Sign in with
Your question

AMD Korea Warranty Issue Getting Bigger 'n Serious

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 23, 2002 1:52:18 AM

http://club.kbench.com/community/?function=list&board=3...

More than 1,000 postings in a single board. 346 threads have been posted so far in just one board. Many people are contacting Korea Consumer Protection Board (http://www.cpb.or.kr/)

Another big influential hardware site Brainbox posted a column discussing the AMD Korea warranty issue in length: http://www.brainbox.co.kr/hwbox/index_view.asp?no=4925&...

By the same writer in November 2001: http://www.brainbox.co.kr/hwbox/index_view.asp?no=2734&...

In July 2001 on consumer rights and computer products: http://www.brainbox.co.kr/hwbox/index_view.asp?no=1606&...

Many more popular PC magazines and biggest news sites are investigating the issue seriously.

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal
March 23, 2002 1:59:36 AM

hey if u buy second rate stuff expect second rate service and support.
March 23, 2002 2:11:40 AM

This has been going on for a while. Either AMD Korea is run differently then the main office or there is a reason things are happening there and nowhere else. Id like to hear some sort of official word on this just our of curiouslty, but its getting a little old at this point. Have you or anyone else here seen ANYTHING OFFICIAL from AMD??

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
March 23, 2002 2:43:12 AM

It's certain AMD Korea changed their warrenty policy. But They do NOT say it 'Officially'.
They dismiss the right of consumer in Korea. And they are also hypocrites.
March 23, 2002 2:48:25 AM

The warranty has not changed, you just think its ok to exchange processors you fry and crack, well its not, and never has been.

If amd has said nothing officially, its not an official change of policy, untill kennyshin proves its amd and not the resellers there is no discussion.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
March 23, 2002 2:49:02 AM

Sorry maybe you're bored. NO company in Korea does businss in that manner.

The process is slow. People talk and talk but they can hear nothing from higher up.

You can easily find something what AMD CEO or HP CEO says in magazines or news channels. It's not the same in Korea or in Japan.

Also, that's exactly what I want to change.

Well, another example: you can buy memory from Micron directly. (Crucial is a Micron company.) you can also buy computers from Dell or Gateway. It has been so for decades. The market in Korea is completely different. I went to Yongsan hundreds of times. I visited literally more than 1,000 shops in Yongsan and other markets. I still do not understand exactly who is responsible for what. Hm... that's why I never started my own business in this country because I do not like the way it is here.

I read some American or European people discribing their experiences in Yongsan. (Yongsan virtually controls the retail computer-related market of Korea.) One guy said it's "distressing." Everybody feels the same here.

March 23, 2002 2:54:10 AM

What are you to say there is no discussion about this AMD Korea warranty change issue when there are thousands of postings in KBench which is the largest computer-related site in Korean and in Tom's Hardware Guide which is the largest computer-related site in English?

The warranty written on the AMD Athlon XP box has not changed. What AMD guys say in the emails, on the phone, and face-to-face have changed completely in ways to make the consumers and retailers feel betrayed and angry.

And what I have told you about AMD are just the same repeated by thousands of people in Korea and there are more and more.

Would you like to read what so many Korean users and those who have criticized about AMD and AMD processors said around the world?

March 23, 2002 2:57:20 AM

Quote:
What are you to say there is no discussion about this AMD Korea warranty change issue when there are thousands of postings in KBench which is the largest computer-related site in Korean and in Tom's Hardware Guide which is the largest computer-related site in English?

What I am saying is that there is NO CHANGE from amd proper, and the change is the RESELLERS, and theres no discussion about why amd is evil when they did nothing.

Quote:
The warranty written on the AMD Athlon XP box has not changed. What AMD guys say in the emails, on the phone, and face-to-face have changed completely in ways to make the consumers and retailers feel betrayed and angry.

Prove it, all the links you have shown say that the people are contacting the RESELLERS not AMD about their warranties, this says NOTHING about amd, only that the RESELLERS are no longer accepting returns on warranties THEY promised.

Quote:
And what I have told you about AMD are just the same repeated by thousands of people in Korea and there are more and more.

Would you like to read what so many Korean users and those who have criticized about AMD and AMD processors said around the world?

I have no doubt that the koreans are angry, but amd is NOT responsible, amd has NEVER claimed it will accept overclocked cpus for warranty, the resellers may have been making that claim, but amds warranty is specific, and it has NOT changed.

March 23, 2002 3:03:41 AM

* You seem to be a defender of AMD Company. Think in consumer's position!

It's a truth that the core of AMD CPU could be broken without user's fault. Of course It's not happened frequently but sometimes could be happened. And I heard that Intel change the core-broken CPUs in their warrenty policy. So, These days many Koreans recommend Intel Celeron Tualatin 1.0a Ghz and Northwood 1.6 Ghz rather than Duron and Athlon.

Maybe you do not understand the situation in Korea exactly.

Amd company members should think that It's serious more than they think.

- from ipc002

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hyunjun on 03/23/02 00:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 23, 2002 3:06:59 AM

Mat,
Why even bother. Kenny isn't interested. Kenny is just interested in whining, and complaining. Some people you just can't discuss things with...or they just don't know when to leave well enough alone.

Yeah, I'm sure there are some angry people. AMD has decided to make people abide by their stated warranty. People aren't used to it and are angry. The resellers are angry that AMD is no longer playing by THEIR game/rules so they blame AMD for making them adhere to AMD's own world wide stated warranty.

Yeah it was probably sudden and shocking.

Fine.
Kenny expressed himself OVer and Over and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again.

Enough VENTING already.

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
March 23, 2002 3:10:51 AM

Quote:
* You seem to be a defender of AMD Company. Think in consumer's position!

I am debating a logical position.

Quote:
It's a truth that the core of AMD CPU could be broken without user's fault. Of course It's not happened frequently but sometimes could be happened. And I heard that Intel change the core-broken CPUs in their warrenty policy. So, These days many Koreans recommend Intel Celeron Tualatin 1.0a Ghz and Northwood 1.6 Ghz rather than Duron and Athlon

A: Intels warranty has NOTHING to do with amd not accepting broken cores, and for your information, intel will not replace a broken core either.
B: AMD CORES do not BREAK for no reason, all broken cores are user error, PERIOD. Fried is arguable, but not cracked, understood.

Quote:
Maybe you do not understand the situation in Korea exactly. Amd company members should think that It's serious more than they thought.

Maybe you cannot understand what I am saying, amd does not warranty oem processors, amd does NOT cover overclocking, and it never has, any implied warranty of such came from the RESELLER.

AMD has made no official statement the warranty has changed, and it has not, resellers selling oem chips and claiming they have a warranty are lying to you.

OEM amd chips by DEFFINTION do not have a warranty.

Retail amd chips should be returned to AMD DIRECTLY, not the reseller.

Untill you offer proof this is amd's fault, there is no point in having a discussion about what amd did wrong, because from where im standing it appears as if the korean resellers are [-peep-] you guys in the ass, and pawning it off on amd, and that the korean consumer is being suckered into believing that load of bs.

March 23, 2002 3:13:19 AM

Zen, I agree, but he is cluttering up our forum with the same freaking topic, and I will post at least once in each thread to shut him up or at least let the strangers to the forum know hes full of it.

March 23, 2002 3:13:45 AM

Maybe you forgot what "resellers' mean here. The resellers STOPPED dealing with AMD products. Those companies and non-corporate dealers have maybe 50,000 AMD CPUs in stock and they just gave them up. That's their loss. I don't know exactly what they are going to their AMD products.

Where is your proof AMD never changed its warranty when AMD did say it changed it? Even if the change does not affect you, it means change.

All the links prove AMD has changed. You just never read them.

If AMD has promised even overclocked CPUs can be replaced, it should regardless what the box say. If AMD said clearly it won't replace overclocked CPUs, well it's the user's choice to overclock on their risk or not. I am not talking about overclocked CPU here. AMD is not replacing any CPU it has sold under the condition it will replace ANY CPU whether it's broken or burnt or just not boots for no apparent reason.

March 23, 2002 3:15:55 AM

hyun perhaps AMD should make a *special* case of Korea and let Koreans continue to run roughshod over the standard warranty.

Oh wait!

That's what they DID and look where it got them!

Whoops!

AMD Bad!

AMD's biggest mistake was in allowing this to go on so long without taking action MUCH sooner.

You have numerous people on this forum and others who all say that of the dozens and sometimes hundreds of AMD CPUs they have installed NONE have broken.

Another thing. I bet if it was only an occasional person returning a cpu with cracked or broken core that AMD would probably have been fine with it. But when it got out of hand they took drastic measures to correct it. With no knowledge whether the CPU was indeed broken through no fault of the user or otherwise, in Korea, AMD has had to rectify a situation of their good intentions allowing OEMs to return damaged CPUs even though their warranty said NO to strict adherence to the warranty

Simple
Cut and dried
settled.

Except for the angry resellers and users

March 23, 2002 3:20:01 AM

Game? Rule?

It's not a kind of game. It's a problem related to the right of consumers in Korea. Don't you think AMD must change the core-broken CPUs in their warrenty policy? if not, How do you think about INTEL! Maybe you are also one of the guys who say AMD CPUs are not weak and fragile.

Many peole say, if that's because of users' fault, it's natural CPU Companies not to change their CPUs. But Who can judge whether it's done by user's fault or not? ( I do not say special cases that users destory CPU deliberately but the cases just happened by CHANCE without user's fault)

Koreans are not ignorant about warranty. There are many PC-manias in Korea. The important thing is Amd betrayed Koreans and Koreans begin to launch a movement not to buy any AMD CPUs. And it's not only thoughts of just Koreans. As time goes on, many people who live outside Korea also start to say that AMD Korea is f*u*c*k*i*n*g Korean users.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hyunjun on 03/23/02 00:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 23, 2002 3:21:26 AM

Quote:
Where is your proof AMD never changed its warranty when AMD did say it changed it? Even if the change does not affect you, it means change.

Your the one making the claim, the proof lies upon the clamant, but if it makes you feel better I linked to the amd warranty page in another thread, its a world wide warranty, and it is the same as it always was.

AND IT DOSENT COVER CHIPPED CORES!

Quote:
Maybe you forgot what "resellers' mean here. The resellers STOPPED dealing with AMD products. Those companies and non-corporate dealers have maybe 50,000 AMD CPUs in stock and they just gave them up. That's their loss. I don't know exactly what they are going to their AMD products.

resellers probably have 20000 fried amds they cant return and took a huge loss, and are not selling amd chips anymore and blaming amd.

Quote:
If AMD has promised even overclocked CPUs can be replaced, it should regardless what the box say. If AMD said clearly it won't replace overclocked CPUs, well it's the user's choice to overclock on their risk or not. I am not talking about overclocked CPU here. AMD is not replacing any CPU it has sold under the condition it will replace ANY CPU whether it's broken or burnt or just not boots for no apparent reason.

AMD NEVER MADE THOSE CLAIMS, their warranty is EXPLICIT!

The RESELLERS MADE THOSE CLAIMS!

Prove amd itself made those claims, show me some official doccument saying amd korea supports overclocking and will rma any fried cpu due to overclocking.

You made the claim, back it up.

March 23, 2002 3:22:17 AM

Consider this more carefully please.

The Korean people paid a lot more than you do in American or in Europe for AMD processors whether its warranty is good or not. Now, after this warranty issue was known on March 11, a great many people are asking: why is an AMD CPU so expensive?

People in Korea will buy Athlon XP even if it's with NO WARRANTY if they can buy it for the same price as is in the US.

Maybe AMD should change the warranty policy to "NO WARRANTY" and then lower the price to half.

March 23, 2002 3:23:22 AM

Quote:
AMD is not replacing any CPU it has sold under the condition it will replace ANY CPU whether it's broken or burnt or just not boots for no apparent reason.

Amd will replace any cpu which does not start if the warranty details were followed properly, instead of contacting the reseller call amd itself for return information.

Secondly, cpus do NOT stop working for no reason, they dont just not start one day. If the cpu is doa(shipped broken) returning it is simple, if you have it for a year it shouldnt just stop working unless you messed up, however if the retail hsf was in use(as speccified by amds warranty) and a cpu just dies, it is returnable.

March 23, 2002 3:26:23 AM

Quote:
It's not a kind of game. It's a problem related to the right of consumers in Korea. Don't you think AMD must change the core-broken CPUs in their warrenty policy? if not, How do you think about INTEL! Maybe you are also one of the guys who say AMD CPUs are not weak and fragile.

Nope they dont, amds warranty is VERY SPECIFIC, you should try reading it instead of believing any crap the korean reseller tries to feed you.

And intels warranty is the SAME, if you tear the heatspreader off a p4 and try to return it IT WILL BE REJECTED.

Case closed.

Quote:
Many peole say, if that's because of users' fault, it's natural CPU Companies not to change their CPUs. But Who can judge whether it's done by user's fault or not? ( I do not say special cases that users destory CPU deliberately but the cases just happened by CHANCE)

A cracked core is not chance, it is ALWAYS user error, there is no normal use way for an amd core to crack.

Quote:
Koreans are not ignorant about warranty. There are many PC-manias in Korea. The important thing is Amd betrayed Koreans and Koreans begin to launch a movement not to buy any AMD CPUs. And it's not only thoughts of Koreans. As time goes on, many ex-Koreans also start to say that AMD Korea is f*u*c*k*i*n*g Korean users.

If anyone got [-peep-] in korea, it was amd from all the ILLEGAL returns forced upon them, and when amd said enough, the resellers complain because they LIED to the consumer and now are left with warranties THEY IMPLIED, which are NOT amd sponsored.

March 23, 2002 3:27:00 AM

Hmm. Congratulations. You've just become another primary target in a serious big issue after those issues discussing health care (doctors vs. Korea) and communist vs. Korea.

March 23, 2002 3:28:16 AM

Quote:
Consider this more carefully please.

The Korean people paid a lot more than you do in American or in Europe for AMD processors whether its warranty is good or not. Now, after this warranty issue was known on March 11, a great many people are asking: why is an AMD CPU so expensive?

People in Korea will buy Athlon XP even if it's with NO WARRANTY if they can buy it for the same price as is in the US.

Maybe AMD should change the warranty policy to "NO WARRANTY" and then lower the price to half.

EVERYONE in every other country pays more for amd cpus than the us, (except maybe germany).

You are NOT paying more for a warranty, you are paying more for international shipping etc etc.

I dont care if people will buy the chip with no warranty at us prices, you are complaining about international pricing, which affects intel just as much as amd, and blaming amd for it?

AMD has not changed its warranty at all, and its pricing will remain the same, live with it and dont believe resellers who are lying to you.

March 23, 2002 3:34:15 AM

That's good to hear.

CutePunk and other people from Korea explained the matter. AMD is denying what you've just said. Maybe it's just a lie from somewhere. But then so many people are lying obviously. Some people said they learned AMD at Austin "ordered" them to do this. (In Korean language.)

Well, maybe AMD hired the wrong people in South Korea. I don't know who appoint whom.

March 23, 2002 3:34:48 AM

And MY point, Hyunjun, is that when AMD allowed returns of cpus with damaged cores was abused SOOO badly (in comparison to other countries apparently), that AMD had to take drastic measures and stick to their warranty.

The problem is if they returned a cpu for one person they'd have to return them for all...whether they were user caused damage or not. AMD trusted the OEM's and consumers and that trust was abused.

Mark-

March 23, 2002 3:37:44 AM

Quote:
CutePunk and other people from Korea explained the matter. AMD is denying what you've just said. Maybe it's just a lie from somewhere. But then so many people are lying obviously. Some people said they learned AMD at Austin "ordered" them to do this. (In Korean language.)

What is amd denying.

Amd has officially changed no warranty.

The resellers are saying amd korea told them not to accept returns, why that may be true, since the returns are ILLEGAL.

The warranty you purchased your athlons under is the same now as it was then, which I posted. There is no warranty coverage for broken cores, and for any frying unless the retail hsf was in use at the time. Its plain and simple.

If the resellers say, "buy amd, you can fry it all you want and we will replace it" they are the ones making the claim, when amd stopped accepting their ILLEGAL returns, the resellers were put in a very nasty positon, so since you koreans have no contact with amd directly, the resellers are spoon feeding you guys a bunch of bullshit.

SO perhaps you should boycott the resellers instead of amd.

March 23, 2002 3:40:42 AM

Hm. I know the prices in UK and in Japan. It has nothing to do with international shipping.

Intel CPU pricing in Korea is not more than 20 percent different from that of the US market. I think I told you many times before.

March 23, 2002 3:43:05 AM

Quote:
Hm. I know the prices in UK and in Japan. It has nothing to do with international shipping.

Intel CPU pricing in Korea is not more than 20 percent different from that of the US market. I think I told you many times before.

The prices in japan I dont know, but the prices in the uk are LARGE premiums over the us, they basically switch the $ with the pound meaning they pay almost twice as much.

Intels prices in korea are what?

Give me links showing the price and I will see how much of a premium they charge.

PS: intel has fabs in asia IIRC, that would be a huge factor in asian market pricing.

PPS: Dont compare grey market pricing with official pricing, just incase thats what you have been doing.

March 23, 2002 3:45:13 AM

Quote:

But regardless, you are saying amd is shafting the korean consumer with its warranty change, when there is no change, price is a seperate and subjective matter, stay on topic.

March 23, 2002 3:46:07 AM

Quote:

Also, do you think that maybe the prices were so high due to the ungodly amount of rmas the korean market had?

returns raise prices, and if a country has 20times the return rate of others, the price in that country NATURALLY will increase.

March 23, 2002 3:46:36 AM

You are telling me an entire nation of nearly 50 million is lying at the same time about one company called AMD.

There are probably more than 10,000 resellers dealing with AMD processors selling directly to end-user customers.

Can they lie at the same moment?

It's AMD that has power over those resellers, not the other way around.

March 23, 2002 3:48:28 AM

Quote:
You are telling me an entire nation of nearly 50 million is lying at the same time about one company called AMD.

There are probably more than 10,000 resellers dealing with AMD processors selling directly to end-user customers.

Can they lie at the same moment?

Im saying 50million consumers are being lied to.

You didnt link to 10000 resellers, you linked to a few main ones, you say that you were promised a 1 year no questions asked return warranty, that amd did NOT authorise, so I ask you, who authorised the warranty?

March 23, 2002 3:48:52 AM

Quote:

Prove it, and untill you do, im done with this discussion.

March 23, 2002 3:50:39 AM

Let's see...the "new" warranty terms you describe from AMD are the same warranty terms we in the U.S. have faced since day one. You break your CPU, that's nobody's fault but yours. Apparently your part of the world was given some slack regarding the warranty, and you're upset now that you face the same warranty the rest of the world does.

When an Athlon CPU gets fabbed, secured in pin packaging, packed in a box/tray, shipped many miles, stored in a warehouse, purchased, taken home, taken out of the box, and then magically breaks <i><b>only in the end-user's hands</b></i>, you expect us to believe that it's AMD's fault? Bullshit, plain and simple. If you break your CPU, it's user error. Not to mention which, we on the other side of the pond haven't even heard of a broken Athlon in ages. They're just not that fragile, AthlonXP's especially. You can tell me all you want how Koreans are skilled craftsmen and make do with very little, but that doesn't change the fact that broken Athlons are invariably user error.

You now face the standard AMD warranty, just like the rest of us. You're not angry about being singled out for punishment; you're angry because you were once singled out for special treatment, and now you're not. If you want to feel trod-upon for that, go ahead and wallow in it. Just don't expect us to feel sorry for you.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2002 4:02:00 AM

this guy has been giving you links from day one, why are you acting like those monkeys see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil?

have you even visited those links? this serious stuff to even try and sweep this under the rug is foolish, i bet the only thing that would change your attidude is if the inquire.net carried this news right?

to the people from korea, send this news and the details of whats happening to mike magee at the inquire.net they would love to hear this type of stuff.

---------------------------
Epox 8kha+ w/AXP1.53
Dual Abit VP6 w/2 1GHz P3's
March 23, 2002 4:10:04 AM

Quote:
this guy has been giving you links from day one, why are you acting like those monkeys see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil?

he has been providing links to forums and resellers talking about how RESELLERS will not accept returns on OEM CHIPS, which DONT HAVE A WARRANTY FROM AMD AT ALL!.

And blaming it on amd, so I am asking him for links to either amd stating it will warranty korean oem chips and allows returns for failed overclocking and cracked cores, OR an official amd link which states they have changed their korean warranty.

Is that clear to you, or do you still think this guy has all the proof he needs to blame amd for the fact that his oem chips have no warranty?

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2002 4:28:17 AM

yeah but remember the p3 1.13 when tom brought that out to the public? intel never said anything for a long time and they kept at it until intel spilled the beans! i'm just saying don't shoot the messenger and don't try to silence the vocal majority. even eron was quite shady and nobody really knew the full story,

---------------------------
Epox 8kha+ w/AXP1.53
Dual Abit VP6 w/2 1GHz P3's
March 23, 2002 4:52:25 AM

Quote:
! i'm just saying don't shoot the messenger and don't try to silence the vocal majority. even eron was quite shady and nobody really knew the full story,

I am not shooting the messenger, several other koreans have come forth, and have been kind and respectful, and get meaningful discourse on the subject.

kennishin insulted everyone in several threads calling us racists and ultimatly getting fredi to lock the origional thread.

I am not trying to say he is lying, what I am asking for is evidence to back up his irrational claim, and he has yet to provide it.

Several have claimed amd provided 1 year warranties on oem chips, but I think the resellers are the ones who claimed that warranty, and since no one has an official word from amd stating so, and I have amds official warranty policy which has not changed and clearly procludes chipped cores or user damage, kennyshins position is the weaker one right now.

So he can provide some kind of evidence, or he can stop whining about it on our forum, plain and simple.

March 23, 2002 6:02:41 AM

OK kelledin. You are right.

Just don't expect Koreans will buy any more AMD processor. AMD not just discriminates countries but also lies and then blames the customers for their fragile products. Jerry Sanders III will soon quit his job and maybe the next guy will be better. Or, HP or Dell should buy AMD.

March 23, 2002 6:07:47 AM

It was the consumers who trusted AMD. I do not know any company that really trusts its customers completely. AMD wanted market and got it. Then, it became arrogant and so broke promise.

So you think Intel will also pull out of the market since Koreans soooooooooooooooooo abuse their processors?

You imagine so many things about me personally and then about the whole population.

March 23, 2002 6:08:11 AM

Interesting that you should bring up HP. HP and Intel are partners in IA64. If the Compaq merger goes through we will likely see the end of any AMD offerings at Compaq. We will probably see the introduction of Itanium systems there though.

Does AMD have any other major OEMs besides Compaq? If not, they might be in for some tough times.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
March 23, 2002 6:19:01 AM

Hm. I know HP first offered server products based on IA64. It was funny to see how Sun responded to HP since HP was selling HP-8000 and then IA64 which is binary-incompatible (long ago, can't remember well) with previous HP platforms. I momentarily forgot that fact. I just checked AMD's financial status and wondered how it can survive at all. Only recently Samsung and a very small number of companies began to AMD-based PCs in Korea. If AMD do not listen to what its most enthusiastic people say, there'll no AMD. I don't feel much sympathy about AMD either especially now.

I don't have any antipathy related to companies or brands. Maybe I hate Samsung and other "jaebol" companies because they have a long tradition to cooperate with the dictators here but even then I buy Samsung products a lot. (I was grown up in a politically isolated city called Kwangju whose citizens were massacred in 1980.)

March 23, 2002 6:33:26 AM

Samsung actually makes the best RDRAM at the moment. My Samsung modules came from Korea. If you know anyone who works there send them my thanks. ;) 

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
March 23, 2002 7:53:41 AM

Quote:
OK kelledin. You are right.

Just don't expect Koreans will buy any more AMD processor. AMD not just discriminates countries but also lies and then blames the customers for their fragile products. Jerry Sanders III will soon quit his job and maybe the next guy will be better. Or, HP or Dell should buy AMD.

Your position is crushed(in every thread you started), your bias is clear, and you are a listed troll, run along and enjoy your intel chip.

March 23, 2002 8:44:22 AM

I see.
Well, I know some people but I don't like Samsung though I use Samsung products because Samsung's service is the best in Korea even if it offers only 1-year for which it offers 3-year overseas.
I like Crucial memory because it says lifetime warranty though it does not mean much in Korea. Samsung offers 1-year warranty for its memory products here and it's the longest imaginable here.

March 23, 2002 4:58:38 PM

Quote:

Want U.S. prices? You'll have to come to the U.S. This price argument is not valid. I understand that you pay a premium, but that so do all nations. Want Japanese or Chinese prices? Go there.

I don't bitch when I have to pay more for avocados here then I do elsewhere even though they grow 95% of the USA's avocados in CA. I can go and pick one off the tree, but if I go and buy one in the market it costs a fortune. How is that possible with 60,000 acres of avocado trees in CA? I'll move if I want cheaper avocados though. I won't bitch. Simple analogy.

You are so eager to point the finger at AMD, and you refuse to accept the faults of the vendors or the consumers. So naive.

<font color=red>First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.</font color=red><font color=blue>
March 23, 2002 6:40:24 PM

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but after reading all these posts about what may or may not be going on in Korea with AMD, I've had my fill. Go discuss it on Korean forums where people care. Who knows what's really going on anyway? It all sounds like he said she said, but the bottom line is I'm pretty certain that AMD has not changed one word of their warranty. If you don't like AMD anymore, fine, I get the point. Go buy an Intel processor and quit filling up this forum with the same stuff over and over and over.

<i>I made you look. But I can't make you see.</i>
March 23, 2002 7:28:31 PM

Quote:
Your position is crushed(in every thread you started), your bias is clear, and you are a listed troll, run along and enjoy your intel chip.

His possition was not 'crushed'. Just because you don't agree with someone does not mean their 'position was crushed'. His bias has a reason for being, the koreans who bought amd chips for the 'superior performance of the athlon platform' were screwed over by a change in warrenty policy.

The fact of the matter is, wether it is directly amd's fault or wether it is the main resellers fault, the company would now be in a bad light in an ENTIRE COUNTRY. That's bad news, especially since south korea is a very large market.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
March 23, 2002 7:45:43 PM

Quote:
His possition was not 'crushed'. Just because you don't agree with someone does not mean their 'position was crushed'. His bias has a reason for being, the koreans who bought amd chips for the 'superior performance of the athlon platform' were screwed over by a change in warrenty policy.

Obviously you cant read, his position is amd is responsible for the warranty policy change, a posistion which has been crushed.

With the rate of returns amd was losing money in korea anyways I would imagine, so even if they lose 100% of their sales in korea they still come out ahead.

March 23, 2002 8:32:47 PM

if I couldn't read I wouldn't be able to respond to your message.

I did not state that I agreed with his view, I stated that no matter who's fault it was the market loss would be bad for amd. Perhaps you are the one who cannot read.

Amd will not come ahead if they lose the sales of a large market, even if they did lose money due to returns, if they have a bad reputation they will lose many FUTURE sales of new chips as people's brand loyalty is shattered.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>
March 23, 2002 9:05:45 PM

Quote:
I did not state that I agreed with his view, I stated that no matter who's fault it was the market loss would be bad for amd. Perhaps you are the one who cannot read.

Amd will not come ahead if they lose the sales of a large market, even if they did lose money due to returns, if they have a bad reputation they will lose many FUTURE sales of new chips as people's brand loyalty is shattered.

But amd is not pulling out of the korean market, if amd had a 20% marketshare and returns were causing them to lose money per chip sold, then even if they lose 80% of their marketshare by no longer accepting the illegal returns, they still come out ahead money wise because the returns are no longer eating their money.

And with lower costs they will be able to sell the chips for lower prices, and eventually everyone wins, the only people who lose in the short term is the korean consumers, but the RESELLERS [-peep-] them, not amd.

Kennyshins posistion(the one I said was crushed) was that it is amds fault, and amd changed its warranty policy, and that amd itself said oem chips have a 1 year warranty, none of which amd did, so his point is invalid, and crushed.

!