X@?!! Soltek SL-75DRV4 doesn't fit my Swiftech!

huges911

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I just my new Soltek SL-75DRV4 motherboard. As I wanna put my Swfitech MC462 cpu cooler on it, it doesn't fit. There is one capacitor right on the the top right conner of the heatsink. If the capacitor is 5mm more right then it will fit. So I'm just using the stock AMD heatsink. So WHAT SHOULD I DO?

huges911

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I was thinking to remove the capacitor using a heat gun...and then connect the capacitor with some wire and zinc so that it can be removed further from the heatsink. But I'm afraid to damage the motherboard. Do u guys think this is one of the possible ways I can do? Any more suggestions?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
1) Mod the Swiftech. You could possibly grind/cut a notch in it using a file, hacksaw, bench grinder, etc.

2) Mod the motherboard. I wouldn't go there myself.

3) Don't use the Swiftech. Harsh, I know.

Perhaps we should start running our own HS/F compatibility matrix?

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hm...well according to <A HREF="http://www.swiftnets.com/" target="_new">Swiftech</A> it is "MCX462: Fully compatible with all* socket A motherboards compliant with AMD specs, in single or dual CPU configuration. The new patent pending geometry is such that it fits entirely inside of AMD component height restriction zones. This allows clearance for capacitors located in areas close to the socket which are non height restricted by the CPU maker."

so i would reccomend contacting them and asking if this is a know issue. if so, since they said it was compatable with all boards, ask if they'll replace/refund it for you.

just noticed...that little star means this:
"(*) for installation through the four holes surrounding the processor socket. Some socket A motherboards do not have this feature. Please consult manufacturer specs."

but that's not your problem...

i tried looking at soltek's site. nothing about compatability on it. bloody slow as hell too.

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.

huges911

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Thank you for ur information first. Mine is 'MC462A' but not 'MCX462' The 4 conners of MC462 is totally a square with holes that u put screws for the fan.

But 'MCX462', they cut the conners already and they put the fan screw somewhere like among the pins. So if I cut that conner, there will be only 3 holes for the fan.(It can hold the fan tight though)

I live by myself and I don't have ANY tools for the mod of cutting the heatsink. Furthermore it's kinda thick, hard to cut...

And...*sign*..if u got a swiftech heatsink, would u mod it like that..? =(

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the swiftech site doesn't seem to differentiate between the 462 and the 462a...odd. on that note they don't mention the 462a at all.

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well f*ck a duck...i'm sorry. i spoke too soon. just found <A HREF="http://www.swiftnets.com/MC462.htm#4. Compatibility with Socket A Motherboards" target="_new">this</A> page. your issue is known.

WARNING!

Some motherboards, while in full compliance with AMD specifications, do feature capacitors that are taller than the clearance provided by these notches. In these instances, it is not possible to install the MC462 in its current design. Below is a list of known incompatible boards, which will be updated as we go:

Known incompatibilities (as of June 1st, 2001): Asus A7A266, Gygabyte GA-7DX, GA-7DXR Tyan Trinity KTA, Tyan S2462 UNG Thunder K7 dual CPU, FIC AZ11E

Possible remedies: some of our users have reported cutting one of the heat sink corners to allow mounting despite the extra tall capacitors. Although this solution is mechanically acceptable, any modification made to the HS will void the product warranty. Here are pictures of such modifications with an Asus A7A266 (thank you to Michael Sukach for providing these images):

huges911

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
What I know is the 'MCX' one, the pins are screw-like, but the 'MC' is not..anyways..

damn dude...I saw the pictures....fxck......

Guess I need to cut the heatsink....for sure better than mod the board...

Thx man.

huges911

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Today after my final exam, I decided to mod my board instead of cutting the heatsink. I just wanna see my heatsink without one conner (I know a motherboard is much more important than a heatsink...anyways)

I just use the soldering iron, melt the zinc at the back of the board. Take out the capatitor. Then use wire to connect the capacitor with the board.
And it works!! feel like successful to do such mod..now I can use back my Swiftech cooler...=)