problems with my CPU's temperature....

G

CPU:AMD Athlon XP 1700+
MB: Gigabyte GA-7VTXE
RAM: ACE 256MB PC-2100 RAM
HD: Seagate BARRACUDA ATA IV 40GB
P.S. I haven't Overclocked and the Room temperature is about 23C

I have placed a LARGE copper Heat sink with two 7000rpm Delta Fans above my CPU(Arctic Silver 3 thermal compound added) when I go to the BIOS the TEMP. is 59C.....man it is too hot...when I open the Gigabyte Hardware monitor in WINDOWS XP and the Temp appeard as 64C...Any problem with this high temperature???

note: U have opened my case, and my CPU fans and case fan is blowing(1 in 1 out).
Heatsink name: similar to Cooltium TAK68 but the heatsink is made of Copper
Case Fan : Superred 8cm Fans

3-17-2002
Thank You guys, my overheat problem has been solved:)b.....there is really somethin' wrong, I used a piece of paper to test my CPU Fan...BINGO! they're blowing against each other, lol)now my CPU temperature is 55 degrees C.

But....I found another interesting problem.....When I was playing Yuri's Revenge or running Sandra 2002 CPU burn-in test my CPU temperature will drop down to 52 degrees C,haha anyway 50 something is acceptable<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ting_chun_lam on 03/17/02 04:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Flinkster

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
hardware monitor and bios temperatures are never accurate - they can be off easily by 30% or so.
anyways, check to see the 2 big fans are working against each other. if they are, reverse them so that one fan blows air in and the other out.

Also, it would be better to switch to a case where the PSU is not just above the HSF, if u have a case like that.

Any mystery devised by mortal mind can be solved therewith - Holmes

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
are u sure that've correctly installed the hsf? i mean did u install the clip properly. wat's the brand and model of your heatsink?

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
are u sure that've correctly installed the hsf? i mean did u install the clip properly. wat's the brand and model of your heatsink? oh... and u didn't slap on the hsf without any thermal compound did u?

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
A better question would be, do you have case fans? Without case fans, all that hot air has no where to go, and room temps of -40C won't make a bit of difference. I have a stock HSF and a 1.2GHz, and my temps stay down near 52C. If you have good case cooling (one fan in, one fan out), then you should reseat your HSF. And, just so you know, most motherboards will end up with the PSU right above the socket. It's just how most ATX board and case designs end up.

G

I have a 1700+ also. Mine runs between 60 and 62c.
I have a coolermaster 5500rpm. I keep the case open now and have 5" desktopfan on it...now it runs around 52 54c. Only thing is sometimes now it will lock up only when the desktop fan is on it. Weird i take the desktop fan off it and its ok. I can see when i add the fan my rpm on my coolermaster will reach up to 5900rpm.
What would be too hot under normal/gaming situations?
Is 60 too hot?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"I have placed a LARGE copper Heat sink with two 7000rpm Delta Fans above my CPU(Arctic Silver 3 thermal compound added) when I go to the BIOS the TEMP. is 59C.....man it is too hot...when I open the Gigabyte Hardware monitor in WINDOWS XP and the Temp appeard as 64C...Any problem with this high temperature???"

what hsf is this?
are the fans blowing at the cpu(towards the heatsink) or away from the cpu?

btw, two 7000rpm fans will be very loud as AMD users can attest to.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

dhlucke

Polypheme
I am currently in a room with somewhere around 17 P4 1.7 Ghz rigs. They're set up nicely but their fans are so loud that I can't even think. I'm going to guess that the dB in this room is approaching unsafe levels.

My point is that any computer is loud if you pick a pos fan.

<font color=red>If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</font color=red>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I keep saying that, but AMDMeltdown still believes AMD systems are automatically hotter and louder than Intel system. I've never seen a properly built AMD system run over 50c. When I first bought my Athlon it was running somewhat hot, but now with a cheap Volcano 7 and a couple of low-speed Sunon, my temps are in the 30s. when overclocked! Not only that, my system is practically silent (I have to move within 10-20cm of the case to actually hear the low-pitched hum) !

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

dhlucke

Polypheme
I think I'm going to go measure the dB rating in this room so that I can sue these people. They bought a bunch of new computers yesterday and they're completely out of control. BSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

BSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

<font color=red>If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</font color=red>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I have placed a LARGE copper Heat sink with two 7000rpm Delta Fans above my CPU
Two 7000 rpm fans on one heatsink??? My god, can you hear yourself think? Besides the noise level, that seems like overkill. Any decent heatsink should provide adequate cooling with one fan. Maybe the two fans are working against each other or something, but something is definitely wrong there. I have an aluminum heatsink on my AXP 1900+ and the max temp I get is 50C when my UD anthrax screen saver is running. I'd check to make sure your HSF is mounted properly, make sure your front case fan is sucking in and the back one is blowing out, etc. Or like someone else said, maybe the reported temp is just wrong. Are you having any freezes or lockups?

<i>I made you look. But I can't make you see.</i>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, yeah with a generic $40CDN ($25USD) case and 300W generic PSU. I was cheap at first, but then, I learn my lesson and purchased a 430W Enermax Whisper, and modded the case a bit.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm, yeah with a generic $40CDN ($25USD) case and 300W generic PSU. I was cheap at first, but then, I learn my lesson and purchased a 430W Enermax Whisper, and modded the case a bit.

umm, no need to back pedal and try to rationalize your contradictions.

everybody knows AMD systems are hot and loud and melt, you can keep dening this but it's not gonna go away.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMELTDOWN on 03/17/02 05:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
not so much hot and loud but a sucker for a decent quality power supply.

i too got a generic at first, and boy was it a POS. weighed half the weight of the enermax.
*note*
it also whold not have worked had i got a p4 either as all it had was the fdd connector, 4 molex and the main mobo connector, no aux power leads.

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile: