multiple IP addresses for same network device

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I am running Windows XP on a Dell laptop using a
Microsoft MN-720 wireless-G notebook adapter with a D-
Link DI-514 wireless router. I also have my desktop tied
to the router through a NIC.

Every time I check my system status using the Microsoft
Broadband Networking Utility, it shows two desktop
computers attached to the router, with two different IP
addresses. There is definitely only one network adapter
attached to the router. I have reset everything to
factory settings and started from scratch, and I still
get two computer icons showing up on the Broadband
Networking Utility. Everything seems to work fine, but
I'm afraid it could lead to conflicts somewhere down the
road. Any ideas?

Are you running encrypted security on your LAN? If not, you may have a
visitor inside your system. I'd look in your base station logs to see who
is in your system, and would take a look in the support information for your
router, or ask the question in the D-Link support area. We don't support
that product in this newsgroup.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"dave" <borches@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP on a Dell laptop using a
> Microsoft MN-720 wireless-G notebook adapter with a D-
> Link DI-514 wireless router. I also have my desktop tied
> to the router through a NIC.
>
> Every time I check my system status using the Microsoft
> Broadband Networking Utility, it shows two desktop
> computers attached to the router, with two different IP
> addresses. There is definitely only one network adapter
> attached to the router. I have reset everything to
> factory settings and started from scratch, and I still
> get two computer icons showing up on the Broadband
> Networking Utility. Everything seems to work fine, but
> I'm afraid it could lead to conflicts somewhere down the
> road. Any ideas?

Chris,
Thanks for the quick reply! I am running WEP, and
there's no question these two addresses are for my own
desktop computer (I can get access to either, and both
contain the contents of my own desktop). I called the D-
link people, and they said they couldn't help me because
they didn't know anything about the Broadband Networking
Utility. I didn't realize you had an area specifically
for D-link issues. I'll take the matter up there.
Thanks,
Dave

Microsoft doesn't support the other product, Dave, which is why I was
suggesting finding a place where someone could give you real information
about what to do with the D-Link router. I don't know, for instance, if you
just go into the management section and remove one of the IP's attributed to
the desktop or not. And, BTW, if you're running XP on the laptop, you can
safely removed the software front end (BNU) and administer your MN-720 using
XP's built-in wireless controls. Make sure you turn on Wireless Zero
Configuration in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. :cool:
--

> Chris,
> Thanks for the quick reply! I am running WEP, and
> there's no question these two addresses are for my own
> desktop computer (I can get access to either, and both
> contain the contents of my own desktop). I called the D-
> link people, and they said they couldn't help me because
> they didn't know anything about the Broadband Networking
> Utility. I didn't realize you had an area specifically
> for D-link issues. I'll take the matter up there.
> Thanks,
> Dave

TRENDING THREADS