Sign in with
Your question

worth upgrading?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2002 10:50:17 AM

i oc my 1.2 athlon C to 1.466 :)  using the stock hsf....then it died :(  so i replaced with a duron 850 (cheap). is it worth upgrading to axp or waiting for the hammer to appear and upgrading to that? obviously i will need new motherboard as well if i upgrade to hammer... any thoughts on my best upgrade route?

how do you set a laser printer to stun?

More about : worth upgrading

March 20, 2002 10:56:45 AM

I don't want to blame you or anything, but didn't you ever learn that Retail HSFs are not for overclocking on Athlon 0.18m, especially Tbirds? Ayayayy....

Well anyway you look ready to spend. Hammer won't be out till next year, but it will have a price range of current AXPs or 20% higher.

My recommendation would be to get the AMD Athlon Thoroughbred core at 0.13m, coming soon in a few weeks. They will allow you to overclock much further than your current Athlons, possibly up to 40% overclocks with proper aircooling. If you will overclock, wait to see if they will release the XP 1800+ 0.13m, which is at 1.53GHZ. It should overclock up to 2.1GHZ and more. Otherwise get the latest Tbred, the XP2200, or above, but again you need to wait.
The motherboard is not a big concern for compatibility, you probably will need to flash if the Vcore doesn't change to 1.5 automatically. The Epox 8KHA+ or 8K3A are really nice. The latter does 333MHZ RAM supported, with VIA KT333 chipset.
Get brand name RAM like OCZ, Crucial btw, and make sure they are CL 2.

Good luck!

EDIT: Did anybody notice this guy's got a name pretty close to rcf184's?

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 03/20/02 07:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 20, 2002 11:04:46 AM

i know that the retail hsf arent really suitable for oc but my cpu temp didnt get above 60 under heavy load at 1.466 so i thought what the hell and left it to run at that speed...couple of weeks later it got the old sudden death syndrome... im not really wantin to upgrade the m'board unless i buy a hammer. i got the GA-7DXR fast and stable with plenty of features so pointless for me to upgrade it unless i want a hammer.... hammer = different slot

Related resources
March 20, 2002 11:26:33 AM

also what about the P4a at 2.2GHz? that seems to hold the performance crown at the moment? not sure if its worth the price though? which is best for divX?

hey i just use the username i was given when i joined the forum.. any similarity between it and any other member is purely coincidental :) 

how do you set a laser printer to stun?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rcj187 on 03/20/02 08:36 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 20, 2002 12:51:16 PM

If you don't fear overclocking and are considering a P4 2.2a, why not try a P4 1.6a with RDRAM and up the FSB to 133MHz? It would blow a P4 2.2a away.

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>
March 20, 2002 12:53:42 PM

cos i dont like rambus and im not convinced bout the advantages of rdram over ddr ram

March 20, 2002 3:04:57 PM

Not being convinced is completely understandable, since for the most part, single-channel DDR SDRAM and dual-channel RDRAM perform about the same.

For Pentium 4 systems though, DDR SDRAM has been dragging them down, and this likely won't change until either dual-channel DDR SDRAM is implemented for the P4, or until DDR400 is available for the P4. Until then, RDRAM overclocked to be running at PC1066 is most definately the king for a P4.

March 20, 2002 3:16:17 PM

but does a P4a with 133 rdram outperform a axp 2100+ with DDR333? is it worth all that extra money? i have no problem with going with intel IF its the best solution.

can anyone shed any light on how the Hammer will perform compared to P4/axp?
how do you set a laser printer to stun?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rcj187 on 03/20/02 07:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 20, 2002 3:50:13 PM

Decide for yourself.

<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020225/index.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020225/index.html...;/A>

(I prefer THG bechmarks because their graphics are so pretty. Tee-hee.)

Of course, to get the true potential out of the Northwood you either have to overclock it, or you have to wait for Intel to actually release it officially at 133MHz FSB. (And then you probably will also be paying a premium on the 'latest and greatest' processor <i>and</i> RDRAM.)

But then, to also get the true potential out of an AMD system with DDR333 you also have to overclock the Athlon's FSB to 166MHz. Which if you don't make sure to buy an Athlon with a low enough multiplier or that is already unlocked, means that you will probably have to unlock it yourself.

March 20, 2002 4:22:43 PM

Yep, or you could gte a 1700+ and run it at 166fsb, with a good heatsink its pretty much guarenteed to hit 2100+ stable.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
!