Time For A New Machine...

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Well, mostly.

I want to update the PC I have in the living room that is 'kind of' quiet to one that fits nicely on an audio midi shelf and is quiet and good looking.

Cases are the key here and I'm kinda defaulting in <A HREF="http://www.coolermaster.com/products/atc/atc600.html" target="_new"> this</A> direction. For one, although expensive the case looks pretty good. This is pretty key for me since it will be sitting with some fairly sweet AV gear.

To populate it, I'm thinking an Asus P4B266-M (with audio and LAN) and Northwood 1.6A. I already have 2 x HDD and DVD/CD-RW for it.

So, what do we think? What else is out there that is going to look good as a case, and anyone got alternative suggestions for mobo/cpu? I figured the cpu is going to be more than ok for pretty much everything (DIVX, DVD, MP3 playback and MP3 ripping, web browsing etc.) o that should be ok. To be frank, I'm already using a PIII700@933 without troubles, so I could just go to a M-ATX Tualatin capable board and leave the cpu for now.

Actuall, I'm going to re-use that PIII and it's board in another system, so scrub that. I'll get a new board and cpu. I do have stacks of PC133CL2 around though.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I would recommend selling your stacks of PC133 memory. You really do not want to reuse them, as they offering considerably less performance than you can get from other memory technology. If you want to go with a Pentium 4 1.6A, go ahead and grab an Abit TH7II-RAID and two double-sided 256MB PC800 Samsung RDRAM modules. You will do very well with such a setup.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
That’s a nice looking case. Now you got me thinking about rearranging some stuff. MicroATX huh. What are you using for keyboard/com IR?

All errors are undocumented features waiting to be discovered.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I have a Yahoo1 wireless keyboard (900Mhz) with integrated trackpad.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Yeah, I was thinking about the memory. I think the a-bit is out, hence going with the Asus, since it needs to be micro-atx.

cannot get onto a-bits site right now to see what micro-atx they do.

I was considering the P4T-EM but unfortunately I cannot get it in Japan.

TRENDING THREADS