Running games with "Limited" users in Win XP Pro

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I have Windows XP Professional. My PC is used by myself, my wife and my 4 year old son. I have an "Administrator" user, but I gave my wife and my son "Limited" users, to make sure they don't screw up the system. The problem is that I have a couple of games I bought for my son that only run with Administrator users. I've tried installing these games from his user, but "Limited" users can't install software. Is there any way I can make "Limited" users run these games?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
It sounds like you have to change the limited account to Adm while you install the games, and hopefully they will play after you put the account back to limited.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
just give him full ntfs permissions on the game folder. if you used ntfs that is.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Thanks jiffy and jihiggs for your replies. Unfortunately, I tried both recommendations and neither solves the problem.
I remember there were "Power Users" in Windows 2000 which had more priviledges than regular users, but less than Administrator, which may solve my problem. However, I can't find Power Users on Windows XP Pro, I only have "Computer Administrators" and "Limited Users". Do I have to enable a particular service or something to enable Power Users?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
For the hack of it I made a new user account with limited assess, and then switch over to that user. I then went to play one of my games, the icon wasn’t there, but I got there threw the programs in the start task bar, and had no trouble playing it. Limited access doesn’t seem to be very limited, especially if you right click open, which seems to open programs that wouldn’t open by just clicking on it. I think you should be able to install the game on your account then, switch accounts and play the game, if not I haven’t a clue. There’s more option in computer management, don’t know if will help.. Control Panel/ Perf&Maint/Adm Tools

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.