Installation Question

tbigley

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
I apologize if this question has been answered elsewhere but in my searching I did not find exactly what I was looking for, perhaps I used the wrong keywords, but here goes.

In building a new Desktop, I need to install an OS, that much is a given.

I am a student and have had my student status verified but Microsoft DreamSpark and therefore can download windows 7 Profession 64bit for free and receive a Activation key, or I can have them send me the disks and key for ~$24. Now my first inclination was to get the CD's as the cost is wonderful compared to the regular retail cost, and since I can't download it for the desktop until it's up and running and cant get it up and running without the OS, I felt this was a no brainer. Well low and behold they are out of stock currently.

And so the question is, If I download windows 7 and put it on a flash card (3gb I believe is the space required) is this a legitimate and reliable way to then install it on the new Desktop? I've read of people having issues with this, but I feel as though it would work and could save me a few bucks still (as I already have a flash drive capable of holding it)

Or should I just wait for them to be in stock again and get the CD's?

I'm not looking for a play by play on how to use the flash card as theres plenty of tutorials out there, but they are mostly just for changing the OS on an already running desktop as opposed to installing it on a brand new one. So a simple yes, you will be fine installing from the flash drive or no you's dumb now go get the CD's will be fine :).

Thank you.
-T