sneakerski

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2001
If I want to change the FSB of a motherboard to 150MHz (from 133MHz, nForce 415-D Chipset, Abit mobo), it will make the CPU go faster also. If a CPU is locked, is it possible to change the multiplier to a LOWER value to increase stabilty?

I live on Mars. I know nothing. God help me when it comes to computers.

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
"Locked" means that you can't change the multiplier (even to lower it - in my experience).

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
THG has a video showing how to unlock the CPU multiplier for AMD Athlon XP. It is also possible to change the multiplier of an AMD Athlon Thunderbird. It is also easier.
But, believe me avoid to change the cpu multiplier. This will take you a lot of time and data you will lose before obtaining a stable system. CPU frequency limits arise approximately together with BUS frequency limits. So you may overclock both CPU and system without searching for the optimisation BUS/CPU frequency and without modify the CPU with complicated hardware elaborations.
Moreover if you change the bus frequency you may go out of specs for PCI bus, introducing instability also for the IDE controller. The bottleneck is the I/O device like the hard disk drive and "your finger" which will oblige the computer to wait for your job. Try to obtain a very stable system which will produce a lot of work instead of a rocket computer able to show you the highest benckmark numbers just before showing the "blu screen of death" or a locked mouse-pointer.