FatBurger

Illustrious
This is coming from a couple of different conversations with people, so here it is.

Challenge #1:
Any air-cooled Athlon system against my stock heatsink OCed P4. Think you can win? Let's see.
Straight and simple, case closed, no car turbochargers blowing in, etc. Just typical air cooling.
Benchmarks TBD

Challenge #2:
Think the Thoroughbred will overclock as well as the Northwood? Let's find out. Try to get an air-cooled 55% overclock within three weeks of them appearing on PriceWatch. You can use any Thoroughbred you want. Must be perfectly stable. I'm at 155%, which is why I picked that percentage.
Same thing, typical aircooling.

Just for the record (for those who don't know me), I have nothing against AMD, I loved my Tbird until my motherboard died. I'm just impressed with the OCing ability of the Northwood, and I'm trying to sway some people who think that a cheap, good performing Intel system is impossible.

I'd also like to do something to convince the people that think AMD runs hot and needs a million loud fans, or crashes all the time, or...etc. There's no easy way to do that, however.

Questions? Comments? Flames?

<i>Edited for clarity and bumped for those who haven't seen it.</i>

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 04/11/02 04:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
post those benchmarks soon...i wanna see how this turns out..

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Which benchmarks? I've got a few already posted in the OCing forum, look for my thread about overclocking my 1.6A.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
i am confused... do you want 55% overclock of PR rating or of the MHz...?

PR rating would be a cinch...
Mhz, we will see...

PR 55% would be a 1600+ to a 2500+
which is a 600Mhz overclock (1400-2000)

whilst a MHz overclock of 55% would mean
1400 to 2200 MHz, which would be 1600+ to 2800+
or 800 MHz...

there is a pretty big difference... especially for something with a much shorter pipeline...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Of the actual clockspeed. Matisaro has claimed that this is easily achievable, and I believe others agreed with him, though I don't remember who.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Think the Thoroughbred will overclock as well as the Northwood? Let's find out. Try to get an air-cooled 55% overclock (in relation to the 1600+, so 2.8GHz, correct?), within three weeks of them appearing on PriceWatch. You can use any Thoroughbred you want. Must be perfectly stable. I'm at 155%, which is why I picked that percentage.

The 1600+ is 1.4ghz, a 55% overclock on that would be 2.15ghz, Simple challenge.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Of the actual clockspeed. Matisaro has claimed that this is easily achievable, and I believe others agreed with him, though I don't remember who.
Sure thing, a 2.15ghz tbred, easy to acheive, :)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
BTW burger, they have already demoed a pr2800(2.2ghz) axp, so we win ;-).

1600+>2800+=75% scaling.

Remove a bit from the top assuming the 1600+ parts would have a lower topspeed, so we will say, 1600+>25--+~60% scaling.

Now to wait for the release to make it concrete.

However, if the lowest tbred amd releases is the 1800+, it may or may not achieve a 55% overclock, I would lean towards yes, in fact, yeah it could, they have demoed the 2800, which would be roughly a 60% overclock from the 1800+, so it is indeed possible even to have a production amd with a 55% scalability.

But since your challenge simply asked for any amd processor to reach 2.17ghz, it will be quite easy to achieve.

1600+=1.4ghz

1.4ghzx155%=2170mhz, or pr rating 2750.
(btw, pr rating and mhz both scale the same when multiplying by a %)

FatBurger

Illustrious
Mat, I clearly said a 55% overclock, stop putting words in my mouth and twisting around what I said! :mad:

Oops, the tables have turned, have they not? :tongue:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Mat, I clearly said a 55% overclock, stop putting words in my mouth and twisting around what I said!

Say what?? I didn’t put any words in your mouth.

Challenge #2:
Think the Thoroughbred will overclock as well as the Northwood? Let's find out. Try to get an air-cooled 55% overclock (in relation to the 1600+, so 2.8GHz, correct?), within three weeks of them appearing on PriceWatch. You can use any Thoroughbred you want. Must be perfectly stable. I'm at 155%, which is why I picked that percentage.
I can use any thoroughbred that I want, and you specify that the overclock is in relation to the 1600+, so restate your challenge, if the challenge is to get a tbred to run at a speed 55% faster than a 1600+ then that will be quite easy, 2.17ghz is all you need to have a 55% overclock over a 1600+.

You state 2.8ghz as a 55% overclock of a 1600+ which makes 0 sense, you want a mhz overclock from a pr rating???

If you mean a 55% overclock over stock speed(assuming there is a 1800+, then its so so, your comparing a 55% overclock from a hugely downbinned 1600+ to an overclock on a possibly downbinned but not as far downbinned 1800+, which IMO isn’t really fair, but that’s besides the point.

Your challenge said anyone could use any tbred to get an overclock in relation to the pr 1600+ chipspeed, so unless you want to clarify your challenge, that is easily done.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Oops, the tables have turned, have they not?

I dont follow burger, I didnt put any words in your mouth, your challenge is confusing, first you mention a mhz speed off of a pr rating which is nearer to 100% than 55, secondly you say ANY tbred, any tbred to do what? overclock 55% from a 1600+? or overclock 55% from stock? If its the former, that is quite a simple task, and has already been demonstrated.

If its the latter, then that possibility lies soley in amd to release a 1600+ or 1800+, which would be able to achieve it, 2.2ghz northwoods cannot get 55% overclocks aircooled, nor can 2ghz northwoods, so why should the 1800+ be able to do it.

The 1.6a is a special downbinned case, and only if there is an equavalent downgraded release on the tbred side can we show similar % gains.

HOWEVER, if we establish a top speed for the tbred which is faster than 2.2gha, then we can infer that HAD there been a 1600+ it would have overclocked 55% or more, JUST like the northwood 1.6a.

So, I ask you to please clarify your challenge.

aarona

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2001
Sorry for buddin in but,
I thought the challenge was clear, pick any AMD you want and try to get it 55% faster. I bet you would make up the rules as you go along even in a simple game of cards:)

FatBurger

Illustrious
I figured you'd make the connection, but I guess not. Oh well, life goes on.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Sorry for buddin in but,
I thought the challenge was clear, pick any AMD you want and try to get it 55% faster. I bet you would make up the rules as you go along even in a simple game of cards:)

No one is making up the rules, I left both avenues open, and asked for clarification.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
So I and everyone is clear burger, your challenge is as follows.

Take any tbred and try to get a 55% overclock over stock.

If thats the case ok, decent challenge, I would prefer we kept the downbinn amount the same, but its not the end of the world.

If amd releases an xp1800+ then it may or may not be possible.

1.53x155%=2.37ghz.

So we will see depending on what amd does, however, the 2000+ and 2200+ will most likely NOT get 55% overclocks simply because they are top end, just like the 2ghz and 2.2ghz northwoods cannot hit 55% overclocks.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I love how Matisaro uses an example of a unreleased demo machine and tries to pawn it off winning your challange.

I said I could score ~7500 on 3Dmark and that turned into one of THGC longest threads because he is a dumbass and loves to twist anything just to be a dick.

I posted a SS he whines its doctored, I post the real score he whines that I changed hardware, there is no middle gound with this whiner.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Although you never did hit 7500 with the hardware you had at the settings you claimed and with the drivers that were out at that point.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

eden

Champion
Simple, nobody beleives you. You put FUD in our mouths, you were trolling at AMD, why should we beleive you?
I believe Mat's challenge, and would love to see those doubtful faces when they see the results.
Go Mat, I hope you will be able to show us how AMD still remains the overclocking company, as well as ultra performance OCs!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
What if someone were to take their nice little Tbred to the northpole. Would that be considered cheating?

<font color=red><b>You must <i>be</i> the change you wish to see in the world</b></font color=red>