Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I've started this list for the people who are in the market for a new HSF or new motherboard and want to know what will work. The way this should work for now:

Post or PM me your particular HSF+motherboard combo, and I'll post it in one of the two lists here. If you have a combo that's confirmed to not work, we'd like that info too. Please limit it to current sockets/slots (Slot1 or later). Please keep model numbers exact.

<font color=green><b>Combos that work</b></font color=green>:
Gigabyte GA-7DX + GlobalWIN FOP32-1
EPoX 8KHA+ + Swiftech MC462A
Abit KG7-RAID + Alpha PAL8045
Gigabyte GA-7DXR + Swiftech MC462A
Abit KG7 + Swiftech MC462A
MSI K7T266 + Swiftech MC462A
Abit TH7II-RAID + Northwood 1.6A Stock HSF

<font color=red><b>Combos that don't work</b></font color=red>:
Soltek SL-75DRV4 + Swiftech MC462A

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Kelledin on 03/20/02 03:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
My TH7II-RAID and Intel stock heatsink work :tongue:

The Switfy MC462 works with the Abit KG7, MSI K7T266, and Gigabyte 7DXR (I think, the AMD 761 one). Those could be useful.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
*bump*

I'm suddenly thinking I should ask Fredi to make this thread sticky.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Abit TH7II-RAID + Northwood 1.6A Stock HSF

You probably don't have to bother adding that. If someone makes a motherboard that the stock heatsink doesn't fit on (or the other way around), they're in major trouble. I doubt that'll ever happen.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
It's happened before--at least with SBCs. The most irritating was when Intel enlarged the stock HSF for PIII-800's about a year ago. One of my co-workers discovered it when he was installing CPUs on a dual-socket370 SBC--one fit, one didn't. Caused us major headaches for a few weeks.

That's one thing that slightly worries me about this list--what if one CPU's stock HSF gets altered? Hmmm...

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Really? Maybe it is a good idea then. I haven't heard of anything like that before.

There are two different retail heatsinks for the Northwood. They started shipping about a month ago with the Sunflower. That's a little smaller than the other retail (like I have), so it shouldn't pose any problems.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Volcano 7 with Asus A7M266
and
Volcano 7 with ECS K7S5A

both work

:cool: <font color=purple><b>You have just proven that signature advertising works!</b></font color=purple> :cool:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Oh, Volcano 7 on Abit KT7a-RAID, too. Forgot I installed it, even though I never really used it.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft