AMD mounting spec changed?

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
it doesn't make much sense... though supposedly it stems from not being serious partners with kyrotech anymore...
check [H]

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
damn! you beat me! I got the news from hard|ocp, they say: AMD is doing this after the owner of kyrotech died.[shock]

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
LoL, I hope that was a joke crash, the tbred will make heatsinks smaller, till the hammer, the holes arent needed anymore.

ALso, all motherboards out now still have the holes, and they probably will for some time, so its not that big of a deal at all.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"

aarona

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2001
I think it will be a really big deal to all the overclockers who love their watercooling setups because you know they will still want to watercool a tbred no matter how low the temps come at stock cooling. And I thought AMD specially catered to the overclocker in all of us.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The boards will have the holes for the forseeable future, and the holes do cause genuine technical problems, so I dont see a problem.

aarona

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2001
Do you mean new boards with newer and faster chipsets for AMD will come with the holes or just the currently made motherboards?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The new faster motherboards dont neccisarily need not have the holes, so I imagine you will be able to get a holed mobo for quite some time.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm... a holey question.

well we have allready seen one mobo without holes... i sure hope that i will be able to use my mcx-462 at least untill the end of barton, fist a ddr333 mobo in the near future then possibly a ddr400 later on.

Toms Forums. Destroying my sanity
one braincell at a time. :smile:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
In any case, the holes do not serve a purpose for most AMD users. Only hardcore overclockers may be disappointed.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
something to keep an eye on though.

i know... i think ill write an "ideal mobo wishlist" over in the mobo section :smile:

Toms Forums. Destroying my sanity
one braincell at a time. :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually I'm serious. I can come up with a list of at least 100 ways that both AMD and Intel are screwing us atypical end users. AMD and Intel are having a competition over who can suck the most.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I can come up with a list of at least 100 ways that both AMD and Intel are screwing us atypical end users.
I can imagine that. AMD and Intel are by no means perfect which is why I want a Pentathlon! :wink:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
Run along in the corner AMD_Man, and start imagining ATI and Nvidia together: The all-mighty NV-ATI Geforceon 9000.
:)
As for Crashman's comment, I dunno but I'll disagree on his rather rude comment than opiniative... oh well, maybe he's just getting too impatient and waiting for the damn Tbreds to come out and build them already...

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The both suck, its just for some different reasons, and some of the same reasons. Yes, I am an impatient man, or rather am at the end of my patience. We need another top technology processor company to push the technology forward, it's being held back by intent, by both companies.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I actually have to agree with Crashman. Both companies are purposely holding back on performance lately.

As for the holes, it isn't just the overclockers who are losing out here. It is also the professional workstation developers who simply want the absolute most assurance that when the abnormal happens, their system won't become a worthless pile of charred rubble.

<pre>If you let others think for you, you're the
only one to blame when things go wrong.</pre><p>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd rather have an KYRATIDIA Radi-Force 8504 II Ti running on my AMtel Athium 2.2+GHz.

Though in a year I expect to upgrade to an AMtel's chip codenamed Hamcott, that will be released under the official name of PentClaw. Not so much because I expect it to be the best possible CPU, but simply because it's all that I can afford.

What do you think Crashman? Do you want a PentClaw, with it's one-armed memory controller?

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>

aarona

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2001
Perhaps there should be a poll started here on who uses them big a** heatsinks to overclock? Do any of you in this thread overclock your AMD's? It doesn't seem to bother anyone here so I will assume for now you don't, but there is a lot of dismay being voiced around other places on this issue.

FatBurger

Illustrious
According to HardOCP they have. The original PDF is on AMD's website, as well. Check HardOCP for more info.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!