Athlon XP 1800 runs TOO HOT!

DutchBoy

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2002
I have a Athlon XP 1800 and even with the Dragon ORB, it will run to 51 Degrees Celcius and above on full load (and crash at some point). Even on very low load (like text editing) the CPU will run into the mid-40's (with my previous cooler 47 degrees!) eventually.

ARE AMD XP's SO HOT OR DO I HAVE A BAD CPU???

Please help!!!! It drives me barely nuts that I cannot get this thing stable.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
thats it, im gonna puke. The AMD AthlonXP series is rated to run up to 95C.. You would be insane to run it that hot, but that is its theoretical limit.
51 degrees is fine. No your chip isnt bad. Look at the other 300 things on your system like:

chipset drivers
video card drivers
Sound card drivers
Outdated version of OS
old bios
need a patch?

point is, why in hell does everyone blame the damn chip when something goes wrong (like a crash). About 90% of crashed are OS related. Of the millions of errors I have ever seen, maybe 5 have been related to the chip. WHen in doubt - BLAME MICROSOFT !!
As for your temps.. maybe ya put the paste on wrong. Maybe the orb sucks, maybe the fan sucks, could be a lot of things. WHo cares if the temp is higher, unless your gonna overclock the crap out of it.. i wouldnt sweat it.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
51c is fine. my xp 1.6 runs at that temp befor i've installed a second case fan. if u want 2 get your temp down. improve your case air circulation..install at least 2 fan ,one sucking air in and one sucks hot air out. and use AS3 between your cpu and hsf

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Mine runs a little hotter but I m not worried. 53c to 62c. There was a space in my room I could put my computer but downside to it It had three sides to it. two sides are 2 foot and 4 foot wide. So I m not getting very good airflow. I could not find any other spot In my house for the computer.

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
A friend of mine has got a XP 1.9+. He was also worried about his temperature getting above 50 degrees Celcius. He has got a powerfull hsf, though (actually, and you can call me dumb for it, I guess, what does that stand for?), a Suncore Copperstorm, if anybody cares. He did not use any case fans, so that could be the reaon. What did he do? He just drilled a hole in his case right nex to the cooler, so the air flows right out of the case. His temperature lowered by 6 degrees, now running comfortably at +- 45 degrees, getting close to 50 when overclocking his darling to 1680 MHz (140 MHz FSB). Maybe not an elegant solution (and most of all, far from quite) but it does work.

In comparison: Another friend of mine bought a Celeron Tualatin-system. Uses the stock hsf from Intel. Overclocks from 1200 MHz to close to 1400 MHz. Temperature remains stable (no difference between OC'ed system and normal one!) at 41 degrees. No additional case cooling, just the psu-ventilator. Amd definitely needs to get to .13 micron and cool things down a little bit! The XP 2100+ dissipates more than 70 Watt! I hope that problem is solved in the Tbred ...

Greetz,
Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i VERY STRONGLY suggest you do some investigation before claiming its this or that.

first download & install motherboard monitor for reliable temp & voltage reporting.

then run a variety of programs...

prime95 or seti@home or superPI for cpu stress testing.

memtest86 for ram

3dmark for video testing.

while doing all this keep an eye on the motherboard monitor, look for temp spikes and voltage fluctuations.

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:

eden

Champion
It's either what everyone said here, or your cooler is just not that powerful. Try another one to see, and make sure it is well mounted as well as not too much paste.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
as i know that dragon orb is not recommened for AMD XP series, try the new Volcano7+ and it will cooler your cpu, also apply ASIII.

follow this <A HREF="http://www.bench-house.com/cooling/autumn2002/cooler2002_001.html" target="_new"> link </A> for some coolers review, also check this <A HREF="http://www.gideontech.com/reviews/1qtr_cround/" target="_new"> one </A> and this <A HREF="http://www.3dxtreme.org/v7+p1.shtml" target="_new">one too </A>

wish if there was UnDo in the life

DutchBoy

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2002
OK, I need to explain a little. The system is starting to become unstable at higher temperatures.

First I had a Volcano FAN mounted that was AMD approved for that CPU. It would ran into 55 degrees on load but it would usually crash at that tempurature. I lowered the temperature about 3-4 degrees Celcius by applying Arctic Silver, and the system became much more stable.

Then I had to convert a PAL video into MPEG-1. That would be a 4 hour job, and it would crash fairly quick.

I mounted an extra fan on top of the fan and lowered the temperature 1-2 degrees. I was able to successfully convert the video, but when I ran a new job it crashed.

It was clearly on the edge.

Now I purchased the Dragon ORB, based on feedback from multiple websites like this.

To my surprise, the CPU will become 45-46 degrees when system is IDLE! I noticed this with the other fans, but I didn't think the Dragon would not be able to cool it down to 40 or lower on idle.

I have ran memtest and checked all other hardware. It must be the CPU as I can clearly correlate crashes with temperature of the CPU.

So the question is: can it just be that I have a bad CPU???

I think I'm going to get myself a cheaper AMD 1.4 Ghz for now and see if this helps.

I had numerous Intel CPU's and never had any trouble getting a system stable. I am somewhat disappointed with this CPU for that matter.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
A 1.4GHz Athlon runs hotter than the Athlon XP 1800+. You have a different problem. It sounds to me that the heatsink isn't attached properly.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
What's your case temp? This could just be a problem of no airflow.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

DutchBoy

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2002
Believe me, the sink is flat on. Actually it's the 3rd sink and these all show similar behavior.

I think the CPU bails out on (relatively) low temperature, as I now come to understand that 51 degrees is not too hot. Rats...

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Those temps are too hot for an XP chip. Mine runs a lot cooler than my T-bird 1.4 does and per spec pulls a bit less power.

Check to make sure you don't have the core voltage set too high. The XP takes 1.75 volts and they will heat up quickly if you crank the voltage up to 1.85.

Secondly, I agree with the other poster, you may not have the best fit of heat sink on the CPU. I always do a "test fit" putting paste on the CPU then sitting a dry heat sink on top, push it squarely down and then pick it up and see if it has good contact. You might also try lapping the base of the heatsink to get a better fit.

Scout

eden

Champion
Try opening and leaving case open, see if any heat dissipation helps.
Buy 2 case fans, position them in exhaust rear, and front air in. I am sure it's the case, otherwise a bad HSF or too much paste.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Agreed:
- may be too much paste
- need case fans
- your room temperature is too high

Have you tried any other programs that will take hours to complete? I know any kind of video encoding/editing is CPU intensive. But also, the programs for them can be very buggy. Just because it crashes less when more fans are added doesnt mean its the CPU. Could just be a coincidence.
Try active cooling the chipset. And what is your room temp. anyway?
Finally, i apologize for my initial rant. After hearing more facts, i am more clear on your problem. I have sen many AMD chips run very stable at 52+C. Im stil more inclined to blame to software at this point.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
agree with Eden. if it cools off with case open you need better case circulation. Also you mentioned earlier that you mounted a fan on top of another one. DON'T do that. That will not help. What's your CPU Voltage? should be 1.75. How about your FSB? What brand of memory? What memory settings? CAS2?? Dit you use Artic Silver paste? A very thin layer spread out with a credit card is the best. See their website.

<font color=green>"No Thoroughbred for you! Come back, 2 weeks."</font color=green>

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
It must be the CPU as I can clearly correlate crashes with temperature of the CPU
last week when i was visiting the distributer of Soltek board in the country i am living in, i went to the maintenance division and saw AXP1800+ with DRV motherboard and coolermaster 6I31C heatsink running 51c idle and 57-60c load. of course this is not regular with cooler master heatsinks, so we changed it with another one but the temp remained the same, this heatsink (cooler master) gives 41-43c idle and 49-51c load (V1.65). but when we changed the motherboard everything back normal

most probably your problem is with you motherboard, so if you have a friend running his xp normally you can try and install your cpu (using his heatsink not yours) and check the temps, in case it remained normal then bring your heatsink and install it on his motherboard also using your cpu, if it raised then your heatsink is bad (buy volcano 7+), but if it reamined cool or got 1-2 temps high then that means your motherboard is bad

wish if there was UnDo in the life

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
my guess is that it is either power supply problems or system temperature related not cpu temperature. It could be that your northbridge or video card are getting too hot and crashing your system. As others have said, let us know your mobo type and model, case layout/setup, number of devices, power supply type and model and ideally ratings for 3.3V and 5v lines.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Athlon XP 1800 and even with the Dragon ORB, it will run to 51 Degrees Celcius and above on full load (and crash at some point). Even on very low load (like text editing) the CPU will run into the mid-40's (with my previous cooler 47 degrees!) eventually.

AMD system always run hot and loud by default, in order to cool a system like this you will have to tuck all cables in and get more fans(at the minimum 5 fans) you will also need to do serious research on hsf because one week a hsf will be the fav the next week it is junk(thermaltake); no fault of the fan manufacturer it's the fault of the fragile and hot runing AMD cpu.

read up on the thermal guides at AMD.com and hopefully you'll have a decent runing sys, but there's no guarantee of it not sounding like a mini-Boeing 747.

also, if you do research on these boards, you'll find that the majority of AMD users are in fact running hot and loud, it is a normal thing for this type of sys.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ignore this guy, his ignorant nature blinds him to attack AMD at every turn. I run my overclocked Athlon (which is a lot hotter than the Athlon XP) at 38C idle and about 42 or 43 full load. First of all, you can guarantee you get a quiet system with the right case and HSF.

Secondly, AMD processors are not loud by default, the retail HSF is a decent cooler that's extremely quiet. Willamette P4s also run hot, running hot isn't a problem. No you don't need 5 fans. All you need is a decent HSF and perhaps an exhaust case fan (although it's not necessary).

You can count on me, because I've worked with several Intel and AMD systems. The only thing that can cause high temps like that on the Dragon Orb (which is a decent cooler) is that it's not installed properly. The thermal paste or pad probably isn't placed properly.

Well then what do I recommend? I recommend you get a Volcano 7 and a decent Sunon low-speed case fan for exhaust. This is similar to what I have. My system is extremely quiet. In fact, it's quieter than my friends P4 1.7GHz with the retail fan, and my old old Pentium 133 as well as another P3-800MHz that I helped put together.

As for cases, Inwin, Antec and Aopen are my recommendations for cheap, effective cases.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
AMD system always run hot and loud by default, in order to cool a system like this you will have to tuck all cables in and get more fans(at the minimum 5 fans) you will also need to do serious research on hsf because one week a hsf will be the fav the next week it is junk(thermaltake); no fault of the fan manufacturer it's the fault of the fragile and hot runing AMD cpu.
Here we see amdmeltdownus maximus trollai, he is indiginious to the cpu region of the toms hardware forum continent.

Stay away from the cage, he has been known to bite and/or make lewd sexual gestures to anyone with an intel_inside sticker on their case.

Please refrain from feeding him, and do not make eye contact with him.

Pictures are available at the gift shop.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Stay away from the cage, he has been known to bite and/or make lewd sexual gestures to anyone with an intel_inside sticker on their case."

I guess that I'm right next to the AMDmongrel cage, where the mongrels are the height of the mating season and guess what? they're all of the males species! and they smell too!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

dhlucke

Polypheme
And next you're going to start flicking boogers right?

Come on, you can do better than this...

<font color=red>If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</font color=red>