Sign in with
Your question

Athlon XP 1800 runs TOO HOT!

Last response: in CPUs
March 15, 2002 4:38:28 AM

I have a Athlon XP 1800 and even with the Dragon ORB, it will run to 51 Degrees Celcius and above on full load (and crash at some point). Even on very low load (like text editing) the CPU will run into the mid-40's (with my previous cooler 47 degrees!) eventually.

ARE AMD XP's SO HOT OR DO I HAVE A BAD CPU???

Please help!!!! It drives me barely nuts that I cannot get this thing stable.

More about : athlon 1800 runs hot

March 15, 2002 6:25:46 AM

thats it, im gonna puke. The AMD AthlonXP series is rated to run up to 95C.. You would be insane to run it that hot, but that is its theoretical limit.
51 degrees is fine. No your chip isnt bad. Look at the other 300 things on your system like:

chipset drivers
video card drivers
Sound card drivers
Outdated version of OS
old bios
need a patch?

point is, why in hell does everyone blame the damn chip when something goes wrong (like a crash). About 90% of crashed are OS related. Of the millions of errors I have ever seen, maybe 5 have been related to the chip. WHen in doubt - BLAME MICROSOFT !!
As for your temps.. maybe ya put the paste on wrong. Maybe the orb sucks, maybe the fan sucks, could be a lot of things. WHo cares if the temp is higher, unless your gonna overclock the crap out of it.. i wouldnt sweat it.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
March 15, 2002 6:50:02 AM

51c is fine. my xp 1.6 runs at that temp befor i've installed a second case fan. if u want 2 get your temp down. improve your case air circulation..install at least 2 fan ,one sucking air in and one sucks hot air out. and use AS3 between your cpu and hsf
Related resources
March 15, 2002 7:19:05 AM

Mine runs a little hotter but I m not worried. 53c to 62c. There was a space in my room I could put my computer but downside to it It had three sides to it. two sides are 2 foot and 4 foot wide. So I m not getting very good airflow. I could not find any other spot In my house for the computer.
March 15, 2002 8:18:45 AM

A friend of mine has got a XP 1.9+. He was also worried about his temperature getting above 50 degrees Celcius. He has got a powerfull hsf, though (actually, and you can call me dumb for it, I guess, what does that stand for?), a Suncore Copperstorm, if anybody cares. He did not use any case fans, so that could be the reaon. What did he do? He just drilled a hole in his case right nex to the cooler, so the air flows right out of the case. His temperature lowered by 6 degrees, now running comfortably at +- 45 degrees, getting close to 50 when overclocking his darling to 1680 MHz (140 MHz FSB). Maybe not an elegant solution (and most of all, far from quite) but it does work.

In comparison: Another friend of mine bought a Celeron Tualatin-system. Uses the stock hsf from Intel. Overclocks from 1200 MHz to close to 1400 MHz. Temperature remains stable (no difference between OC'ed system and normal one!) at 41 degrees. No additional case cooling, just the psu-ventilator. Amd definitely needs to get to .13 micron and cool things down a little bit! The XP 2100+ dissipates more than 70 Watt! I hope that problem is solved in the Tbred ...

Greetz,
Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>
March 15, 2002 10:40:36 AM

i VERY STRONGLY suggest you do some investigation before claiming its this or that.

first download & install motherboard monitor for reliable temp & voltage reporting.

then run a variety of programs...

prime95 or seti@home or superPI for cpu stress testing.

memtest86 for ram

3dmark for video testing.

while doing all this keep an eye on the motherboard monitor, look for temp spikes and voltage fluctuations.

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:
March 15, 2002 10:45:17 AM

It's either what everyone said here, or your cooler is just not that powerful. Try another one to see, and make sure it is well mounted as well as not too much paste.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
March 15, 2002 11:35:27 AM

as i know that dragon orb is not recommened for AMD XP series, try the new Volcano7+ and it will cooler your cpu, also apply ASIII.

follow this <A HREF="http://www.bench-house.com/cooling/autumn2002/cooler200..." target="_new"> link </A> for some coolers review, also check this <A HREF="http://www.gideontech.com/reviews/1qtr_cround/" target="_new"> one </A> and this <A HREF="http://www.3dxtreme.org/v7+p1.shtml" target="_new">one too </A>

wish if there was UnDo in the life
March 15, 2002 3:39:58 PM

OK, I need to explain a little. The system is starting to become unstable at higher temperatures.

First I had a Volcano FAN mounted that was AMD approved for that CPU. It would ran into 55 degrees on load but it would usually crash at that tempurature. I lowered the temperature about 3-4 degrees Celcius by applying Arctic Silver, and the system became much more stable.

Then I had to convert a PAL video into MPEG-1. That would be a 4 hour job, and it would crash fairly quick.

I mounted an extra fan on top of the fan and lowered the temperature 1-2 degrees. I was able to successfully convert the video, but when I ran a new job it crashed.

It was clearly on the edge.

Now I purchased the Dragon ORB, based on feedback from multiple websites like this.

To my surprise, the CPU will become 45-46 degrees when system is IDLE! I noticed this with the other fans, but I didn't think the Dragon would not be able to cool it down to 40 or lower on idle.

I have ran memtest and checked all other hardware. It must be the CPU as I can clearly correlate crashes with temperature of the CPU.

So the question is: can it just be that I have a bad CPU???

I think I'm going to get myself a cheaper AMD 1.4 Ghz for now and see if this helps.

I had numerous Intel CPU's and never had any trouble getting a system stable. I am somewhat disappointed with this CPU for that matter.
March 15, 2002 3:47:09 PM

A 1.4GHz Athlon runs hotter than the Athlon XP 1800+. You have a different problem. It sounds to me that the heatsink isn't attached properly.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 15, 2002 4:01:58 PM

What's your case temp? This could just be a problem of no airflow.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 15, 2002 10:22:28 PM

Believe me, the sink is flat on. Actually it's the 3rd sink and these all show similar behavior.

I think the CPU bails out on (relatively) low temperature, as I now come to understand that 51 degrees is not too hot. Rats...
March 15, 2002 11:05:30 PM

any casefans?
having a great cooler means bugger all if your case isnt ventilated.

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:
March 16, 2002 1:59:39 AM

Those temps are too hot for an XP chip. Mine runs a lot cooler than my T-bird 1.4 does and per spec pulls a bit less power.

Check to make sure you don't have the core voltage set too high. The XP takes 1.75 volts and they will heat up quickly if you crank the voltage up to 1.85.

Secondly, I agree with the other poster, you may not have the best fit of heat sink on the CPU. I always do a "test fit" putting paste on the CPU then sitting a dry heat sink on top, push it squarely down and then pick it up and see if it has good contact. You might also try lapping the base of the heatsink to get a better fit.

Scout
March 16, 2002 2:25:06 AM

Try opening and leaving case open, see if any heat dissipation helps.
Buy 2 case fans, position them in exhaust rear, and front air in. I am sure it's the case, otherwise a bad HSF or too much paste.

--
March 16, 2002 5:03:37 AM

Agreed:
- may be too much paste
- need case fans
- your room temperature is too high

Have you tried any other programs that will take hours to complete? I know any kind of video encoding/editing is CPU intensive. But also, the programs for them can be very buggy. Just because it crashes less when more fans are added doesnt mean its the CPU. Could just be a coincidence.
Try active cooling the chipset. And what is your room temp. anyway?
Finally, i apologize for my initial rant. After hearing more facts, i am more clear on your problem. I have sen many AMD chips run very stable at 52+C. Im stil more inclined to blame to software at this point.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
March 16, 2002 6:17:38 AM

agree with Eden. if it cools off with case open you need better case circulation. Also you mentioned earlier that you mounted a fan on top of another one. DON'T do that. That will not help. What's your CPU Voltage? should be 1.75. How about your FSB? What brand of memory? What memory settings? CAS2?? Dit you use Artic Silver paste? A very thin layer spread out with a credit card is the best. See their website.

<font color=green>"No Thoroughbred for you! Come back, 2 weeks."</font color=green>
March 16, 2002 7:44:04 AM

Quote:
It must be the CPU as I can clearly correlate crashes with temperature of the CPU

last week when i was visiting the distributer of Soltek board in the country i am living in, i went to the maintenance division and saw AXP1800+ with DRV motherboard and coolermaster 6I31C heatsink running 51c idle and 57-60c load. of course this is not regular with cooler master heatsinks, so we changed it with another one but the temp remained the same, this heatsink (cooler master) gives 41-43c idle and 49-51c load (V1.65). but when we changed the motherboard everything back normal

most probably your problem is with you motherboard, so if you have a friend running his xp normally you can try and install your cpu (using his heatsink not yours) and check the temps, in case it remained normal then bring your heatsink and install it on his motherboard also using your cpu, if it raised then your heatsink is bad (buy volcano 7+), but if it reamined cool or got 1-2 temps high then that means your motherboard is bad

wish if there was UnDo in the life
March 16, 2002 1:24:50 PM

my guess is that it is either power supply problems or system temperature related not cpu temperature. It could be that your northbridge or video card are getting too hot and crashing your system. As others have said, let us know your mobo type and model, case layout/setup, number of devices, power supply type and model and ideally ratings for 3.3V and 5v lines.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu
March 16, 2002 4:27:56 PM

Quote:
I have a Athlon XP 1800 and even with the Dragon ORB, it will run to 51 Degrees Celcius and above on full load (and crash at some point). Even on very low load (like text editing) the CPU will run into the mid-40's (with my previous cooler 47 degrees!) eventually.

AMD system always run hot and loud by default, in order to cool a system like this you will have to tuck all cables in and get more fans(at the minimum 5 fans) you will also need to do serious research on hsf because one week a hsf will be the fav the next week it is junk(thermaltake); no fault of the fan manufacturer it's the fault of the fragile and hot runing AMD cpu.

read up on the thermal guides at AMD.com and hopefully you'll have a decent runing sys, but there's no guarantee of it not sounding like a mini-Boeing 747.

also, if you do research on these boards, you'll find that the majority of AMD users are in fact running hot and loud, it is a normal thing for this type of sys.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
March 16, 2002 4:45:43 PM

Ignore this guy, his ignorant nature blinds him to attack AMD at every turn. I run my overclocked Athlon (which is a lot hotter than the Athlon XP) at 38C idle and about 42 or 43 full load. First of all, you can guarantee you get a quiet system with the right case and HSF.

Secondly, AMD processors are not loud by default, the retail HSF is a decent cooler that's extremely quiet. Willamette P4s also run hot, running hot isn't a problem. No you don't need 5 fans. All you need is a decent HSF and perhaps an exhaust case fan (although it's not necessary).

You can count on me, because I've worked with several Intel and AMD systems. The only thing that can cause high temps like that on the Dragon Orb (which is a decent cooler) is that it's not installed properly. The thermal paste or pad probably isn't placed properly.

Well then what do I recommend? I recommend you get a Volcano 7 and a decent Sunon low-speed case fan for exhaust. This is similar to what I have. My system is extremely quiet. In fact, it's quieter than my friends P4 1.7GHz with the retail fan, and my old old Pentium 133 as well as another P3-800MHz that I helped put together.

As for cases, Inwin, Antec and Aopen are my recommendations for cheap, effective cases.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 16, 2002 5:57:40 PM

Quote:
AMD system always run hot and loud by default, in order to cool a system like this you will have to tuck all cables in and get more fans(at the minimum 5 fans) you will also need to do serious research on hsf because one week a hsf will be the fav the next week it is junk(thermaltake); no fault of the fan manufacturer it's the fault of the fragile and hot runing AMD cpu.

Here we see amdmeltdownus maximus trollai, he is indiginious to the cpu region of the toms hardware forum continent.

Stay away from the cage, he has been known to bite and/or make lewd sexual gestures to anyone with an intel_inside sticker on their case.

Please refrain from feeding him, and do not make eye contact with him.

Pictures are available at the gift shop.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
March 16, 2002 9:46:35 PM

BRAVO, ENCORE!!
LOL!

--
March 16, 2002 10:26:43 PM

"Stay away from the cage, he has been known to bite and/or make lewd sexual gestures to anyone with an intel_inside sticker on their case."

I guess that I'm right next to the AMDmongrel cage, where the mongrels are the height of the mating season and guess what? they're all of the males species! and they smell too!

March 16, 2002 11:03:14 PM

And next you're going to start flicking boogers right?

Come on, you can do better than this...

<font color=red>If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</font color=red>
March 16, 2002 11:07:16 PM

I agree dh, amdmeltdown can at least TRY to be funny.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
March 16, 2002 11:10:00 PM

What do you think when amdmeltdown girl friend is a duck. Its the only thing his third Leg can get into. And even the duck complains Its Too Small. So they have to do it on his Head.
March 17, 2002 8:15:30 PM

Quote:
If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?

go f yourself! heh!

March 17, 2002 8:21:32 PM

Quote:
What do you think when amdmeltdown girl friend is a duck. Its the only thing his third Leg can get into. And even the duck complains Its Too Small. So they have to do it on his Head.

of course the duck's gonna complain, it's my "third leg"! :tongue:

March 18, 2002 1:30:01 AM

Some teens get affected more by hypocrisy and idiocy than others...
in my case and AMD_Man's, we just got more sensitive.

--
March 18, 2002 5:11:11 PM

Quote:
Some teens get affected more by hypocrisy and idiocy than others...
in my case and AMD_Man's, we just got more sensitive

boo hoo, cry me a river dude.

March 18, 2002 6:53:32 PM

I wish I could, but I am overcrowded with pity on you.

--
March 19, 2002 8:50:16 PM

Maybe the situation with all these hot and dangerous AMD systems with change with 0.13 micron process T-breds and Hammers. I mean, I hope so.

Until I am 100% confident an AMD processor is as good as a Celeron Tualatin or Pentium 4 Northwood, I won't buy another nor recommend to anyone.

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal
March 19, 2002 9:56:07 PM

My .13 P4 runs hotter than a lot of Athlon XPs. Granted, it's OCed, but still.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
March 19, 2002 9:56:35 PM

You might have a point with the northwood, as that has better thermal specs and protection, however, The Athlon XPs perform SO much better than the Celerons or the PIIIs, and have better motherboards to support them, as they are still current chips.

In general, heat is an issue that can be addressed with the proper time, and attention in your computer. However, the P4 does have better thermal protection, and until the Athlon does, it is more more sensitive to heat problems.

And, to address a point on a previous post, Intel and AMD have nearly identical warentees. It might be different in Korea, I don't know for sure, but it didn't sound like it.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.
March 19, 2002 10:55:47 PM

As I made it clear, it WAS different just one or two weeks ago to me. I myself told people to buy Athlon XP 1500+ since it offered simply the best performance for money. I bought KT133, KT133A, KT266, SiS735, nForce 420D, and so on. The situation changed very much here. Intel Northwoods are not so expensive even in Korea now. Athlon XP 1700+ price is just the same as Northwood 1600A though the former is about 40 to 50 percent cheaper than the latter in the States or in Japan. And now virtually NO AMD users may feel safe even if they never try to change cooler or try another thermal grease. Electricity is not as cheap as it is in the States here. Not many can afford to run air conditioning in the summer days and surely some Athlons will run at 50 to 70 Celcius.

Intel and AMD have nearly identical warranties and I know that and the situation was almost so here, too. But things change here unexpectedly. It was similar with Maxtor and Western Digital. I can't explain how business is done and consumer rights mean here in these short postings.

People here like Alpha 8045 and Zalman 6000 CU. They do care and spend great time and energy to make it better for their expensive Athlons.

By the way, Celeron Tualatin 1.0A can be easily overclocked to 1333MHz and I can buy TWO Celeron 1.0A at the price of ONE Athlon XP 1700+. I won't have to worry about any heat issue for Celerons and the probability for Celeron being burnt or broken will be much less. Also, I can buy TWO 694T boards at the price of ONE KT266A or SiS645 board.

I don't import mainboards from Taiwan manufacturers so I don't know exactly why it's so much different here.

March 19, 2002 11:01:48 PM

I have a retail Athlon XP 1600+ with the retail HSF. I usually run it at 1540 MHz. It's noisy and hot.

I also tried Northwood 1600A with the retail HSF overclocked to 2100+ MHz. It was silent and cool. I touched various points around the heatsink.

March 19, 2002 11:14:53 PM

I can see you are extremely biased against AMD for good cause, they seemingly altered their warranty policies. However, I'd like to point out that no company would do what AMD has been doing previously. No company will accept fried or damaged returns on electronics. This applies here in North America and also now applies in Korea. You're no different than here.

However, saying the retail HSF is loud is not true. The retail fan is relatively quiet. Granted, not as quiet as my current Volcano 7 but hey, that V7 only cost me $30CDN or $20USD. For the price of a dinner in a restaurant, I bought a relatively noise-free HSF. The Celeron 1A is nowhere near the Athlon XP in performance.

Why do you have to get a KT266A? You can get a SiS735-basd ECS K75SA for less than any other motherboard.

No, I'm not AMD biased, I'm am merely putting your points into perspective.

March 19, 2002 11:54:27 PM

I do have SiS735, ECS K7S5A specifically. Did you read that I have SIX Athlons? I have over 10 Athlon boards.

And you seem to treat me as if I am asking too much from AMD. Didn't I make it clear the way business is done here is different? The law is different, the culture is different, the very notion of CONSUMER RIGHTS is different. I think like an American but I was talking about the market situation in Korea specifically. What I said about AMD was from the Korean consumer's point of view. I DO NOT KNOW what AMD Sunnyvale has instructed AMD Korea and that was exactly what I wanted to find out in order to do something against AMD Korea.

You said "the price of dinner in a resturant" but do you know the price a dinner usually costs $3 or $0.3 instead of $30 in some countries?

Whether a retail HSF is loud or not loud depends on who decides in what situation. I said Athlon XP retail HSF is loud and Pentium 4 Northwood retail HSF is silent because I ran both systems at my home and I DO admit I am biased against AMD in this case but isn't the Northwood retail fan from Sanyo or Nidec while Athlon XP retail fan is from Cooler Master? Sanyo and Nidec fans bundled with Pentium 4 Willamettes and Northwoods are more silent than Athlon XP retail fans and that's what I pointed out.

I have two Zalman HSF, too. You may have already read about the fans from Anandtech or THG cooler reviews. The newer models have 92mm fans instead of 80mm ones. I have always said it'd be so much better if they replaced the fans with 120-mm 2000-rpm fans.

Celeron 1.0A users usually run them at over 1333MHz. Athlon XP 1700+ is twice as expensive but overclockable usually up to 1600MHz. With the retail fan and SiS735 board? Well, you already know the answer if you own an ECS K7S5A unless you modified it. Of course, Tualatin-compatible boards are much cheaper than SiS735 boards here. Exactly half the price of SiS745.

Finally, I'd like to ask you. Do you truly believe normal and average Korean people will voluntarily "fry" or "damage" their AMD processors? Anyway, Celeron 1.0A plus 694T board costs much less than single Athlon XP 1533MHz alone. If I were in the States, I'd buy Prestonia and i860 of course.

March 19, 2002 11:57:41 PM

I have seen some pretty insane overclocks from Asian countries where people pump up their voltage to nearly twice the default and stick the system in liquid nitrogen. Do they do this in Korea? I have no idea. Could this be a reason for more stringent warranty policies? Yes.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
March 20, 2002 12:16:36 AM

No. Maybe in Japan. If you looked for overclocking database in overclockers.com or VR-Zone.com, you'll see there is hardly any source from South Korea.

I have been in many hardware sites like THG or Anandtech in Korea but I never heard anyone trying liquid nitrogen or anything too exotic here. The very system running at my home right now has an Athlon AYHJA 1.0. Default voltage, default clock, default FSB, though CL 2 memory timing because I want longer life and lower temp.

Well, you are thinking in a logical way which is not exactly the way some people here do.

Personally, I prefer retail box packaged products only because they are 3-year warrantied and have a retail HSF. Some people buy Alpha 8045 or similary priced cooler here but they are very few and the price of 8045 is what average workers here earn in two days. Very many earn here 2 dollars per hour and as I pointed out before Athlons cost 50% higher than in the US. Koreans are not that insane or adventurous, nor luxurious.

March 20, 2002 12:25:50 AM

And the retail hsf isn't intended for overclocking. It's a medium grade hsf, not a high grade hsf. It's not too weak. It's not too strong. It's Just Right for the standard need.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
March 20, 2002 12:42:56 AM

I agree. However, when I bought Intel Pentium 100-MHz retail for over 100 usd in 1997, it had a Sanyo fan. The heatsink coming with Northwoods seems to me much better than the one with Athlon XP especially when Athlons are so fragile compared to Intel processors.

100 percent Northwood users I know personally use the retail HSF and NONE of them use them at default FSB. Well, I hope those Northwoods won't be dead one day for no apparent reason.

March 20, 2002 1:04:15 AM

First of all, Northwoods run at 0.13m. This makes them cool as hell, given their nature to be able to pump in MHZ, and the fact they are majorly stripped of many needed performance components, their temps are relatively low. Retail HSFs will of course sound more useful then.
It would be exactly the same thing if Athlons were 0.13m, and had been stripped of some components. But it is a standard "rule" almost, that any Athlons with Retail HSFs are made for home users who won't overclock. That is why a 3 year warranty is issued.
If you decided to overclock, you are as of then, a user that has voided his warranty. You are at no position to blame anyone for the results of your OC, especially when it's a Retail HSF. If you choose OEM, again you may use any cooler you find adequate, and use it, and OEM CPUs are generally targetted at the overclocker public. Which is why warranty is not needed.

Finally, warranty itself, as I stated, is next to useless man. You should not fret, because chances are you will NEVER touch the warranty ever. I mean I could buy a CPU with no warranty, yet I won't care! If Athlons have no heat protection, so what. Currently the majority are overclockers or enthusiasts. The majority can work their way making very good cooling, or use the Thermal Protection available in any mobo now, (not AMD's thermal protection diode though) where you can set the shutoff temp. My Epox 8KHA+ has a warning temp at 53º, yes that low, and shuts off at 60º. Since these are not accurate readings like the diode on the CPU die of the AXP, this means I have to set such low temps, as in reality the temp could be higher on the CPU die.

Conclusion: DO NOT WORRY. WARRANTY IS NEXT TO USELESS IN CPUs, EXCEPT RARE CASES. If you are one of them cases, please show us pics, you will be venerated forever here!

--
March 20, 2002 1:16:04 AM

Thank you for teaching me.

Did I ever say I want replacement for my dead Athlons? I never even called anyone or sent mail for that. Did I sound like I won't take responsibility for that 10 percent overclocking for my Athlon XP 1600+ retail?

I forgot to mention this when I wrote about that AMD Korea warranty thing. AMD won't sell any CPU except the 3-Year Warranty retail box products from now on in Korea. Of course, anyone in Seoul can fly to Akihabara in Tokyo just to buy an Athlon though.

March 20, 2002 1:43:12 AM

They musta given you a different hsf then I got. Mine is quiet as can be expected.....

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
March 20, 2002 2:00:07 AM

I use my computers with the side panels off. (they are so heavy.)

!