Sign in with
Your question

PC Boot Problem

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 14, 2003 6:59:36 PM

Hi! This morning I was shutting down my computer and it froze, so I just pressed the start button as usual and thought nothing of it. Well, later in the day I started it up again and it gets to the Goback screen and gives me an error that I must restart my system because of a CPU problem (overclocking) or HDD problem. I get out my boot disk and go to Fdisk to see if my drive is being recognized, and it shows it as a "Non-Dos" partition. So after that I thought that the Goback may be creating the problem, and I do "Fdisk /mbr" to see if that would fix the problem. I then restart my computer and soon after that it gives me a message that "starting windows 98... type the name of the command interpreter" error. That left me in an unhappy mood. So I then got my other drive from my computer and hooked the good drive up as master and the bad as slave, but when it boots up, I go to My Computer and find that it shows no appearance of the bad drive.

Questions: Is there any way I can read the bad drive, so I can copy the necessary stuff off of it to another drive? Would the "Fdisk/mbr" further messed up my hard drive? (Would that cause my good drive not to see the bad drive?) Is there any recovery software that may help, if possible free/shareware?

Thank You Very Much,
Pudgy

PC Specs:
Windows 98SE (FAT 32)
Asus A7V Motherboard
AMD Athlon T-Bird 1 Ghz
Western Digital 40 Gb Hdd
512 Mb Ram (Kingston)
Geforce (Original) (Creative)
Pioneer DVD-Rom
Sony CDRW
3-1/2 Floppy
Soundblaster Live! Value
Ethernet Card

More about : boot problem

February 15, 2003 4:25:51 AM

if you have "fdisk" your hard disk, then you may need data recovery programs or you could even go to the manufacturer of your hard disk for data recovery. unfortunately, this will cost you money!
but it should be worth it. nothing is for free these days!

mvsiangco
February 15, 2003 5:56:50 PM

Quote:
Is there any way I can read the bad drive, so I can copy the necessary stuff off of it to another drive? Would the "Fdisk/mbr" further messed up my hard drive? (Would that cause my good drive not to see the bad drive?) Is there any recovery software that may help, if possible free/shareware?

<A HREF="http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm" target="_new">http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm&...;/A>

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
!