diseasedmoose

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
What kind of pricing do you think will the new athlon have? How far do you expect the prices to fall within 1-3 weeks?

I'll knock you into next wednesday, or thursday. [-peep-], let me get my day-planner.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Probably the same as current models or less, due to the smaller die size.

AMD has always had good pricing, so it should be a bargain.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

eden

Champion
I suspect lower than current, compared to NW, because NW had core changes by adding cache, thus higher cost.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Intel sells NW for more - becouse they can...
AMD will do the same "Price/no' of pieces sold" esstimate to see how it can benifit the most.

the Smaller die size just means they will make even more money on it (not a whole lot more - FABing is just one side of cost).

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
true - though this might not translate into lower-prices for us... AMD might want to keep the price as-is now to make more money (just like Intel does with NW1.6,1.8.2.0).

eden

Champion
Personally these prices are more than fine. The only gripe I have is the current pricing on the XP2100+, being 400$, and that is not AMD pricing at all. This would be the price of a 2.2GHZ P4 usually.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Rob look at AMD's roadmaps to get an idea of the release speeds and times for the various AMD processors.

Thoroughbred will intro at PR2200 and in Q2 probably go to 2400 and 26 or 2800 in the second half of the year.

Beyond that comes Barton and Hammer, both of which will likely be above PR2800

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Im kinda happey AMD dosent sell its CPU dirt-chip as it used to. 400 USD is ok - its just about the price of a 2Ghz NW... and the AthlonXP 2100+ is slightly faster after all..

AMD probably rasied the avrage selling price becouse now with all the publicty they get - they might be selling each and evry chip they can pump out of Dresden (this happend for a couple of q' in 2001 also) so they can aford rasing the price for lowering demand (so they can still produce engoth processors to fill Market requires) without lossing market sher and also make more money...

I dont care - its not like im planning an upgrade anytime soon...

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Look for the CPU roadmap on the AMD web site.
Both Inquirer and The Register have links to the latest processor roadmaps as well, I believe.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I have the location bookmarked and here it is:

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_608,00.html" target="_new">http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_608,00.html</A>

Mark-