Unable to boot from USB drive

vighnesh

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hello,

I tried to install windows 7 form usb and it shows "boot error" at first stage itself, but i can boot other system with same usb and it was even working earlier on my system too. And same happened when i tried windows XP usb booting but when i boot from CD it works. So is this something to do with my hardware like motherboard or bios or any other? Please help me resolve this isuue

Thanks.

Solution

vighnesh

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Thanks for the response, but I have already tried that thing and it will go till detecting USB boot. But when it's about to begin installation it gives error.

But if I try form CD/DVD boot it works fine. Still not sure why this is happening, as it was working earlier with same configuration. :(

One more thing I noticed is power to my USB mouse is intermittent, means for few seconds power to USB mouse will stop and comes back automatically. Does it indicates some problem with on board USB card, if so how can I identify the same, as it works fine with USB keyboard and also I confirmed mouse is not faulty by using it in another system.

Please help.

If you've got the flash drive in the front panel USB ports, move it to the back panel USB ports. Depending on the USB root hub that the USB port is connecting to, there are differing amounts of power supplied to them, so switching to a different port can get you onto a different USB root hub.

vighnesh

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

I already tried that but didn't make any difference, got the same error. Even tried new USB flash drive but no use. I cross verified whether USB drive working or not by trying to copy some data(both read and write operation) to flash drive in all USB ports and it's working fine. So I am not sure what is the issue causing this boot error. :(

Devank P

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

hi vighnesh i m getting the same issue what u have got.Did u find any solution??

vighnesh

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Hi Devank,

In my case the issue was with USB drive I used, which was USB 3.0 . Eventhough this was working for normal data transfer, it didn't work for booting. But when I tried with other USB 2.0 drives I didn't face any issue and booting was successful. Hope this might be helpful.

Thanks.

Christian Guercin

Reputable
May 14, 2015

Thank you so much! This was my problem

Solution