Sign in with
Your question

First Time builder, NEED HELP!!

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
March 21, 2002 6:52:07 PM

I know this is a hardware guide, but im in need for some major help. So im hoping someone here will be willing to give some suggestions

First off I bought an Evercase from newegg with a 300 watt power supply. I posted earlier about this since I didnt see that particular power supply listed on AMDs site as approved for 1800+ cpu's. I believe it only gives out a total of 170 watts total (not sure what that means as it is a 300 watt power supply). I then purchased an AMD 1800+ boxed cpu and a giga-byte 7vrxp KT333 Motherboard. With my trusty guide in hand, I began to put the computer together. I Connected all the wiring firmly and made it through my first boot. All fans were working (heatsink, videocard, side fan (80mm inculded with case which blows near cpu), front fan (bought at fry's, 80mm antec fan), and rear fan (80mm antec fan as well). Bios recongnized everything and all was good.

Installation of all parts and my first 3 boots were done while the computer was on its side and open (mistake here?). Now it was time to install the OS. Now this is where my troubles begin. I booted the computer while still on its side/open and I remembered that it would be hard to run the winxp cd sideways (airhead D: ), so while it was still on i gently picked it up and tried to turn it right side up. About 3/4 of the way to getting it up everything died in an instant. There were no weird noises or smells just silence. I figured the plug had pulled out somehow, but when i went to check everything was in check. I then made sure all plugs were in firmly (including the motherboard to the power supply). Everything was in order except the fact the computer will not start at all now . It just sits there dead as can be. I press the power button nothing happens at all. All plugs are in firmly and ive taken out all the cards (except the mobo) and tested them on my old pentium box and they all work.

Please post any suggestions!

Do you think the power supply burned out? While I was turning it did I short out the mobo? Where the 2 extra fans and overpowered cpu too much for the power supply and it shorted out my mobo and cpu?

If anyone can help please do. Thanks alot for reading this long post. And thank you for any help you can give.

Links.

www.giga-byte.com model #7vrxp
www.newegg.com Evercase 4252 with power supply (42$)

My system:
1800+Amd CPU (not overclocked)
Gigabyte 7vrxp Mobo 133 sys bus
40 gb maxtor HD
sony cdrw
3 80mm case fans
Heatsink and cpu provided by amd retail box
nvdia geforce II gts pro
Soundblaster live sc
sony floppy disk

-EDDIE

More about : time builder

March 21, 2002 7:05:30 PM

Check the 120/220v switch on the back of the CPU. I’ve seen them prevent systems from starting.

All errors are undocumented features waiting to be discovered.
March 21, 2002 7:15:48 PM

If you want to check the power supply, disconnect it from the motherboard and components, find a small wire and connect the green wire (PS-ON 14) to a black wire (COM 15 or 13). Some PSUs work with 15 some work with 13 usually both work. Do not attempt this if you have trouble distinguishing colors. Connecting the green to a yellow or a red may cause your PSU to fail and possibly cause a fire.

All errors are undocumented features waiting to be discovered.

Listed 12 instead of 13. Do not connect 14 to 12!!!!!!!!!!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Schmide on 03/21/02 01:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!