Interesting Jerry Sanders (AMD CEO) Interview

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
As always, Mr Sanders is quite outspoken! hehe

This interview looks to have actually been made in late 2001. Magazines often have a 3 month lead time between article writing and actual printing.

<A HREF="http://www.upside.com/texis/mvm/story?id=3c98da541" target="_new">http://www.upside.com/texis/mvm/story?id=3c98da541</A>

Sanders states that Microsoft is indeed working on an x86-64 version of Windows
He also states that UMC will be producing Athlons in their foundry deal with AMD, NOT Durons. AMD expects to manufacture around 12 million Athlons next year, at least that's what UMC's fab capacity will be.

All in all an interesting read.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zengeos on 03/20/02 10:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
What are the 64 bit windows XP drivers that nvidia has availible to download? They seem to work with quadros and are MS certified. is there a non mass marketed 64 bit version of windows or something?

MStakem

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Yes. 64-bit Windows has been out in beta for a while now. It is made entirely in the IA64 instruction set and thus works with any IA64 processor, such as the Itanium and McKinley.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
My favorite quote from that article:

So why is Intel building multiple 300 mm fabs?

Because their die is so goddamned big, they use that space up

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I have not read the article. If that is a quote from Sanders then he sounds like a troll. I wonder if he posts on this forum.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
I found some more quotes you might like Ray. But you really should read the article. Its interesting. SHould give you flame fuel for the next 6 months at least.

"there will be a 64-bit processor called the “Hammer.” That’s the internal code name, [and it has] a remarkable capability in that it is based on a Microsoft-supported instruction set developed by AMD"

....hmmmmm. I seem to remember you saying Hammer wouldnt have 64-bit OS to work on. We shall see.

"When we introduce that device—and we will—for the first time, we’ll have clear unquestioned superiority over anything Intel’s got. Having said that, we’re starting to hear what I’ll call more Intel FUD [fear, uncertainty, and doubt]. Vapors are drifting out (“Well, maybe they’ll introduce an x86 with 64-bit instructions; stand by.”) because customers are telling Intel, “We don’t like Itanium; we like Hammer.” If they would do that, I’d say it’s an acknowledgment and a validation of our strategy. AMD’s challenge will be to ensure that the customers aren’t dissuaded from going forward with an AMD Hammer solution, waiting for Intel to come out with their “sometime later.”

I can only guess he is referring to Yamhill here. If so, i find it funny a CEO using the phrase "intel FUD".

"

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
you have to understand that AMD is his baby... he has been screwed (legally and economically) countless times...

he hates intel... more than anyone on this board...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you have to understand that AMD is his baby... he has been screwed (legally and economically) countless times...

he hates intel... more than anyone on this board...
AMD was the parasite that Intel quickly flicked off! that's why AMD is pissed, they can't leech off Intel anymore!

If it weren't for Intel there would be no A.M.D. simple as that.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I certainly don't approve of the way he abuses his public position by constanly spouting what is really jut abuse. He enjoys ranting on about how bad Intel and their products are, but they are clearly doing something right, holding the largest market share and all that. I just think that maybe he should concentrate on running his company instead of touting invectives at Craig Barret. Secondly, Sanders is exactly an angle either, read Inside Intel, you will see that our merry Jerry is extracting payrises from the board whilst laying off hundreds of Engineers and AMD's cash situtation is nothing short of dire.

Never spit into the wind. Never eat yellow snow.

eden

Champion
Another troll was by your marketting department who had sent fake info to OEMs insulting AMD's PR scheme. They started touting that MHZ is everything, and that OEMs should refuse AMD, because the performance claim in these PRs drowns into lies and that the XP2000 is not better than a 2GHZ P4. We all turned this into a debate but we all knew this was Intel FUD.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
"AMD was the parasite that Intel quickly flicked off! that's why AMD is pissed, they can't leech off Intel anymore!"

Seems to me when AMD stoped "leeching" they actually made a chip as good as Intel's. SO in a way, Intel was holding them back. A more accurate description might be: AMD flicked off Intel to get away from their stagnant architecture. Once AMD stopped licensing their bus, then the competition began. Intels biggest mistake was "flicking" AMD off. Since the "flicking" Intel has lost approximately 12% of the market.

umm he's CEO. Do you have any idea what that means? It means he can BUY this forum if he wanted to!

A troll? Hello!? He's CEO of the company! Of course he's going to be biased with AMD! He made it! geeze ...

What is a troll anyway? Sounds like it has a double standard in multiple purportions. Now if your CEO of a company and you advertise your products you're a troll.

Me being a "neutral troll" i find the interview interesting. It's not only business it seems personal also.
AMD came a long way and i think people should see how fast AMD grew and it is very impressive. You have to admit that. If you are not this "troll" you would agree or agree of there success. You would also have to agree that AMD's goal seems more realistic. Smaller, better, and cheaper seems to be AMD's Mod'o. How can you go wrong with that?

Note:
Do not make any assumptions about Intel as i have not mentioned anything about Intel and i'm not making ANY compairisons whatsoever. I'm talking about AMD and AMD alone.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Also of note, Jerry Sanders is stepping down as CEO of AMD. First line of the article.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Stepping down from a corperation is a fairly big deal. I personally dont trust what he has to say in the fact that if AMD is rocking soo bad why is their creator leaveing them?

Sanders has been outspoken and has made a few bad calls over the years I would like to beleive most of what he says as opinionated garbage time and time again. Dont get me wrong that man has some balls of steel to hold ground against Intel. But the the whole KFC look he has going on just dont do it for me.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
The Chairman is technically over the CEO, but not on a day-to-day basis. Kind of like how Congress is technically over the President, but they don't sit over his shoulder and watch what he does.
I don't know if that makes sense or not.

The Chairman has a much, much less hands-on approach, in other words.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
I means he'll become the top dog on the board, the man in charge of proceedure, etc., but he won't have the power a CEO has, though I bet he'll be whispering things into his successor's ear many times.

-SammyBoy

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
If it weren't for Intel there would be no A.M.D. simple as that.
Perhaps, perhaps not. If Intel never was able to meet the production needs in the early '80s and needed help, then they either had to do what they did, or simply let the market suffer. If they had let it suffer, we would probably be about 10 years behind in computer technology from where we are today.

AMD may owe some of it's start to Intel, but without AMD, Intel chips wouldn't be affordable to just about anyone. The fact that intel has been forced to keep their prices down a bit helped lead to the dominance of the PC market. Without the lower prices, Mac might have a stronger foothold as well (I personaly think that price is a big factor in the lack of dominance in the market of macs).

Competition is what drives developement. That's why there are usually huge strides in technology durring War, as you get more research and pushing to find any edge over the competition. Capitolism isn't quite as cuthroat as war (Well, I sure hope not at least), but similar principles drive the success of a corpertation. Price wars, product wars, all this to struggle for dominance in the market.

Interesting food for thought.

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Without AMD we'd be running 900MHz Pentium III's or Apple G4's. Or hey, Maybe even Amigas. :lol:

<font color=red><b>You must <i>be</i> the change you wish to see in the world</b></font color=red>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Amigas were highly superior to anything when they were around. Shame Comador never felt like advertizing, else they might be still in business.

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...

FatBurger

Illustrious
basicly the big guy that just sits back and watches and makes sure his baby is doing ok ?

Pretty much, but it's not necessarily the ex-CEO that's the chairman.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
OEMs should refuse AMD, because the performance claim in these PRs drowns into lies and that the XP2000 is not better than a 2GHZ P4
Is there something wrong with this? An XP2000 is not better than the Pentium 4 2.0A.

-Raystonn