greasEdego

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
Hey, I'm building a new system cuz i'm gettin rid of my 2nd computer(celeron 900) and am building a system with an athlon xp 1600 and was just wondering what kinda power supply am i going to need? 300? Too small i think. So I'm guessing I'll need a 350 or a 400. Or would a 300 work? Thanks for your help guys!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If you have to buy a new one, then go for the 350, its only a small amount more than a 300, and it will serve you better in the future.

if you already have a 300w psu, it should work fine with the 1600+.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

greasEdego

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
I also just thought up of another question. The board I'm looking in to is an ECS K7S5A SiS® 735 SOCKET A MOTHERBOARD. Now, I've had bad experience with ECS with my old duron 650. My friend has this board and swears is solid. Any opinions on this board and I also was wondering if i put in 512mb pc133 in here if it'd run ok until summer when i get aroudn to buying 128-256mb DDR. I know ram is going up fast, but i can't spare the money right away for DDR. So I guess my new questions are would that board be ok and would 512mb pc133 work good enough till summer? Once again, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The ecs is a good board, the origional release was a bit shitty IMO, I personally had 4 doa boards.

However the everything I have read in the last 3 months points to a much better doa rate and a respectable stability.

It will work fine(albeit a tad slowly) with pc133 untill you are ready to get ddr ram.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

greasEdego

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
Ok thanks a lot! I really appreciate your advice and especially your quick answers because I wanted to get this done asap. I've been itchin to build a new system for awhile now, and now that I have a buyer for my celeron 900, I can afford it(I'm a poor college kid who pays 30 grand a year for tuition so i'm broke as hell from paying for school). New Egg here I come!!! :)

dhlucke

Polypheme
It's a great board, but you need to check the specs on your 300W supply to make sure it's ok. Generics have been known to work, but you might want to check up on the forum I'm posting a link to and see if you want a new powersupply. I happen to have a 400W antec supply that works great, but HonestJohn for example has a generic 300W with the same board. Others have had mixed results with 300W.

<A HREF="http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=27" target="_new">http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=27</A>

<font color=red>If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</font color=red>