Duron 1.2 Vs. Tbird 1.0

Zort

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2002
As this is my first post here, forgive me for being wordy. I currently run a Duron 600 on an Epox KTA3pro+ (VIA 133A chipset). I am looking to upgrade the chip, but my power supply (a mere 250w) can't really push out enough juice for a pretty XP, and I doubt it can really do more than the line at the Tbird 1.0/Duron 1.2 ghz level. My question is, is the 266 fsb difference with the tbird going to make the difference with the rest of my system when I'm burning and such that it'll overcome the 200 mhz difference with the duron?

Thanks for your time.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
if i was u i would change my power supply. they are fairly cheap. 250W is not really sufficient for todays processors especially if you are running a lot of HDD cdroms burners etc. once u have at least a 350W psu then u can upgrade to that xp2100. but to answer your question a tbird 1ghz will easily outperform a duron 1.2ghz. not only because of the faster fsb but also because of the much larger cache. so if u dont upgrade psu ur best bet is probably the tbird

how do you set a laser printer to stun?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
"a tbird 1ghz will easily outperform a duron 1.2ghz"

I disagree with that claim. Check out Aceshardware.com's Extreme upgrade article. It shows that a Duron (Morgan core) does very nicely against a Tbird at same clock speed. The hardware prefetch of the Duron and SSE means the Duron can outperform the Tbird by a large margin (I think it was 25%) in things like DivX encoding and that's at the same speed. In general applications the Duron is still close. A Duron 1.2 would have no problem over a Tbird 1.0.

On the otherhand, the Tbird 1.0 (AYHJAR-Y) is a much better overclocker. I have mine at 1.5 ghz (on an 8KTA3PRO).

I do agree with a bigger power supply but Enermax (I have a 330 watter) can have problems on Epox boards. It seems that these boards derive most power from the +5 volt rail (but not the 12 volt stuff) and almost nothing from the +3.3 rail. This is very taxing on Enermax PSUs which tend to run a little on the low side for 5 volts, anyway.

With Enermax and Epox, I'd recommend the 430 watt model or higher.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Don't know if you are interested but a Duron 600 is usually a real good overclocker and the 8KTA3+PRO is an exceptional overclocking board. It even has a factory mod that lets you bring core voltage to 2.25 volts (2.15 volts when using a Duron). I had my Duron 600 at 1007 mhz for a year (on a different motherboard) and about a month on a 8KTA3PRO. The Duron is still going strong but nephew owns it now.

Conservatively you can probably get your Duron to 900 mhz without any trouble at all. Might give you enough of a performance boost to put off upgrading. You would need a bigger power supply though. A good one is an investment for the future. If you see my other post you'll see I recommend the 430 watt Enermax but Sparkle and Fortron are good. 350 watts for these are probably good enough for now and the future.

You might not even need to unlock that Duron. A lot of them can run at 133mhz. That alone would overclock your CPU to 800mhz. Might need a better heatsink for this but you don't need much for a Duron.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/23/02 02:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Zort

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2002
I got it set at 133 fsb already. It runs decent enough, but it needs some more punch. (I don't plan to upgrade this comp any farther but instead buy a new hammer later, so want to get it to a decent stage).