When did Dell start supporting USB 2.0 on thier systems?

Hi,
I am planning on purchasing an older GX110 or GX150 system or Dell
Laptop and I wanted to know if either of these systems support USB 2.0,
or will I have to purchase an add-on card and install it. Specifically,
when did Dell start supporting USB 2.0 on thier Desktops and Laptops?
Any help on this would really be appreciated.
Thank You!
8
answers
Last reply
More about when dell start supporting thier systems

    For the most part, Pentium 4 systems support USB 2.0. Pentium 3 and earlier
    systems do not. However, USB 2.0 adapters are available for desktop systems and
    PC Cards (PCMCIA) are available for notebooks to provide USB 2.0 capability.

    It's less a question of Dell supporting USB 2.0, and more a question of the
    motherboard chipsets, which either do or do not support USB 2.0.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:48:42 -0400, Tom Flanders <polyester@cheetos.net> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I am planning on purchasing an older GX110 or GX150 system or Dell
    >Laptop and I wanted to know if either of these systems support USB 2.0,
    >or will I have to purchase an add-on card and install it. Specifically,
    >when did Dell start supporting USB 2.0 on thier Desktops and Laptops?
    >Any help on this would really be appreciated.
    > Thank You!

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:48:42 -0400, Tom Flanders <polyester@cheetos.net> wrote:
    > I am planning on purchasing an older GX110 or GX150 system or Dell
    > Laptop and I wanted to know if either of these systems support USB 2.0,
    > or will I have to purchase an add-on card and install it. Specifically,
    > when did Dell start supporting USB 2.0 on thier Desktops and Laptops?
    > Any help on this would really be appreciated.

    The GX150's have USB 1.1 only.

    --
    Dale Dellutri <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> (lose the Q's)

    First OptiPlex with USB2 was GX240. First (Latitude) notebooks were first D
    series (March last year)
    As other posters comment, just add a PCI USB2 card if needed on older
    systems.

    hope this helps - Dan

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:44:21 +0000 (UTC), DanR <dan@dan.com> wrote:
    > First OptiPlex with USB2 was GX240. First (Latitude) notebooks were first D
    > series (March last year)
    > As other posters comment, just add a PCI USB2 card if needed on older
    > systems.

    > hope this helps - Dan

    It definitely does. I had searched the Dell website a while back
    looking for this very info, and posted the same question (which
    Optiplex have USB 2.0) in this newsgroup. No luck either way.

    Can you tell me how you found this info?

    > "Dale Dellutri" <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:48:42 -0400, Tom Flanders <polyester@cheetos.net>
    > wrote:
    > > > I am planning on purchasing an older GX110 or GX150 system or Dell
    > > > Laptop and I wanted to know if either of these systems support USB 2.0,
    > > > or will I have to purchase an add-on card and install it. Specifically,
    > > > when did Dell start supporting USB 2.0 on thier Desktops and Laptops?
    > > > Any help on this would really be appreciated.
    > >
    > > The GX150's have USB 1.1 only.

    I know this because I have some GX150's.

    --
    Dale Dellutri <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> (lose the Q's)

    Tom,
    I have an Inspiron 7000 bought in 1999. It is a Pentium II 366 MHz. It
    came with USB 1.1, I bought a PCMCIA USB 2 card. It worked but only at 1.1
    speeds. I was advised that the motherboard's chip set would not support USB
    2. Also tried this exercise on our HP desktop, running a Pentium III at 733
    MHz. Had the same problem. You probably need a Pentium 4 to get USB 2 to
    work.
    Paul

    In article <MPG.1bdd93b45ae0a4cc98968a@news.chartermi.net>,
    polyester@cheetos.net says...
    > Hi,
    > I am planning on purchasing an older GX110 or GX150 system or Dell
    > Laptop and I wanted to know if either of these systems support USB 2.0,
    > or will I have to purchase an add-on card and install it. Specifically,
    > when did Dell start supporting USB 2.0 on thier Desktops and Laptops?
    > Any help on this would really be appreciated.
    > Thank You!

    thanks to everyone who took the time to respond! This has been very
    informative! I'm going to just get a pentium 4 THANKS!!

    The statement that all P4 systems have USB 2 is just flat wrong. By about
    18 months.

    The Dimension 8250 and 4550 and newer are USB2. My Dimension 8100, which is
    a P4, is most definately NOT USB2.

    Check the specific model's specs on Dell's site before you buy.

    Tom
    > In article <MPG.1bdd93b45ae0a4cc98968a@news.chartermi.net>,
    > polyester@cheetos.net says...
    >> Hi,
    >> I am planning on purchasing an older GX110 or GX150 system or Dell
    >> Laptop and I wanted to know if either of these systems support USB 2.0,
    >> or will I have to purchase an add-on card and install it. Specifically,
    >> when did Dell start supporting USB 2.0 on thier Desktops and Laptops?
    >> Any help on this would really be appreciated.
    >> Thank You!
    >>
    > thanks to everyone who took the time to respond! This has been very
    > informative! I'm going to just get a pentium 4 THANKS!!

    Tom Flanders <polyester@cheetos.net> wrote:
    >when did Dell start supporting USB 2.0 on thier Desktops

    I've got a Dimension 8200 from 9/2002 here with only USB 1.1, and an
    Optiplex GX270 from 8/2003 with USB 2.0, if that helps. It'll
    certainly be system dependent. Addoncards are pretty cheap now,
    though...

Dell USB Systems Computers