133 jump the tbirds did. same socket but revise your motherboards.

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:
March 18, 2002 1:27:30 AM

I could count that as Socket change if I had to, but it proves again you gotta pay more for new Intel modifications, unless you're an OCer.
That's sad, especially when it looked to be an attractive CPU with its new RAM and FSB. The cost will likely go above 1000$ in total, must not be fun in Autralia pricing, huh LHG?

--
March 18, 2002 1:52:01 AM

Pretty much all the current motherboards will work fine with a 133MHz external clock. At most you will need a BIOS update for the few motherboards that do not support it.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
March 18, 2002 1:55:15 AM

That is the question, to see WHICH manufacturers are going to do that, and which just starve for money...
I expect at least Asus to have BIOS flashes out.

--
March 18, 2002 2:32:28 AM

The Asus P4T-E will need one. In fact we have all been waiting for one. At the moment in order to run at a 133MHz external clock on that motherboard with proper PCI/AGP dividers you must use the dip switches. When you use dip switches with it, you cannot modify the vcore. Thus, all eyes are on Asus. ;) 

The Abit TH7-II already supports a 133MHz external clock with AGP/PCI fixed.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
March 18, 2002 3:42:08 AM

mate... NOTHING is fun in AU$ prices :frown:

Toms Forums. Destroying my sanity
one braincell at a time. :smile:
March 18, 2002 10:45:48 AM

Well it ain't that better in CDN prices, damn economy!
We pay 1.6 times instead of 1.5 now for US$, which destroys the usual stable price convertion. P4s 2.2GHZ are not the average buyer's list currently here...

--
March 18, 2002 12:19:26 PM

In answer to the original question of "Is AMD playing Games?"

The answer is Sure! Athlon at least, seems to excel at the latest games in general. It performs very well on most according to reviews.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!