AMD Warranty in Korea - Dead Athlons

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
AMD has recently changed its official warranty policy concerning its products, namely, Athlon, Athlon XP, Athlon MP, and Duron processors, both in tray bulk and box packages, in South Korea.

AMD WILL NOT replace, WILL NOT refund for any of its product for processors that were burnt or broken for any reason from anyone. Personally, I have bought SEVEN AMD processors: one Athlon XP 1600+ (3-Year Warranty Box), four Athlon Thunderbird (one AYHJA 1333MHz, one AYHJA 1000MHz, two ARGA 1000MHz), and two Duron 750MHz for the last one year and I have recommended numerous people to buy AMD Athlons and Durons because they presented simply the best performance for price ratio in everyday applications and killer apps such as MPEG-4 encoding and three-dimensional gaming.

Now, I feel AMD has betrayed me and hundreds of people around me feel exactly like I do in Korea. We paid about 50% more for those processors than Americans, Europeans, and Japanese. I know exactly what Athlon XP costs in Tokyo, PriceWatch, and the UK.

A few months ago, I tried to change the cooler on my Athlons in order to increase, not decrease, their lifespan. They ran so hot, so I wanted to make them cooler with larger (preferably, 80mm or 92mm instead of 60mm or 50mm) fans running faster (4600 rpm or 6800 rpm). In doing so, one processor died for no apparent reason and another died with its core part broken as if it were cookies! I have two Intel Pentium 4 processors and a few Celerons but nothing so exotic and dramatic happened to them.

I'd like to get a direct answer from AMD in Sunnyvale for this. Please give your opinions on what to do for us in Korea.

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal

FatBurger

Illustrious
If an AMD is burnt or broken, it's your fault, not AMD's. If it's DOA, then it's AMD's fault (or the retailer's fault).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
so if it dies after a month, which happens, it's NOT amd's fault?!

I'd have to verify about this warrenty issue in korea, if it's true I would NOT recommend anyone there buy any amd cpu's unless they change their policy.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Intel, should intel replace its processors if the user runs water on them to fry. Amd's warrantee is plainly worded, and anytime a chip frys its user error, and if the user uses the retail hsf, and fries his chip, he is still covered by warrantee, so I see no issue here.

The amd chip fries due to USER ERROR, and even if this is true(stranger with little/no post history isnt quite credible) it is no change from their official policy which is the same policy as intel.

When you buy a 3 year warranteed processor from amd, you MUST use the retail hsf to be covered by said warrantee. If you fry it trying wacky watercooling, they probably will replace it, IF YOU LIE ABOUT USING THE RETAIL HSF! If you tell them the truth, you have voided your warrantee, WITH YOUR ACTIONS!

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD WILL NOT replace, WILL NOT refund for any of its product for processors that were burnt or broken for any reason from anyone.

hey man! ppl just don't get it,...AMD is a POS company and it's more evident everyday. AMD cpu's are so f'n fragile-they'll crumble just by looking at them!

AMD is doing this because hardworking ppl who brought into the AMD hype are getting burnt everyday(+1000) and they are returning these POS chip back to those mofo's in order to get an exchange. AMD sees this and it's hurting them(AMD) big time.

AMDzealots will quickly blame you! yeah that's right, YOU! they will call you incompetent a moron an idiot! then they turn around and expect AMD to sell this crap to the avg joes? and wonder why AMD is not gaining any ground with the regular dell folk?

AMDzealots think that they've gain 100pts on their IQ's right after the installation of an AMD cpu, they act like f'n snobs too, but if you ask them to fix your toaster, well that's a different story.

the AMDzealots who buy an AMD cpu and have it self immolate never go for an RMA because they love AMD and the make keychains to honor of AMD, f'n crazy right?

they want me to stay quiet, they don't want to hear anything negative about AMD and when I do post, you should see the hysteria and the hissy fits! it's hilarious!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Amdmeltdown, you are a good example as to why america should have greater birthcontrol access, keep up the good work sir.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
you should see the hysteria and the hissy fits! it's hilarious!
You mean like <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">this?</A> :lol:

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Hey, guy, I'm no stranger here.

AMD chip fries due to user error? Who said it's due to user error? Just because you haven't read what I wrote on computers you say I am not "quite credible?" Ridiculous.

What I wrote about was about AMD official warranty policy in Korea. Who said anything about using non-retail HSF on the 3-year warrantyed AMD processor? I have one 3-year warranty box packaged AMD Athlon XP 1600+ but never ran it without that one.

What do you think warranty means? When does AMD have to replace or refund for processors it sells? Did I talk about any wild situation in which the user tries to experiment with several fans and overclocking the cpu? The reports I am hearing and reading: EVERYONE was denied the right for a replacement or refund here. That's why I said "for any reason."

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Well, I agree with you. There are people exactly like them over here in Korea, too.

Thanks to AMD Korea, they shut up, I mean most of the crazy teenager jerks did.

AMD is just being arrogant.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
AMD chip fries due to user error? Who said it's due to user error?
If you purchase a suitable HS/F, install it properly, use default voltage, and enable proper system monitoring, why would an Athlon fry? Only due to power surges or other faulty parts.

If you don't apply too much force, don't drop the chip, don't feed it to a steam roller or the like, how else would it get broken (especially with the new durable organic packaging)? Shipping damage, possibly, which the shipping company should cover, not AMD.

This is the same kind of warranty that Intel has had for years, even before Intel had thermal protection in their CPUs. I've built dozens of AMD and Intel systems, and out of all of them, the only reason I ever had to return a CPU was because a hard-mounted HSF (retail boxed Slot1 CPU) had a noisy fan.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
You called me a "stranger." People like you have polluted Tom's Hardware Guide community and that's exactly why I have restrained myself from writing here most time.

Birth control for what?

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
You must be kidding.

I have built hundreds of computers at my home for my personal use for 10 years. I was talking about AMD's official warranty in Korea, not about how AMD responded to my personal problem with my own processors.

Install it properly and use default voltage? I AM partly a system builder and have worked with AMD Korea on the FAQs and manuals.

So, exactly what do you think is the situation AMD has to provide replacement or refund? NONE?

There is NO such problem with Intel. People do not love Intel and most people are not very satisfied with Intel's warranty policy but most of them get proper services while AMD is denying virtually 100% of user demand here.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, AMD chips don't just fry. If they're not working you can still return them, provided they find that it is NOT user error. At least, that's what I understood from it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Kennyshin, the stranger says.

Hey, guy, I'm no stranger here.

your post count says you are.

What I wrote about was about AMD official warranty policy in Korea. Who said anything about using non-retail HSF on the 3-year warrantyed AMD processor? I have one 3-year warranty box packaged AMD Athlon XP 1600+ but never ran it without that one.

You sai you chipped a core and fried another core by looking for better cooling, so you looked for better cooling with the same heatsink?

AMD chip fries due to user error? Who said it's due to user error? Just because you haven't read what I wrote on computers you say I am not "quite credible?" Ridiculous.

Amd chips do NOT heat fry for no reason,there is ALWAYS user error involved.(or a broken hsf) a broken retail hsf is still covered by amds warranty.

What do you think warranty means? When does AMD have to replace or refund for processors it sells? Did I talk about any wild situation in which the user tries to experiment with several fans and overclocking the cpu? The reports I am hearing and reading: EVERYONE was denied the right for a replacement or refund here. That's why I said "for any reason."

First wheres your linkage, second, people who fry their chuips with the retail hsf do so immediatly, do to user error, cpus dont just magically fry after months of use, and dont expect anyone besides amdmeltdumbass to believe you.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
You called me a "stranger." People like you have polluted Tom's Hardware Guide community and that's exactly why I have restrained myself from writing here most time.

Birth control for what?

Your post count and title is stranger, are you dense?

I said, you made a statement which isnt backed up, and since your a stranger I have nothing with which to base my belief in your claims on.

So before you accuse me of poluting the forum and ruining the world, perhaps you should pay attention to what people say.

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
AMD chips don't fry if they are on the mainboards. They are safe if they are on the store shelves. That's what you mean.

Provided they find it is not user error? Did I say anything about user error? What I am talking about is AMD STOPPED replacement for virtually every case in Korea. People can still return them? You can? AMD Korea DENIDED that just last week.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Install it properly and use default voltage? I AM partly a system builder and have worked with AMD Korea on the FAQs and manuals.

So, exactly what do you think is the situation AMD has to provide replacement or refund? NONE?

There is NO such problem with Intel. People do not love Intel and most people are not very satisfied with Intel's warranty policy but most of them get proper services while AMD is denying virtually 100% of user demand here.

First of all, where is your proof this is the official stand, you have yet to provide any links.

Secondly, if it just affects korea then there is probably a reason, maybe the same kind of reason you can get windows xp for a buck there, but we dont know.

Thirdly, there are specific terms to a waranntee, and a 3 year amd warantee covers any damage to the chip which occurs if the retail hsf fails etc etc, it does NOT cover dumbasses who crack their cores, or fry their cores by overclocking etc, however MOST of those are replaced ANYWAYS at cost to amd because they arent nazis.

So consider this discussion over untill you prove your origional claim that amd does not honor any warrantees in korea.

PS: coming to a forum, and posting something, as a stranger, is one thing, when people ask for proof because they dont even know you, and you attack them, it makes you look like an idiot, just letting you know STRANGER.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Provided they find it is not user error? Did I say anything about user error? What I am talking about is AMD STOPPED replacement for virtually every case in Korea. People can still return them? You can? AMD Korea DENIDED that just last week.

Prove it.

And furthermore, if amd decides to be hard on korea and follow their PRE WRITTEN warrantee conditions more strenuiously, for whatever reason, thats just too bad.

Dont violate your warantee and it will be honored.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
If there is no way to do this, then why have a warranty at all, eh?

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
And here comes rayystonn with the anti amd comment, love the predictability of this forum.

Amds chips are warranteed the same as they always were, and we still await this persons proof of his claims.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
To protect against manufacturer defects. Frying your chip is not a defect.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Matisaro. Maybe I should ignore you. You do not know how to read and how to write.

People like you ARE corrupting this forum.

I changed the cooler on an Athlon 1GHz T-bird, not on the 3-Year Athlon XP 1600+. And did I say I wanted a replacement for my burnt CPU? It happened about 5 months ago. It was 3-4 days ago AMD Korea announced their changed policy throughout Korea.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I was talking about AMD's official warranty in Korea, not about how AMD responded to my personal problem with my own processors.
As was I. I used the pronoun "you" when discussing a hypothetical situation. Sorry if I implied clumsiness on your part or otherwise got under your skin.

I bring up my own experiences to illustrate a point that AMD or Intel CPUs almost never fail on their own.

AMD should provide replacement or refund for significant manufacturing defects, specifically situations like the rare jpeg issue. Guess what--they do provide such replacements. So does Intel; whenever anyone has been unfortunate enough to have one of the infamous 1.13GHz coppermines, or a CPU with a faulty hard-mounted HSF as I did, Intel has replaced it under warranty.

As I said, this is no different than Intel's warranty. If you fry an Intel CPU by pumping too much voltage through it, breaking the core when taking off the IHS (overclockers don't always like the IHS), etc. etc., Intel's warranty won't cover it. Back before Intel CPUs had thermal protection, it was the same: if your Intel CPU overheated, it was your fault, not Intel's.

Plus, I'll have you know that the situation you describe with AMD is how it has always been. If I had fried or broken my first Athlon a year or two ago, I probably could not have had it replaced under warranty. This whole thing is not news to me.