Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 OEM PRODUCT KEY TRANSFER

Last response: in Windows 7
February 23, 2013 12:39:50 PM

Hello,
I am currently running Windows 7 Prof in an old computer with full product key as I bought it. I am buying a new pc running Windows 7 Prof which will have an OEM Key. As I will be giving away the old pc I would like to swap product nos - put the purchased key on my new pc & the OEM on the old pc 9this product key hasnt been registered yet]. Can I do this by just changing the product key on the old pc to the OEM no and then reinstalling Windows Prof on the new pc with my old no. Do I have to change anything in the BIOS etc? Final point is it possible to transfer all my existing settings to the new pc? Thanks
February 23, 2013 12:54:15 PM

Yes you can, you'll just have to call Microsoft support line to carry it over to the new motherboard. You won't have to do anything in BIOS.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2013 1:25:54 PM

You can not move the OEM to your old PC. The license ties it to the first motherboard it is activated.

As long as the old PC's operating system is a retail version, you can move it over.

Just sell the old PC with hard drive wiped clean.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2013 1:34:28 PM

The key here is activation, as Long as you have NOT activated it, yes you can move it. If it has been activated - NO, as Traildriver stated "it is tied to MB that it was activated on, and can only be used with a different MB is if the 1st MB DIED.

PS - Caution, If New PC has been powered on and connected to internet, good old uSoft may have gone ahead and activated it for YOU!!.

Added: may have to do a re-install, but can try to reactivate old PC with "new" oem Key.
February 24, 2013 10:34:36 AM

Best answer selected by Zdab.
m
l
!