p4 and win98

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
ok, i just got my p4 and installed win 98 on it. it doesn't even know how to recognize it as a p4 and just clasifies it as a pIII(my bios says it is p4). Does win98 recognize p4? will another os better utilize my new p4?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Make sure you have all the windows updates. If you don't you could have a version of 98 that was made before the P4 was even released. So how could it identify it if it never knew it would exist?

Also, there is a CPU id program out there. I forget the name, but I'm sure someone (hint hint) can provide a link to it.

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
at least upgrade to win 98 se... mine sees my p4 as an x86 family 15 model 2 step 4 in my computer (which has been renamed as Interossitor-4 by me :smile: as it is the 4th system I have built for my own use from scratch since my first pentium 66

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>