Sign in with
Your question

INTEL RELEASES THE FIRST 0.09-MICRON CHIP!!!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Chip
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
March 22, 2002 5:12:57 PM

<b><A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1016580969" target="_new">x-bit labs:</A></b>
Quote:
Intel has announced the first working SRAM (static memory) chips made with new 0.09 technology (not Pentium 4 with Prescott
core yet, it will be demonstrated later). This remarkable event took place at Fab D1C factory in Hillsborough (Oregon).

The chips have a 52 Mbit volume, consist of 330 million (!) transistors with a square of only 109 mm2, and are made of 12-inch
plates on lithographic equipment with the wavelength of 248 nm (old equipment) and 193 nm (new equipment). I will remind,
that the serial production of the chips (including Pentium 4 CPUs) with 0.09-micron technology use is scheduled by Intel for year

way to go Intel!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

More about : intel releases micron chip

March 22, 2002 5:26:03 PM

Welcome to last week :wink:

BTW, of course this happened in Oregon :cool:

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
March 22, 2002 5:39:58 PM

A Melty-esk Ode to Oregon: (Take it for what it is worth.)
Home, home of deranged.
Where fears of Intel will play.
And seldom is heard, an encouraging word,
if you are AMD.

Seriously though, this was a big yawn to me since Intel has had a considerable head start on the die shrink game lately (thus it came as no surprise) and has been playing an ultra-conservative game lately (thus we can expect Intel to wait forever before releasing CPUs with the die shrink anyway).

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>
Related resources
March 22, 2002 6:06:09 PM

I disagree, I don't think Intel will wait to release their .09u process technology. One of the reason will be the Hammer which will be a real threat to P4 and according to their plan .09u core of P4 will have HT enabled by default. Which will give a really good preformance compareable to Hammer.

Also this was just a SRAM Cell it will take atleast a year or so to prefect this process and then some more time to get a decent yield out of this process technology.

KG

<b>"Hey! It compiles! Ship it!"</b>
March 22, 2002 6:10:54 PM

Yeah Meltdown, this info was disclosed a week ago ! I'm suprised you missed it...even AMD fans knew about this !

P.S Intel only have .09 micron cache working NOT a fully fledged CPU.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>
March 22, 2002 6:13:46 PM

Err ... umm ... not that I feel like debating, but do you want to change your stance any? You say both, "<font color=blue>I don't think Intel will wait to release their .09u process technology. One of the reason will be the Hammer which will be a real threat to P4 and according to their plan </font color=blue>", and then say, "<font color=blue>Also this was just a SRAM Cell it will take atleast a year or so to prefect this process and then some more time to get a decent yield out of this process technology.</font color=blue>"

So which are you saying that it will be? Will Intel release Prescott earlier than scheduled because of the Hammer threat? Or will Intel release Prescott as scheduled (or even later than scheduled) because it will take them a year (from now) to perfect the .09micron etching process?

<pre>Join PETT.(People for Equal Treatment of Trolls)
Trolls:Keeping bridges clean 'n safe.</pre><p>
March 22, 2002 6:31:40 PM

Running .09 micron cache is no big deal, far far far from an actual logic.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
March 22, 2002 6:32:18 PM

so, apple has been working on .09u for a year now.

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol: 
March 22, 2002 6:47:18 PM

Hes saying that Intel will want to release it ASAP but will not be able to do so before schedule because they need time to perfect the process and blabla..

Any mystery devised by mortal mind can be solved therewith - Holmes
March 22, 2002 8:10:34 PM

<b>
(thus we can expect Intel to wait forever before releasing CPUs with the die shrink anyway).</b>

I was just trying to reply to your earlier post where you said Intel will wait forever before releasing .09u.

What I meant was that It will take intel some time to fine tune .09u but as soon as they are done with it they will release it. They will not wait since Hammer is a danger to P4.

KG

<b>"Hey! It compiles! Ship it!"</b>
March 22, 2002 8:34:07 PM

Intel Pentium 5 (Prescott) IA32 CPU is the 0.09micron successor to the Northwood core of the Pentium 4 due in H2 2003 at around 4Ghz. Prescott will introduce Intel's HyperThreading technology to the desktop (first introduced in Prestonia) and will also feature a number of architectural improvements, including an updated instruction set. Prescott is expected to feature an 800Mhz (200Mhz Quad Pumped) Front Side Bus.

"Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers."
March 23, 2002 12:40:39 AM

That is indeed threatning. The most needed is the FPU and increased L1 cache.
It will be powerful, but it depends on AMD's stance for PR relation. They should carry the relation to AXPs, so then PR3400 is powerful.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
March 23, 2002 6:41:35 AM

Hes a stupid moron. Nuff said. If meltdick could find some good Intel news it might worth reading.
March 23, 2002 10:09:09 AM

who is a stupid moron?
and who is meltdick?

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal
March 23, 2002 10:13:45 AM

Amdmeltdown. He trys to bash Amd.
March 23, 2002 11:55:33 AM

Is it logical to say one guy trys to "bash" AMD? Especially when that one guy is surrounded and attacked by many pro-AMD guys?

March 23, 2002 1:51:43 PM

Have you taken a look at his posts before you said that? (Browse CPU's section and you'll see)

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
March 23, 2002 3:55:55 PM

Please Kennyshin, you're obviously the only guy here who is even remotly trying to defend Meltdoofus' opinion, except other trolls. So I advise you not to take his side or defend him.

--
March 23, 2002 7:57:03 PM

See kennyshin, evryone bashes amdmeltdumbass, which is why I called him dickless when he flamed amd for no reason.

March 23, 2002 8:52:55 PM

Many people like both AMD and Intel CPUs. Each processor has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Most people, whether they prefer Intel's or AMD's processors are civil in their discussions. They debate the issues. They disagree, sometimes heatedly. But they are civil and generally respect each other for their views.

A few, however, have no respect for others who have different opinions than them so they get no respect in return.

To gain respect you must also give respect.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
March 23, 2002 9:02:11 PM

Quote:
Many people like both AMD and Intel CPUs. Each processor has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Most people, whether they prefer Intel's or AMD's processors are civil in their discussions. They debate the issues. They disagree, sometimes heatedly. But they are civil and generally respect each other for their views.

Which is exactly why meltdown gets no respect, he personally insults anyone who purchases amd, and he personally insults people who debate pro amd positions.

March 23, 2002 9:08:47 PM

He probably enjoys us telling him to shut up even more. Can you imagine how powerful he must feel? Just by saying something stupid, he gets at least 10 replies telling him to shut up. What about ignoring that kind of posts? Has got two pro's: He doesn't get the attention he wants, and posts at THGC are purified from the garbage that (not only AmdMELTDOWN's) those nagging posts produce.

Although I am doing exactly that this very moment ...

Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>
March 23, 2002 9:34:23 PM

Bikeman, I agree with you except for one thing.

A stranger to the forum comes here for computer advice, they have no clue amdmeltdown is a moron/troll/jackass, so they take his advice(lol) at face value, UNLESS they see 10 people telling him hes full of [-peep-].

Which is why I ignore his posts unless they make false claims which should be countered.

March 23, 2002 9:42:23 PM

We really should start a movement, which will reunite all THGers to completly ignore Meltdown. It is THE ONLY way to have him stop, otherwise, Fredi should ban him. Sadly that can't happen, cuz some like to claim "he hasn't doen anything wrong"... seriously if I was the mod I'd get him out of here the first minute he trolls, and would make sure his IP does too. I mean his jokes are no longer funny, his threads are no longer funny, somebody get the clown out, the fat troll has sung!

--
March 23, 2002 9:58:09 PM

Are you sure? I purchased more than 10 AMD processors and I spent more than 1000 dollars for those. Does AMDMeltDown call me a dickless thing who makes birthcontrol necessary? I remember it was you Lord Matisaro who personally insulted people who criticized AMD policies and AMD processors. You even tried hard to discredit me on the basis of the total number of postings.

And do not exaggerate. AMDMeltDown does get respect because he also is a human being just like everyone else and he's more right than you even in technological matters in my opinion.

March 23, 2002 10:04:28 PM

To you it may not sound reasonable but some people feel there are reasons to criticize AMD and its products.

AMDMeltDown says what he thinks is wrong or poor about AMD company and its products and services and that's just a natural and necessary thing for any consumer to do. Even if EVERYTHING he says is completely anti-AMD, you just have no right to say he should be called dickless and dumbass. Why not just admit your fault and apologize?

March 23, 2002 10:14:09 PM

Do that Fredi and THG Community will become even more biased than it has ever been.

Where I run things, those dirty postings would have been deleted instantly. Well, it's really sickening to see.

March 23, 2002 10:23:52 PM

I don't know if he's a "pro" here but I am not. I do feel some people posting here are related to AMD though it may not be the same way THG is related to AMD.

AMDMeltDown pointed out that correctly. Some of you guys do act like a scared pack. Not to lose the power to call and dismiss anyone who criticizes AMD Athlons is dickless and dumbass. I understand you so well... I've been dealing with you guys for years, not days, if you didn't know that. Maybe more actively than AMDMeltDown.

I didn't here exactly to criticize AMD and AMD fanatics. But I didn't expect some people would attack me on a consumer issue from a distant and unknown country market. You chose to attack me to force me to shut up. It's natural for me to conclude THGC will become a place to discuss things and issues if it's free of fanatics and terrorists.

March 23, 2002 10:30:45 PM

Dear Lord Mati. I have seen thousands of people who say against AMD fanatics actually.

You are a minority if you leave this small community you happened to be able to terrorize and nearly monopolize. Sorry, I didn't mean a person of you, but in general... No offense.

The only thing you've ever "countered" is the true and honest words from a few Koreans. Maybe you know why the threads received so many views. Lots of Koreans - I mean tens of thousands - are reading all these and they are being copied to very many sites. What do you think they feel about you?

March 23, 2002 10:42:17 PM

Basically, I am a defender of human rights. Billions of population on this planet will agree and support AMDMeltDown if you read all of these postings. I mean what he said about the few guys of you and some AMD products and services. If you think I am exaggerating, take this issue to China and ask people what they say about everything I've said about AMD Korea's betrayal of its own warranty policy and promises for its products that have already been sold at extremely high price.

You are wrong if you thought I had just chosen to defend a minority or feel sympathy. I do not agree with you regarding AMD products and I do not approve your behavior you've shown for the last 12 months or more here. I don't remember if AMDMeltDown or Intel_Inside said in a fundamentally wrong and immoral way. AMD fanatics are mostly wrong and they usually choose the wrong targets just like the real fanatics and terrorists do everytime. They don't think and they do not act according to logic. God will praise me and give me better food if I bomb and burn more non-believers... Sorry if you feel it's directed to you but I can see the same sorts of people in Seoul too and some have been my own close friends and I always tried to persuade them and think again and more.

March 23, 2002 10:48:48 PM

Sure. And take a careful look at MY posts before you say more. I've said many times I've been here reading all these debates and fights for years, not weeks. Maybe you don't know exactly how popular Tom's Hardware Guide is worldwide. THG is one of the most popular and well-known sources of computer hardware-related information even in Korea. Many more than you think read these. They are just disgusted to see all these dirty things saying dickless and dumbass to people and that's why there are many more ROMs than posters.

So, what do you think good or bad concerning Tom's Hardware Guide Community forum means depending on your point of view?

March 23, 2002 10:55:15 PM

There's nothing wrong with AMDMeltdown's opinions, it's just the way he conveys them is irritating to some people here, even for Intel fans.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 23, 2002 11:05:19 PM

Hey Kenny,

Well, first thing; yes, this forum is Pro-AMD. That goes without argument. You also make some good points; calling someone names and so-forth doesn't solve anything, and drags the name-caller down, as well as the forum they represent.

About AMDMeltdown: You say he is entitled to his opinion, and that may be true. But a forum is supposed to be a civilised, well-spoken place where people discuss things maturely and reasonably; read any post of AMDMeltdown's, and you have to notice that his posts are condescending, rude, purile, and 99% of the time based on baseless facts and merry-go-round arguments.

One thing that depresses me is that people here on the forum don't ignore him. They reply, (and subsequently drag themselves down by resorting to insults themselves) and it just encourages him to continue posting more baseless and useless posts. If people didn't post, he (after a while) would either quit, or maybe decide to mature and post in a respectable fashion.

A word of advice; don't stand up to AMDMeltdown's defence. That is one association that won't stand in your favour on this forum. You say you speak for human rights. Do people have the right to make a mockery of a forum, abuse their posting priveledge, and turn a discussion place into a mud-throwing fight? I don't believe so. There are rules to be followed, and he is bending them to breaking point.

That's it for me.

A word of advice to everyone else. Just ignore AMDMeltdown. If you don't, you are as bad as him, because you will just encourage him to continue posting useless messages.

That's all.

-

I plugged my ram into my motherboard, but unplugged it when I smelled cooked mutton.
March 23, 2002 11:10:27 PM

Quote:
Are you sure? I purchased more than 10 AMD processors and I spent more than 1000 dollars for those. Does AMDMeltDown call me a dickless thing who makes birthcontrol necessary? I remember it was you Lord Matisaro who personally insulted people who criticized AMD policies and AMD processors. You even tried hard to discredit me on the basis of the total number of postings.

I called amdmeltdown that, not "people" you are the only one who sees a problem in what I said to meltdown for his troll flame, drop it. You obviously dont understand the magnitude of the disrespect for that clown on this forum, and he may be a fellow human, but hes a moron retard none the less.

March 23, 2002 11:11:20 PM

Quote:
To you it may not sound reasonable but some people feel there are reasons to criticize AMD and its products.

AMDMeltDown says what he thinks is wrong or poor about AMD company and its products and services and that's just a natural and necessary thing for any consumer to do. Even if EVERYTHING he says is completely anti-AMD, you just have no right to say he should be called dickless and dumbass. Why not just admit your fault and apologize?

Run along listed troll, no ones apologizing to meltdown for calling him a dumbass, he is a bane on this forum.

March 23, 2002 11:12:35 PM

Quote:
Dear Lord Mati. I have seen thousands of people who say against AMD fanatics actually.

You are a minority if you leave this small community you happened to be able to terrorize and nearly monopolize. Sorry, I didn't mean a person of you, but in general... No offense.

The only thing you've ever "countered" is the true and honest words from a few Koreans. Maybe you know why the threads received so many views. Lots of Koreans - I mean tens of thousands - are reading all these and they are being copied to very many sites. What do you think they feel about you?

1) dont call me lord mati you ignorant troll.
2) you have yet to prove wrongdoing on amds part, so run along untill you can.

March 23, 2002 11:41:18 PM

I am sorry and I regret to inform you, but Meltdown disrespects us and targets insults at us. Even though Mat does reply with insults at him, I can see his rage for putting up with a "dickless" moron like Melty and I would side with him all the way.

Secondly, I also regret to inform you, that this is not a pro-AMD forum, it's an ENTHUSIAST channel. We follow what the most current trend gives us. We do not take side except a few. I am sorry if you beleive we are pro-AMD, but if there are some, they should get out of here right now. Sorry but Matisaro IS NOT pro-AMD all the way. He is not a zealot. In fact he often had given us occasional Intel positives, but if he does defend AMD recently, it's cuz he takes a logical POV, which is real. AMD CPUs currently, XP2100, are top of the line in performance and price. So if someone was to get a 2.2GHZ or a XP 2100, I think it'd best for that person to take the advice to get the XP2100, which Matisaro would do. He also recommended sometimes the 1.6A ONLY if a person is willing to OC. As for others, they also continue to favor AMD because so far, AMD has given us more than Intel, especially recently. This probably had begun when the P4 first was out. Disappointing, and humiliating by Intel, in both price and performance. That gave us a big hit, and any Athlon TB was a better choice. Since that, we'd been backed by AMD's continuous improvement in the performance department. Their Palomino carried that good trend even further. Now Hammer will come, and it'll simply widen the gap. Intel on the other hand, took over a year to make a small enhancement to the P4, and still so far, it's either expensive or underperforming at stock. An XP2100 vs 2.2GHZ are almost neck and neck, and even if the latter wins, it'd be by 2-5% tops, and it still costs over 200$ more. If you really have been around for over 3 years and you still think otherwise in both Melty's case and our case, then I feel bad for you, I really do...

BTW, if Matisaro chose Lord Matisaro, it does not change who he is at all, my personal thought was since he is a big RPG fan, he probably put that name before his nick, but that does not make him a show-off superior being. So please stop using that. Same applies for AMD_Man, maybe he has that name but back then we all hyped AMD except trolls, so he probably took the name, but that does not mean he wouldn't take Intel's side, so that proves yet again, we are not pro-AMD, we ARE ENTHUSIASTS...

And that's the end of THAT chapter.

--
March 24, 2002 1:55:49 AM

hold on a sec. lemme get my chips and soda, screw tv :D 

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol: 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2002 2:39:27 AM

haha! i cant tell who's lying but i got a clue, hehehe! pass me the cheese doodles,

---------------------------
Epox 8kha+ w/AXP1.53
Dual Abit VP6 w/2 1GHz P3's
March 24, 2002 2:40:19 AM

Hay I disagree with you. I agree with Matisaro and the others about Meltdown go ahead and worship his Uglyness.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2002 2:43:57 AM

i just wonder how far can they go, in 20 years will we see cores that work at the atomic level? that's interesting.

---------------------------
Epox 8kha+ w/AXP1.53 (rip)
Dual Abit VP6 w/2 1GHz P3's
March 24, 2002 2:51:46 AM

Could you do us all a favor and stop over-exaggerating. You claim these absurd numbers that just make no sense. You claim that you post hundreds of posts a day, and by anyone's calculations that means that you spend over 10 hours a day posting non stop in that case. You claim that billions of people would agree with Amdmeltdown. You claim that 10's of thousands are reading Matisaro's posts. You claim to have talked to thousands of people who are against AMD fanatics. You claim to have done so many things and yet it is very hard to believe you.

The only thing I'm very sure of is that you are very naive and you have tunnel vision. Don't go around calling people terrorists and nazis and claiming to be some kind of human rights activist. The way you approached this forum was from the standpoint of someone who has to be right and is never wrong. Every time someone disagrees with you, you use racism and any other excuse to downplay their opinion. That's wrong. We have genuinely and honestly given you our opinions and if it disagrees with you then we are dismissed as the enemy. You are no angel in disguise. You are rude and you really need to stop talking to people like you're this saint with a million years of experience who will go to heaven for exposing the people who you disagree with. You're not more American than the Americans in this forum, you're not an expert because you've bought 10 processors for $1000, you have no right to speak on behalf of billions of people, you have no right to speak on behalf of the Koreans as a whole, let alone the Chinese or anybody else, and you don't have the right to tell others who and who they can't disagree with.

Everyone here has a voice including you. We listen to you but you don't listen to us. If you are unable to listen to people and respect their opinions and maybe learn something from it, then you really shouldn't be here. There were several other Koreans who relayed their opinions and they did it in an orderly fashion, and they confirmed many things that you refuse to accept.

All you needed to do was post your opinion, let us post ours, let other Koreans post theirs, and then start a healthy discussion. Instead you started attacking people, defending AMDmeltdown, and going off on many rude tangents. I changed my signature since it made you cry. That's sad, but I didn't want it to confuse anybody else.

At this point, go buy your Cyrix chip or your Intel chip and stop with the Crusade. You informed us of what was happening, we told you what we thought, and that really is that. We can't do anything about it.

Now you've moved into this thread, and started defending Amdmeltdown. Do you know him? Do you realize that he is the forum jester? He enjoys a good laugh, and he sure can take care of himself. Half the time he's funny, half the time he's annoying, but he's established himself just the way he likes it. He has a good sense of humor and can take everything thrown at him with stride. Unless he wants to tell me otherwise, I don't think he needs you babysitting him. Quite honestly he doesn't need me babysitting him right now, but I wanted to make a point.

Get off your high horse. You're not a knight in shining armor. Your entry into this thread has caused nothing but trouble. Your spamming of the board has caused nothing but trouble. You're post in the Opinions and Experiences section was all that was needed. You went way too far. What day are we on with you now? 4?

<font color=red>First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.</font color=red><font color=blue>
March 24, 2002 2:56:19 AM

Quote:
BTW, if Matisaro chose Lord Matisaro, it does not change who he is at all, my personal thought was since he is a big RPG fan, he probably put that name before his nick,

100% accurate. Good catch.

March 24, 2002 4:17:27 AM

worship is not right here.
have respect for others.

March 24, 2002 5:03:57 AM

OK.

Then why did you help me do that sooooooooooooooooooooo eagerly and aggressively?

Believe me or not. :) 

March 24, 2002 5:19:45 AM

Quote:
OK.

Then why did you help me do that sooooooooooooooooooooo eagerly and aggressively?

Believe me or not. :) 

<b>Would you care to re-evaluate that? Here are the first two messages that I wrote to you. Unlike you, I don't forget what I wrote that quickly.</b>

Quote:
AMD's change of regulation
-----------------------------------
It's relatively safe to say that most people here won't be satisfied with this until you can post a link to something official. In the USA there are tons of forums that specialize in spam and gossip. We cannot tell if these forums you posted fall into that category. The vendor you posted also is completely unknown to all of us. Giving you the benefit of the doubt is one thing, but maybe you guys have something similar to reseller ratings which we could use to judge a vendor. Have you posted something from a news agency or something from a stock broker? Those would be far more convincing. Just as an example, during the WTC attacks there was a big stink about Starbucks charging rescue workers for water. This was posted on sites such as morningstar as well as a rebutal. I would expect the same thing in this case.

<b>Next message</b>

I happen to believe what you are saying now that it's been verified by several different sources. There shouldn't be any argument about any of this, only a discussion.

However, I believe you might be bunching up several issues.

1) It appears that all OEM processor warranties are being rejected in Korea. Why? I'll leave that for you to find out since I believe you said there are no OEM processors sold in Korea.
2) All retail warranty claims go through AMD directly, not the distributor. I checked up on AMD's warranty and they give you a phone number to call if you are an asian customer.

These are two separate issues. Do you have any information regarding the retail package and a rejection of warranty claims directly from AMD? What appears to be happening is that vendors are denying the claims when customers come to them, which is exactly what should be happening.

You need to tell your friends to contact AMD directly, as per their warranty, for any service. If they are being rejected directly from AMD, then what you are seeing is AMD pulling out of that market for some reason. Maybe the profit margin isn't good, or maybe there are political reasons. Either way it really is not good for you guys since you should expect a huge price increase in Intel processors.

You started this whole discussion based on AMD rejecting burnt and broken CPU's, which is user error, so maybe AMD is just not willing to waste the time and money in your market when all the vendors keep shipping them CPU's that are the customer's responsability. Have vendors previously been replacing burnt and broken CPU's? AMD might have been tolerant before, but obviously they aren't anymore.

What I don't understand however, is if this is true, it should have shown up on morning star or at least AMD's website.

Keep us posted. It sounds interesting.

<font color=red>First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.</font color=red><font color=blue>
March 24, 2002 8:18:48 AM

I dont worship people Unlike you. I can see you now saying Amdmeltdown holyness.

Leave the people here alone.
March 25, 2002 3:52:22 AM

"I am sorry and I regret to inform you, but Meltdown disrespects us and targets insults at us. Even though Mat does reply with insults at him, I can see his rage for putting up with a "dickless" moron like Melty and I would side with him all the way"

gee, I didn't know mongrels had feeling! :wink:

March 25, 2002 4:00:41 AM

hey man, don't even waste your time with these cretins, they spent all last year bitching on how "Intel this and that" and now they're getting a taste of there own medicine.

!