Windows 7 OEM PRODUCT KEY TRANSFER

Zdab

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hello,
I am currently running Windows 7 Prof in an old computer with full product key as I bought it. I am buying a new pc running Windows 7 Prof which will have an OEM Key. As I will be giving away the old pc I would like to swap product nos - put the purchased key on my new pc & the OEM on the old pc 9this product key hasnt been registered yet]. Can I do this by just changing the product key on the old pc to the OEM no and then reinstalling Windows Prof on the new pc with my old no. Do I have to change anything in the BIOS etc? Final point is it possible to transfer all my existing settings to the new pc? Thanks

Solution
The key here is activation, as Long as you have NOT activated it, yes you can move it. If it has been activated - NO, as Traildriver stated "it is tied to MB that it was activated on, and can only be used with a different MB is if the 1st MB DIED.

PS - Caution, If New PC has been powered on and connected to internet, good old uSoft may have gone ahead and activated it for YOU!!.

Added: may have to do a re-install, but can try to reactivate old PC with "new" oem Key.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
You can not move the OEM to your old PC. The license ties it to the first motherboard it is activated.

As long as the old PC's operating system is a retail version, you can move it over.

Just sell the old PC with hard drive wiped clean.

The key here is activation, as Long as you have NOT activated it, yes you can move it. If it has been activated - NO, as Traildriver stated "it is tied to MB that it was activated on, and can only be used with a different MB is if the 1st MB DIED.

PS - Caution, If New PC has been powered on and connected to internet, good old uSoft may have gone ahead and activated it for YOU!!.

Added: may have to do a re-install, but can try to reactivate old PC with "new" oem Key.

Solution