Sign in with
Your question

Dual P3 or Single AMD / dual celron

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2002 2:35:08 AM

Should I buy dual p3 800 or buy 1 AMD 1500 and wait and but another 1500 later?

What is the fastest celron processor you can use on a dual motherboard?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2002 2:40:04 AM

The fastest Celeron that would work in SMP is the 533 PPGA, and that one can't be overclocked much further. You'd get more performance almost universally with the AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (which runs at 1533MHz) than dual PIII 800's. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2002 3:27:18 AM

I was looking to get the most bang for the buck. The least expensive AMD MP is $150 per chip. I need dual processors at some point.
Related resources
March 22, 2002 3:55:19 AM

Well u can run XP's in a dual board.....almost for sure.....if not, there is a mod that can be done to the chip...very easy......or u can run Dual Duron's if u feel liek it, they'l work for sure (not gauranteed or endoresed/supported by AMD) and also the Athlon TBird should work fine also....again, not endorsed/supported officialy by AMD, but it worx......this a thread somewhere here, fairly recent about how to make ur XP and MP.....go check it out....it'll be worth your while...

Oh, and as far as getting a P3 in general....good lucky later on if u buy it.....u wont be able to upgrade......Socket 370 is a dead platform....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2002 6:11:51 AM

The XP and MP are the same core, most XP's at one point were SMP capable, those that aren't can be modified to MP values by changing certain bridges (although with the plastic pin grid it is a little difficult).

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2002 6:13:30 AM

Dual Tualatins w/512k would be nice!

March 22, 2002 1:52:33 PM

Why don't we keep this discussion to one thread only?

- JW

[edit]
And also, just out of curiosity, how many people here upgrade their cpu and not the motherboard?
[/edit]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JCLW on 03/22/02 10:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2002 3:57:24 PM

I was thinkning of getting either dual durons on an Asus A7m266d or one of the Tyan boards. Any comments? How much performance gain do you get with the XP chips?
March 22, 2002 8:06:19 PM

If you're not going to overclock Tyan makes a better board. XPs are much faster then Durons, a lot of that is because of the difference in L2 cache size.

- JW
March 22, 2002 8:22:21 PM

You still dream my dream.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>
March 22, 2002 8:26:16 PM

Quote:

Dual Tualatins w/512k would be nice!

Plus a good overclock, they'd be sweet! If only they were priced a bit lower...

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2002 8:51:48 PM

Yes, Intel can go to hell with those prices, I'd never pay them. Considering the performance it ought to be priced about the same as an MP 1500.

March 23, 2002 1:08:10 AM

We're all spoiled by low processor prices in general I think.

A PIII-S-1266 will run you ~US$200. Today I paid US$100 for a MAF sensor for my car (a 4" long piece of 65mm aluminium tube with a thermal diode in it) and US$175 for groceries. My cell phone bill this month will run me another US$100. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that CPUs are cheap. If I use it for four years a PIII-S-1266 would cost me about US$1 a week. Considering what goes into one, I'm amazed they can sell them for what they do and still make money.

An MP-1500 is ~US$150. That's only a $50 difference and while i realize that many of the people who frequent these forums are younger and/or students without much cash, $50 is really not that much money. If I'm spending $2000 on a computer $50 (or even $100) isn't going to sway my decision one way or another.

Anyways, I'm kind of rambling here so I'll stop now,
- JW
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2002 1:42:53 AM

Actaully it's worse than that! A LOT WORSE! The Pentium III 1.4GHz 512k chip cost over $335! THAT's the only Intel processor that can compete with the XP1500 in SMP performance. That's a difference of $185, over 100% more! Now, $185 is about twice what I paid for my favorite car. All of my own computers total cost exceeds the price of ANY of my cars! And my wife and I only spend around $60 a week for food! So let's put it in the aspect of food prices: The MP cost about two weeks worth of food. That's a lot! The PIII 1400 cost about 5 weeks worth of food. That's pathetic!
I drive a Crown Vic with 53K miles. I traded it for a car that I bought 4 years ago at $500. So actual cash value of the trade was about $100. It cost me about $235 in parts to fix the car. So now I have a nearly perfect 53K mile car for about the cost of ONE CPU!
OK, so let's put that in terms of housing. My apartment cost $485/mo, INCLUDING ALL utilities (cable, internet access, electricity, heat, water). So ONE CPU cost about 3 weeks rent!
Having said that, would I pay over twice as much for an Intel CPU than an AMD cpu that has slightly better performance? I think NOT!

March 23, 2002 2:10:57 AM

I didn't mean to start an AMD/intel price war here. I agree the PIII-1400 chips are overpriced. I was just expressing my opinion that chips in general are cheap.

Personally I would take two PIII-1266 chips over two MP-1500 chips. But that's just me. It will be at least another year before my two PIII-800Es run out of steam and by then it'll be a whole different ball game I'm sure.

I work and live on boats so I can't compare processor prices to housing expenses. Those groceries will last 12 people two days (I hope). Our fuel bills make processors look cheap - we burn over 2 tons a day (2000l/530gal) when we're underway. At CDN$0.40/litre that's CDN$800 a day, or ~CDN$24,000 a month. Prices all depend on your perspective I guess.

I too drive a Crown Vic - a '93 with 170,000km. Hope your airflow sensor doesn't go.

- JW
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2002 2:22:16 AM

If I were a wealthy man, I MIGHT consider a dual PIII 1.4 system.

March 23, 2002 2:58:23 AM

[tweaks nipples]mmm, pIII-S 1.4 chip[/tweaks nipples]
those things are sure damn sexy! i ALMOST gave into them last week. but the only board i'd consider running them on was supermicro's p3tdde, but there is a memory bandwidth problem that supermicro has yet to fix/acknowlegde.

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol: 
March 23, 2002 3:18:47 PM

Quote:
[edit]
And also, just out of curiosity, how many people here upgrade their cpu and not the motherboard?
[/edit]

I do. If you buy a nice mobo from the start it can last several CPU upgrades. I've got 3 mobos looking to get new CPUs in the near future. One P3 450 to be replaced with a P3 800, my dads Duron 800 to be replaced with a 1.2 GHz Duron, and my mobo to recieve a Tbred when they get released.

If my response is brief and vague its because the info you provided is too!
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2002 4:20:24 PM

I would have to go with the Shuttle HOT-649a, the only dual chip BX motherboard that supports front side bus speeds up to 150MHz! And two iP3/t adapters.

March 23, 2002 5:12:45 PM

yes serverworks chipsets are nice. i was looking at the board too, but i wanted something i could plug all my other hardware into and go with it (other than cpu/ram). if i had scsi or needed scsi i would've looked into that board more. but in the end yes price was a consideration, so i took a chance and went with 2 xp1800's and a tigerMP w/1.2gb of kingston ddr. other than a couple components (sound card, NIC) causing problems and have replaced, this thing is quick and rock solid.

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol: 
!