CPU benchmark l0phtcrack

bauernakke

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I read the last CPU article and they mentioned that not too many applications utilize the proc 100% I was wondering if the l0phtcrack utility cracking a "hard" password would be considered a good benchmark. L0phtcrack does support multiple procs. Maybe Tom could use that in the future.

FatBurger

Illustrious
He would lose a lot of respect from major companies by using a cracking tool as a benchmark.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I guess if you feel that cracking passwords is a noteworthy activity. I doubt if it would relate to any real world applications. You have to wonder how many people buy a killer processor to crack passwords.

All errors are undocumented features waiting to be discovered.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
for whatever it is worth I researched this "crack" and discovered it is commercial software designed for network admins and is not a true "crack" but rather a legitimate tool.. perhaps bauernakke has a point here

<A HREF="http://www.atstake.com/research/lc3/" target="_new"> Link here </A>

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I still think that some of the advertisers wouldn't like it. I might be wrong.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

bauernakke

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anyone concerned with MS network security knows this tool and it is not some obscure cracking software rather an invaluable admin tool for recovering passwords and checking password policies.

Lagger I like your sig :)

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I still think that some of the advertisers wouldn't like it. I might be wrong.
probably true .. it is is unfortunately named and does appear to be a warez oriented piece at first blush

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

Indeed. I never let my computer pass a day without getting it to calculate Pi.

Sorry, but this isn't a day to day task either.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

eden

Champion
Can somebody explain to me why is Pi often taken as something very rigorous to the CPU or what is the thing behind it?
I mean as a student, I know it's a math function for finding circumference, surfaces, volumes and such, but I don't know why the heck is there fuss on it for CPUs...

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
it requires massive calculation to continue to reach the full (unreachable) decimal and so it takes a lot of cpu power .. there are similar programs that strive to derive primes

lagger

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What I think Eden is trying to say is how the computer calculates the seemingly endless digits? What formula/algorithm does it use to continuously calculate the digits of Pi?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
division I reckon as it is a fraction

lagger

eden

Champion
Well not as much as to why would CPUs have a hard time making this calc.
What programs would use Pi for testing CPU anyway?
And how does the test end if there is none?

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Indeed. I never let my computer pass a day without getting it to calculate Pi.
Obviously, you don't have Pi@Home yet. Helping to calcuate it daily.

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
What programs would use Pi for testing CPU anyway?
And how does the test end if there is none?
Something called SuperPi is one program. You tell it to how many digits you want it to calculate pi, one million for example, and then it does it and gives you the time for how long it took. It's one way to compare the processing power of different CPUs.

<i>I made you look. But I can't make you see.</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tlaughrey on 03/22/02 01:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

tnadrev

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
Pi is a Transcendental number, meaning it cannot be expressed finitely. Also, there is no patterns, or repetitions, meaning with Pi you can never be 100% accurate. Transcendental numbers cannot be expressed as the root of any algebraic equation with rational coefficients. Pi CAN be expressed as an endless continued fraction or as the limit of an infinite series.

pi transcends the power of algebra to display it in its totality. Using a fixed-size font, it can't be written on a piece of paper as big as the universe.

Programs that calculate Pi ask, "to what decimal place" and fill your CPU until it finds out that it equals 3.141592654...

if you feel like doing a home experiment, take a glass (round one), and a bendable measuring tape, measure the diameter (across the glass at the widest) and the circumference (around the glass where you measured the diameter) divide the circumference by the diameter... you should be close to Pi, otherwise your measuring skills suck...

:wink: Engineering is the science of making life simple, by making it more complicated.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Still, How accurate of a circle does anybody need? I know it would be good for a benchmark if everybody woud see how long it would take to get to the 5,000'th integer, but still....

Crashing takes on a whole new meaning at 9.8 m/s. :tongue: