PIII 133 at 100mhz?

G

I have an old Asus M/B that will accept upto 800 mhz P-III's on a 100mhz bus. A friend is sending me a pair of P-III 800's, eb I believe is the code but they are made for a 133 mhz bus. Same slot so there isn't a problem there. Is it possible to Underclock these to a 100 mhz so it will work or is there no chance?

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
If your motherboard will not do a 133MHz FSB, then your processors will run at 600MHz on a 100MHz FSB.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

Why would this be?? I can do an 8 multiplier on a 100 mhz bus?

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
You cannot change the multiplier as it is locked.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

G

so the cpu will override it then? I've got both jumpers on my Asus P2B-D. Bus frequency from 50 to 112 mhz and core multipliers from 2x to 8x.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
The processor is locked at its multiplier. The motherboard settings are ignored.

-Raystonn

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm assuming that you have an Asus P2B motherboard? These will support 133MHz FSB, but you'll need PC133 to do it, and your AGP port will be overclocked, mandating a decent video card. All Intel PIII's except engineering samples are mulitplier locked, meaning they have their own multiplier (not exactly, but they actually force their value on the motherboard's mulitplier). Also, some older revisions of the P2B would not run any processor with a lower voltage than 1.80v, if your in that situation you may need to modify the detected voltage to a higher level in order to make it even fire up at any speed!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Yes. Its a P2B-D. Its got a pair of PII 400's in it now and is on a shelf. IF I can get it upto even 600 with the 800eb's then I'd set it up as a rendernode and it would be worth the trouble.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like a good deal, I would get them since they are free. You can overclock the chipset on that board to if you want to try, and I really think it's worth a try, the 133 settings are no longer documented to my knowlege, but I'm sure other memebers of the forum will give them to you.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

eden

Champion
I sure hope Mat's cousin was right about Intel possibly removing that multiplier lock restriction soon, cuz it's really cramping people and overclockers' style!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I sure hope Mat's cousin was right about Intel possibly removing that multiplier lock restriction soon, cuz it's really cramping people and overclockers' style!
Wifes cousin, so I suppose hes my cousin in law.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink: