CeBIT: AMD shows Hammer and Thoroughbred 2800

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
According to this site, the Thoroughbred should be available for purchase at the end of this month or early April. I wonder if the 2800 will come sooner rather than later. If binsplits are as good as AMD is indicating I can see AMD starting to release processors in PR200 speed increments like Intl is doing with P4.

Mark-

<A HREF="http://babelfish.altavista.com/urltrurl?urltext=&url=http://www.clubic.com/n/n5377.html&lp=fr_en&doit=done&tt=url" target="_new">Here's the link</A>

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
The link doesn't work quite right, can you give us the original?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
here is the correct <A HREF="http://www.clubic.com/n/n5377.html" target="_new"> link </A>, but it is not in English :(

wish if there was UnDo in the life

eden

Champion
Don't worry, not much really except they did run it at 2800. This leads to the fact it runs fully stable at such speed and that it is attainable without major factors or instabilities. This also indicates there is more to Tbred in its MHZ than just this much. This should prove quite competitive to Northwood for the rest of the summer. Barton, if out, should also help with SOI to ramp up even more. If PR2800 with Tbred, then imagine Barton! Around PR 3400...wait a minute that'd be Hammer....uh oh.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Probably slow connecting to Babelfish and then on to the actual site to translate from French to English

Ahh well.

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The tbred wont be marketed that fast unless intel decides to start a chipwar, which I doubt, the slower they release faster speed grades the more money both of them make.

Having said that, the hammer should begin its life as fast as the tbred can run at the end of it's own.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

eden

Champion
Hmm yeah now that you mention it, the K6-2 ended at 500 MHZ IIRC, and Athlon took from there but with substantially more performance than any processor out.

--

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Hmm yeah now that you mention it, the K6-2 ended at 500 MHZ IIRC, and Athlon took from there but with substantially more performance than any processor out.

yes historically speaking, all new chip releases have performed about the same as the fastest previous generation chip.( the p4 as well, the 1.4ghz p4 was pretty close to the 1ghz p3, although in some apps it lost quite badly).

The reason the hammer announcement made everyone go wow, is for some reason no one realized that a .13 micron shrink would allow the axp to scale to near pr3400 speeds(it was very funny to me when I posted my statement about clockspeed scaling, how many people rejected it out of hand based on little or no evidence to the contrary).

The axp should, if amd gets its way, be released at a final 2500-2600+ speed which will be even or close to even to the p4 at the time. Then comes hammer, if amd pushes intel too hard, they could accelerate the northwoods deployment, and with the 533fsb that would not be a good thing for amd, causing amd to devote resourses to releasing axps which will compete.(which while possible, would be costly lowering amds asp).

So, depending on intel, the axp can scale to ~2600 ish and then we have a huge performance leap to 3400 for the hammer, OR, the axp will scale to 2800-3200 and we have a performance gain, but not huge, from the hammers release which will then begin its ramping.

We will see.

Regardless, the overclocking community will do very well with the tbred, the 1800+ should overclock something fierce.

eden

Champion
Hmm the problem here would be that if we toppped Tbred at 3200, then Hammer at 3400, but not enough performance, makes you wonder if we could've used the Tbred at 3400 and had the same performance. This would somewhat lead to an underperforming or no new performance improvement processor. My theory was that a Hammer at PR3400 would definitly mean more than Tbird at 3400, and would really kick ass. It is confusing...

--

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Not really eden, see if the tbred was sold at 3200, the 3400 hammer would be faster, and it would be just begining its journey, so while if all goes well amd will have a nice 500-600 pr point jump in the hammer, they can with the axp go the distance untill the hammer is released.