Microsoft supports x86-64

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Many people wondered if Microsoft would support x86-64. Jerry Sanders confirms in this interview that NT64 will support Hammer processors. Very cool!
<A HREF="http://www.upside.com/texis/mvm/news/story?id=3c98da541" target="_new">The Last Man Standing</A>

FatBurger

Illustrious
The pertinent information, since you have to read a decent ways to find it:

Talk about your processor lines.

The desktop processor is the [AMD] Athlon XP [processor]. It’s what we are selling against the Pentium 4 on the desktop. We have the [mobile AMD] Athlon 4 [processor], which is the same core but has a dynamic-feedback capability that adjusts the speed at which it runs depending upon the performance required by the application. The higher the speed, the more power it burns, and therefore, the more battery drain. The [AMD] Athlon MP [processor] has a dual processor for servers and dual-processor workstations. We’ve got the little brother of the Athlon, the [AMD] Duron [processor], for mobile or for low-cost servers. At the end of next year, there will be a 64-bit processor called the “Hammer.” That’s the internal code name, [and it has] a remarkable capability in that it is based on a Microsoft-supported instruction set developed by AMD.

I thought Intel dominated the Microsoft relationship.

We call it x86-64 [architecture]; it supports all of the x86 instructions. We’ve added 64-bit capability and instructions that Windows NT64 from Microsoft will support. This is unprecedented in history—Microsoft supporting x86 instructions other than those developed by Intel. This means anybody can run existing 32-bit applications with higher performance and move to 64-bit [applications] seamlessly. This is in marked contrast to the Intel approach, which requires developers to go to a whole new instruction set and rewrite all their software. Or, if they want to run their 32-bit software, it will run on an [Intel] Itanium [processor], but at a degraded performance. When we start shipping in 2003, my life’s work will have come to fruition: an independent platform supported by Microsoft that will compete with the Intel monopoly.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
This is unprecedented in history—Microsoft supporting x86 instructions other than those developed by Intel
Alpha, 3DNow, 3DNow Professional... I suppose none of these actually exist? As far as a 64-bit platform that supports x86-64, I will believe it when I hear it from Microsoft. Jerry Sanders has a history of... misstating the facts.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Alpha, 3DNow, 3DNow Professional... I suppose none of these actually exist? As far as a 64-bit platform that supports x86-64, I will believe it when I hear it from Microsoft. Jerry Sanders has a history of... misstating the facts.
All companies stretch the truth but they don't lie. I see no reason why Sanders would lie like that, so therefore, it's true, more or less.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I thought Intel dominated the Microsoft relationship.

Actually a year back Intel was going to give $1 billion to to help devolop linux. Microsoft really disliked it alot.

I invented ctrl-alt-del but Bill [Gates] made it famous - Dave Bradly IBM PC designer

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
So it is true that Alpha, 3DNow, and 3DNow Professional do not exist? It is true that x86-64 will be the first instruction set supported by Microsoft that was not created by Intel? If not, then one lie begets another. Just extend this to Microsoft's support of x86-64. I will believe it when I see it.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Why are you taking Jerry's quote out of context ? We all know what he is implying, except for you that is.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I see a stretch of the truth not a lie. It's not worded perfectly but I think it's understandable what he says.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
For what it's worth I saw this link over in the anandtech forums, I'v'nt seen anybody in here post it yet.

<A HREF="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/vcerrFatalErrorC1905.asp" target="_new">http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/vcerrFatalErrorC1905.asp</A>

""
This error occurs when a .obj file is generated by a compiler front end (C1.dll) that targets one processor, such as x86, IA64, or AMD64, but is being read by a back end (C2.dll) that targets a different processor.
""

MStakem

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
well if it's true then amd might actually have a chance in the 64-bit world. WIthout support from microsoft they won't have desktop level support aside from the minority of linux users.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

eden

Champion
True, but Microsoft, seeing from our POV, are looking for ways to expand their $$$ ka-ching. And AMD going to 64-bit is nothing short but the best road. With AMD's faster reaction to transitioning, MS can develop an OS to sell even more for those who seek it, and OEMs. Thus AMD and MS are really going at it lately. See how Xbox 2 will use AMD CPUs???

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
The Xbox2 and AMD collaboration are only rumors. There is no specfic evidence as of yet.

I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

eden

Champion
Yes I also began to question it, since it was said Nvidia no longer will do Xbox 2, but rather another GFX company, but that too was rumor. Oh well, but I'll be damned if it does seem true! AMD would really benefit a lot from there, especially if they used a Hammer-like CPU for Xbox 2, SWEET!

--

FatBurger

Illustrious
Actually a year back Intel was going to give $1 billion to to help devolop linux. Microsoft really disliked it alot.

Feel free to email them and tell them their reviewer sucks then :tongue:

Mat, I believe the Inquirer gave that as evidence that x86-64 would be supported.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I reckon the main reason Microsoft chose Intel was that AMD was unable to produce enough chips due to thier limited manufacturing capabilities.

This is why Microsoft will never choose AMD, they simply wont be able to cope with demand.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The title should read "We’ve added 64-bit capability and instructions that Windows NT64 from Microsoft will support"

Im not sure how you interpreted that as "Microsoft supports x86-64"

Designing your architecture to support existing Microsoft 64bit instructions has nothing to do with Microsoft developing a x86-64 OS.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The title should read "We’ve added 64-bit capability and instructions that Windows NT64 from Microsoft will support"

Im not sure how you interpreted that as "Microsoft supports x86-64"

Designing your architecture to support existing Microsoft 64bit instructions has nothing to do with Microsoft developing a x86-64 OS.
Does that mean AMD is moving to IA64?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
My point exactly! :wink: How can AMD base an architecture on an OS that doesn't exist? What came first, the chicken or the egg?

eden

Champion
Only if it has been starting to grow from the inside already!
That would be when AMD has delivered a Hammer to MS, to fully evaluate, and see how the new x86-64 OS scales with Hammer's 64bit capabilities. Of course they could be in cahoots at some point! I'm still surprised AMD will have outrun Intel for the first time on this one!
Fugger can go lick his donkey's butt, he just doesn't want AMD to win the race to x86-64, as well as MS developping that for AMD first.

--

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
not only is there a lack of specific evidence, the people reporting it don't beleive it either...

<A HREF="http://www.theregus.com/content/3/24403.html" target="_new">Reg USA</A>
But the reasoning looks a little suspect; granted Nvidia and AMD are bosom buddies, and granted that Nvidia and Microsoft are new best friends, with plans to jointly dominate digital entertainment in the home till Kingdom come. But would Intel really jeopardise an important gig like X-Box for the sake of integrating graphics onto its CPUs? More to the point, does Microsoft really think Intel would jeopardise the gig?
:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
But the reasoning looks a little suspect; granted Nvidia and AMD are bosom buddies, and granted that Nvidia and Microsoft are new best friends, with plans to jointly dominate digital entertainment in the home till Kingdom come. But would Intel really jeopardise an important gig like X-Box for the sake of integrating graphics onto its CPUs? More to the point, does Microsoft really think Intel would jeopardise the gig?

The thing is, the xbox lowered intels asp for the last few quarters, they really dont need it. Consoles are cheap, 300-350 TOPS, the cpu in them HAS to be cheap to make the whole shebang cheap, if intel put a 2.2ghz p4 in every xbox2 and sold them for at most 100 bucks, they would lose so much money, so maybe intel dosent care about the xbox2 contract.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, I was. Would it be clearer to spell out your name completely?

Anyhow, I was just saying I think I remember that same thing in an Inquirer article a few weeks ago.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The thing is, the xbox lowered intels asp for the last few quarters, they really dont need it. Consoles are cheap, 300-350 TOPS, the cpu in them HAS to be cheap to make the whole shebang cheap, if intel put a 2.2ghz p4 in every xbox2 and sold them for at most 100 bucks, they would lose so much money, so maybe intel dosent care about the xbox2 contract.
1) Can you provide any evidence that the X-Box lowered Intel's ASP for the last few quarters?

2)Since Microsoft is the one producing the X-Box, the onus of profit loss should fall upon them, unless Intel were to sign a really bad contract. (Which their management has certainly shown itself to be stupid enough to do.) Chances are high though that what actually took place was that Microsoft is making a loss on the X-Box hardware (which is true of virtually every console ever sold), and Microsoft is making that money up in proprietary software titles, and in licensing for others to develop software for their console. This is how virtually every console since the dawn of time has worked, and why Sega couldn't compete. (They had problems convincing people to licence and weren't exactly the best at proprietary software development.)

This is also where the X-Box has a <i>very</i> strong competetive nature. Convincing people to licence to use the X-Box as a software platform is incredibly easy when the X-Box's native programming base is just a stripped-down version of Windows. This allows anyone to develop for both the X-Box and for Windows with very little effort, and also gives incentive for many other software vendors to put the little effort needed to port from one to the other. Who can beat launching software on two platforms instead of one for very little effort?

The X-Box licensing practically sells itself. So Microsoft should more than be able to take a loss on the X-Box hardware and still make a great deal of money from the X-Box. Hence Intel shouldn't have to sell the P3 chip to Microsoft at a loss just to make Microsoft happy.

3) In a way, you have a partially good point. If Microsoft wanted to put a P4 2.2aGHz into every X-Box2, they would quite possibly lose more money on the X-Box2 hardware than what it would be worth making up in licensing and proprietary hardware. I don't really know, but it is a possability. So chances are, Microsoft will be trying to use as inexpensive parts as possible. Seeing as how the Thoroughbreds and Bartons are likely to be quite inexpensive and offer good performance, chances are Microsoft would try to use these.

Here are the reasons why I believe that Microsoft will at the least strongly consider the Thoroughbred(or Barton) for the X-Box2 over anything from Intel:

I) Actual CPU power isn't very important to a console. What matters to a console is GPU performance and sound. If you have a superb GPU and a good sound chip, then you have little need for a powerful processor. So Microsoft will probably be looking at a 'budget' CPU to use in the X-Box2. I expect that AMD will be providing a better quality 'budget' CPU than Intel. (Though this could open up possabilities for VIA even over AMD.)

II) A console will be part of the living room environment. No one likes a loud cooling fan. A low-clock Thoroughbred or Barton will (hopefully) run quite cool, allowing Microsoft to put a less-efficient quiet-running cooler onto the CPU. (Again, this could be a place where VIA could have even more of an advantage over AMD.)

III) To extend point II), a console should be as compact as possible. A smaller heat sink would allow for development of a smaller case. So again, AMD wins out over Intel. (And again, VIA could win out over AMD.)

IV) nVIDIA and AMD play nice together. nVIDIA and Intel have had their arguments. So looking at nVIDIA for the next X-Box would involuntarily drag AMD along for the ride.

And here are my reasons for thinking that Microsoft will consider Intel over AMD:
I) Intel can produce more chips in an amount of time than AMD can. Since Microsoft will need millions of chips for their initial release date alone, this puts AMD into bad favor.

II) Intel designs CPUs that in and of themselves can run without a heat sink and still not need to shut down the entire system. AMD has yet to achive this. So Microsoft may desire a system that even when abused (as consoles often are tossed around and transported with little to no consideration when compared to how a PC is handled) will not completely die.

So ultimately, my current expectations are that Microsoft will consider VIA first, AMD second, and Intel last for the hardware in the X-Box2.

Ultimately, VIA can provide a cheap, cool-running, small form factor CPU and motherboard combo which can be expected to have future support long enough for a continued production of the platform. If I were Microsoft, I would be looking at VIA first. (As much as I personally dislike the company, I have to admit that they do make a strong case for use as a set-top-box/internet appliance/console.)

Add to that, that if I were Microsoft I would be considering ATI for my next console (because last I saw, they <i>do</i> play DVDs with less CPU usage than nVIDIA does), this could mean that the nVIDIA and AMD playing nice together isn't a strong point for Microsoft chosing AMD.

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>