Shortcut targets not changing.

dgrin91

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I have Win7 installed on an HDD (C drive) that has all my stuff on it. Recently I bought an SSD (E drive) and today I have been migrating things over. I changed the registries so that C is my default installation drive using this guide - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/how-do-you-change-the-default-installation/73450b25-d794-4f18-9add-75253b893343. My problem is that some of my desktop shortcut's targets point to C:\.... for applications that are installed in E:\.... The start in field is still correct, but the target is wrong. When I try to change the target, I am able to edit it to E:\.... and click apply, but when I close the properties window it goes back to C:\.... Why is this and how can I fix it?

dgrin91

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I did. I uninstalled stuff form C:, then I changed the registries from E: to C:, then I installed stuff in E:. It is all successfully installed in E:. The only issue is that the shortcut in the desktop and in the start menu points to C: and causes an error because its not on C:. If I navigate to the folder in E: I can start it up fine by clicking directly on the application, but ofcourse I want shortcuts instead. However the shortcuts that are already there have an incorrect target as you know. The weird thing is that when I change it to the correct target via properties, it goes right back to C: