Your question

hammer use BGA

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Font
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2002 6:13:09 AM

isn't it time to go to BGA yet. i hope AMD makes BGA hammer, but that could be bad at the same time.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red> <b>go to my site </b> </font color=red> </A>

More about : hammer bga

March 20, 2002 6:20:18 AM

What would be the point? The processor would then be surface mounted on the motherboard, thus making it non-upgradeable. What's wrong with the current system?

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder
March 20, 2002 6:33:01 AM

no, it would be upgradable, but then people would have to be really very careful because they can put it on any way they want.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red> <b>go to my site </b> </font color=red> </A>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 20, 2002 6:36:52 AM

call me an idiot, but what is BGA?

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.
March 20, 2002 7:50:25 AM

Ball Grid Array does away with pins, replacing them with little balls of solder. Once installed the component is not removable so it can't be upgraded.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
March 20, 2002 11:52:41 AM

Damn double posts.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Kidane on 03/20/02 02:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 20, 2002 11:53:46 AM

That's what I said. The components have to be surface mounted (with solder).

What would the point be though? And BGA chips have a marking denoting where pin 1 is. The only difference with sockets is that they'r fool-proof (except for those ingenious fools of course) and you can only put it in one way.

I want to know what the point would be. BGA has it's applications, for example, video cards, north bridges, etc. The chips are easily upgradeable by the manufacturer, in case they want to fix something (ie. KT133A, Ultra version of a Geforce, etc.), but not for the user.

Kidane

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder
March 20, 2002 3:46:00 PM

not exactly, they can be made of gold. you simply take it off or put it on when there is the need for upgrade. :smile:

March 20, 2002 4:17:03 PM

The point would be that
AMD would limit the
average owner.

Then third parties have
no upgradability
for competition.

In the end only
AMD mobos will be
worth anyone's time.

That's how BGA
could benefit AMD
for future PCs.

Hopefully this will
never come to pass, because
that would be stupid.

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>
March 20, 2002 4:33:11 PM

there are other benefits that are much more important than this.

specially with higher speeds

<b> <font color=orange> Forum police </font color=orange> </b>
<font color=blue> Here to preserve respect and friendship </font color=blue>
March 20, 2002 5:02:42 PM

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there lived a man named Amdy.

Amdy had a great idea you see, for far and wide people were coerced into the belief that options were a good thing. Amdy though knew better. He would often be found saying, "Options you see, only lead to chaos. By using tweaks that restrict options for a tiny increase in speed, I can revolutionize the world by forcing everyone to use products that are mine and only mine, just for the sake of a tiny bit more power. And then I will keep chaos and disorder from everyone, and they will love me for both the speed and security that I provide."

But alas, when Amdy set up his corporate empire and followed this plan, the idea never caught on. The speed, well, it was negated entirely by the fact that the motherboard paths were still just as long anyway, so removing the socket didn't really help speed up anything. As for the reduction of chaos, well, that was achived. Now everyone chooses a platform that gives them choices and is easily upgradable because they care as much about the future as they do about the here and now.

And so, Amdy died a slow and horrible death at the hands of the outraged fanatics who tortured him with red hot pokers.

(This story is completely ficitonal. Any relations between the people portrayed in it and real-life persons are completely coincidental. Any views portrayed in this story are not the views of anyone, living, dead, or corporate.)

March 20, 2002 5:08:45 PM

can you give me short version

i don't read long ones

March 20, 2002 5:24:57 PM

I could say something like, "So you are saying that size really does matter and you prefer shorness?"

However, I'm being nice today. So instead I'll give you the abbreviated moral of very short story:

<b>LESS UPGRADABILITY = BAD</b>

March 20, 2002 8:16:57 PM

Quote:
LESS UPGRADABILITY = BAD

exactly, but gold BGA can be upgradable. you put it on or take it off!

March 20, 2002 11:50:42 PM

Well anyways who cares, I mean we seen Hammer, it's a socket, with "pins", that's all that matters...right?

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
March 20, 2002 11:52:14 PM

sure, why not

March 21, 2002 4:30:52 AM

here's a quote straight from the horses' mouth

[UPSIDE:] Can <b>gate-array</b> or semicustom technology create a successful processor?

[W.J. “Jerry” Sanders III:] Not a chance. Not in the PC space and not with the performance. If a guy builds a server, he wants performance. And what gives him performance? One of the things is integrated memory on a chip—a cache. What? They’re going to put an L2 cache or an L3 cache on a gate array? The chip would be huge, so it wouldn’t be cost-effective.

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.
March 21, 2002 5:06:49 AM

come again

March 21, 2002 5:13:22 AM

I'm afraid you are a bit lost in here.

Gate-array is something quite different then 'bump'-grid-array.

Gate-array is the logic thingy etched on the silicon and
BGA is a way to attach the chip on mobo.
March 21, 2002 5:30:56 AM

i stand corrected... i just assumed... could someone point me to an informative site about BGA's?

March 21, 2002 6:02:01 AM

thx.. that'll give me something to read...

March 21, 2002 6:57:28 AM

heh

i was thinking hard to see what you were saying :smile: