Printing on a P4 2.2 with RDRAM

bhdavis

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I'm posting this here in hopes some of you great techies might have an insight into this problem.

I have a P4 2.2 on an ASUS P4T-E board and 512m of ram and Windows XP Home. The problem occurs while printing from MS-Office 97 programs. In both Word and Excel printing appears to occupy all the computer resources so that all other activities have to wait for free cpu time. These are significantly long waits...not as long as if SPOOLING is turned off and I'm PRINTING DIRECTLY TO THE PRINTER, but very bad none the less. Turning BACKGROUND PRINTING on or off in Word or Excel has no significant effect one way or the other.

This problem occurs ONLY in the Office 97 programs (I only use Word and Excel). All other programs print and allow continued use of the computer simultaneously just fine.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
BH Davis

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Honestly, I'd upgrade from Office 97. Office 2000 and Office XP are much better, and don't have those problems (Likely because they were designed with Windows 2000 and Windows XP in mind, while 97 was designed before Windows 2000 was even halfway developed)

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...