Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ or Intel P4 1600

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2002 5:10:00 PM

Hi I'm new here and I know little on computer hardware. Which is better to buy? Athlon 1800 or P4 1600? I don't think a 200 Mhz difference is a big deal all i want is a processor that's reliable, fast, and basically runs smoothly without causing problems. I've heard Athlon causes problems including overheating (it's hell-like here during the summer).

Thank you for your time
March 23, 2002 5:25:22 PM

1. not trying to sound mean, but look back a little bit in the cpu section. there has been at least a few good threads about this topic, some good advice and info.

2. an athlon XP1800 runs at 1.533ghz, not 1.8ghz. so you are looking at a difference of roughly 67mhz clock per clock.

3. these two chips with no overclocking, the athlon xp1800 will perform better. so do you plan on overclocking? it doesn't seem that you would. but you also do not seem like you're worried about getting the "all out fastest" chip.

4. either cpu/setup will run fine under most any conditions. no matter which cpu you go for, they do require a correct heatsink+fan installation in order to run at it's fullest potential.

5. right now. for you i would say go with a p4 1.6ghz. yes it will run somewhat cooler than the athlon, because it's a bit different technology. also with the p4 1.6 after a while, if you start getting into computers more, it will offer a good overclock. i'm not familiar with motherboards for the p4, but i've heard good things about abit and asus boards. someone else could recommend an exact model.

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol: 
March 23, 2002 6:29:59 PM

One question : is the Pentium 4 1600 or 1600A ? big difference.

1600A is a northwood CPU (.13 micron process) as opposed to just 1600 which is a willamette CPU (.18 micron process - hotter,slower,worse...)

if its 1600A (northwood) , get it , or else go with the Athlon because it much faster than the willamette 1600.

Any mystery devised by mortal mind can be solved therewith - Holmes
Related resources
March 23, 2002 7:48:22 PM

At stock the athlon will perform MUCH better than the p4.

The p4 however overclockes better, I would go with the athlon since you dont look to be the overclocking type.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
March 23, 2002 9:39:32 PM

Oh my God, what the hell kind of question is that. THE XP 1800 duh!!! The XP1800 out performs the 1.6 in almost everything, significantly. Especially in games. Also a good P4 mobo is more than a good athlon mobo, so a P4 will cost more, even though it sucks more. The XP overclocks just fine with a good HSF. You could probably get it to the level of a 2100, possibly even 2200 with air cooling.

The first LAN I went to was at a PETA convention. They booted me after I shot a zombie in HL DM!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Willamette_Sucks on 03/23/02 06:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 23, 2002 9:52:08 PM

Pentium 4 1.6A with 3 year warranty and retail heatsink/fan: $133
Athlon 1.53GHz (XP 1800) with 3 year warranty and retail heatsink/fan: $127

The Pentium 4 system will run at 2.4GHz without much of an effort and without buying any new parts. The Pentium 4 system is a much better deal.

Quote:
The XP overclocks just fine with a good HSF. You could probably get it to the level of a 2100, possibly even 2200 with air cooling.

How much would that special heatsink/fan cost you for the Athlon just to get you up to 1.73GHz (a 2100 PR rating)? It would still be well below the performance of the 1.6A at 2.4GHz, even if you did get it that high.

The Pentium 4 only needs to operate at 2.2GHz with a 400MHz FSB to beat out the XP 2100. Ours is operating at 2.4GHz with a much higher FSB, which means it will outperform your Athlon. It also costs less than your Athlon overclock when you consider that you cannot overclock Athlons using the retail heatsink/fan.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
March 23, 2002 10:00:54 PM

A 1.6A going to 2.4 ive heard of, but with a retail HSF??? I don't know. First of all, consider the PR rating 2200, which is highly atainable. Secondly, a Dragon Orb 3, one of the best HSF's for an athlon costs around $25. An OEM XP1600's, probly around $115-$120, youd have to check. An AXP and a 2.4 P4, would run comparably, the P4 might have a slight advantage. Also rambus ram is more than DDR, 266 or 333, and P4 mobos are more than good Athlon mobos, which can be found for around $100. All things considered a P4 system would cost you probly around $100 bucks more, assuming rambus is more expensive, processor is more expensive, and mobo is more expensive.

The first LAN I went to was at a PETA convention. They booted me after I shot a zombie in HL DM!
March 23, 2002 10:07:04 PM

Quote:

A 1.6A going to 2.4 ive heard of, but with a retail HSF??? I don't know. First

FatBurger did it, albeit with a temp of 70c.

Of course, one could debate that an Iwill XP333 running on a 200MHz or higher FSB with high quality overclocked Kingmax or Corsair DDR333 to DDR400, might be able to outdo the P4. Nothing is certain.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 23, 2002 10:07:24 PM

Quote:
A 1.6A going to 2.4 ive heard of, but with a retail HSF???

Yes, come out from under the rock. This is common practice.

Quote:
First of all, consider the PR rating 2200, which is highly atainable.

Not really. It takes a great deal of effort to push an Athlon that high, along with an expensive heatsink/fan.

Quote:
Also rambus ram is more than DDR, 266 or 333

Sorry, good DDR SDRAM costs more than the Samsung RDRAM that everyone uses for overclocks. The tables have turned on that one.

Quote:
All things considered a P4 system would cost you probly around $100 bucks more, assuming rambus is more expensive, processor is more expensive, and mobo is more expensive.

The RDRAM is cheaper, the processor costs about the same, and the motherboard price depends on what you get. The best motherboards cost a bit more.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
March 23, 2002 10:10:35 PM

Quote:
FatBurger did it, albeit with a temp of 70c.

His temps are now down around 40C if I recall correctly. He had a bad case with terrible airflow. As I said earlier, if you have a case with good airflow, pushing a 1.6A up to 2.4GHz takes about 30 seconds in the BIOS if you have the right parts.

-Raystonn

March 23, 2002 10:17:04 PM

c'mon guys. i don't mean to be prude. but i think we're losing track of what this guy is asking. i don't see him getting these parts and right off the bat knowing exactly how/what and oc either cpu. i suggested a p4 1.6 because it would give him more leeway to OC later on if HE CHOSE to do it and became knowlegeable if he took the time to do so. but he's never replied back so who knows what his intentions are, does he want to get into computers and know about hardware, etc. or does he just want a pretty good system that he can run with? either setup would work fine for him, but it could go either way depending on what his intentions are. i think he's asking an honest question, so i don't think it's all that great to turn this thread into the numerous other ones that are on this board.

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol: 
March 23, 2002 10:24:30 PM

If you can get a 1.6A to 2.4 with a retail HSF, then can't you get it to like 2.6 with a good one? And yes, getting a XP1600 to a 2200 is not that hard. A dragon orb 3 hsf will work great-$25. However, getting it to that level strictly using the fsb is definately more difficult. I was assuming unlocking the processor, which gives it the ability to be OC'd even more. Ive got an XP1900(1600Mhz), not unlocked yet, running at 1896 (fsb at 158, could go to 163 no prob) which is backed off a bit from being perfectly stable. This is approximately the level of a 2300++. After I unlock it i will be able to increase the multiplier to 12.5, which will be 1975Mhz or about the level of a 2500.
I have a dragon orb 3 and 4 case fans not including the PS or any other component. This is on a Soltek SL-7DVRV4(very nice board).

The first LAN I went to was at a PETA convention. They booted me after I shot a zombie in HL DM!
March 23, 2002 10:43:07 PM

Quote:
If you can get a 1.6A to 2.4 with a retail HSF, then can't you get it to like 2.6 with a good one?

The retail HSF that comes with Pentium 4 processor *is* a good one. In fact, it was recently switched from the good one we all know and love to a slightly better one, the Sunflower.

Quote:
I was assuming unlocking the processor, which gives it the ability to be OC'd even more.

This is hardly a 'plug n play' solution like overclocking the Pentium 4 1.6A. This requires a hardware mod to the processor, something a newbie would be totally unable to do.

Quote:
Ive got an XP1900(1600Mhz), not unlocked yet, running at 1896 (fsb at 158, could go to 163 no prob)

Now tell me, exactly what memory are you using? This is likely some expensive DDR SDRAM. Couple the expense of your memory and the need to purchase a better heatsink/fan, and you can see that the Pentium 4 1.6A solution has a better price/performance ratio.

-Raystonn

March 23, 2002 11:16:38 PM

Quote:
How much would that special heatsink/fan cost you for the Athlon just to get you up to 1.73GHz (a 2100 PR rating)? It would still be well below the performance of the 1.6A at 2.4GHz, even if you did get it that high.

The Pentium 4 only needs to operate at 2.2GHz with a 400MHz FSB to beat out the XP 2100. Ours is operating at 2.4GHz with a much higher FSB, which means it will outperform your Athlon. It also costs less than your Athlon overclock when you consider that you cannot overclock Athlons using the retail heatsink/fan.

The 2100+ on 133fsb is neck and neck with the 2200p4.

A good overclock of a 1800+ would be to around 150fsb giving about 2200++, which would be about neck and neck with a p4, for less than the p4, you can get a great cooler for around 15 bucks, so an oem 1800++ a cooler is LESS than the p4.

Both chips are good, both have pros and cons, but you should not go around saying every 1.6 hits 2.4ghz plus, I have linked to overclockers.com and shown that there are MANY p4s which top out at 2.2ghz.

March 23, 2002 11:20:14 PM

Quote:
Not really. It takes a great deal of effort to push an Athlon that high, along with an expensive heatsink/fan.

Another inaccurate post, the additional hsf can be had for no additional cost over a retail axp, remember oem axps are SIGNIFIGANTLY cheaper than retail p4's.

It is not difficult to get an 1800+ to 2100-2200++ simple fsb overclock, no need to unlock even.

Fatburger took a week to get his overclock stable, and he had to change a bios setting which to this day he still does not know what it changed, hardly simple as you say.

On an 1800+ simply up the ram voltage, set the fsb to 150-155 and thats it, no strange bios settings holding you back, plus you have the added benifit of being able to unlock the processor if you want to go beyond the limits the fsb place on you.

March 23, 2002 11:22:11 PM

Quote:
Sorry, good DDR SDRAM costs more than the Samsung RDRAM that everyone uses for overclocks. The tables have turned on that one.

define good, we had this discussion before, and you lost it.

DDR right now is cheaper(albeit slightly) than rdram.

Quote:
The RDRAM is cheaper, the processor costs about the same, and the motherboard price depends on what you get. The best motherboards cost a bit more.

No, yes(including a really good hsf you can reuse), and yes.

Does not appear the 1600mhz p4 is "far superior" to me ray, back to the drawing board you go.

March 23, 2002 11:23:36 PM

Quote:
i suggested a p4 1.6 because it would give him more leeway to OC later on if HE CHOSE to do it and became knowlegeable if he took the time to do so. but he's never replied back so who knows what his intentions are, does he want to get into computers and know about hardware, etc. or does he just want a pretty good system that he can run with?

Your suggestion was perfectly valid, my suggestion was that he sounds like he will never be overclocking, and even if he did the 1800+ would give him plenty of room to overclock when he decided to, what he gets with the 1800+ is much better performance now at stock.

March 23, 2002 11:26:06 PM

Quote:
Now tell me, exactly what memory are you using? This is likely some expensive DDR SDRAM. Couple the expense of your memory and the need to purchase a better heatsink/fan, and you can see that the Pentium 4 1.6A solution has a better price/performance ratio.

Not neccicarily, overvolting even cheap ddr produces much higher stable overclocks.

I built a system for a friend with generic no name ddr, and it would not do 133fsb with turbo settings on a kg7 raid motherboard, however when I upped the voltage to ~2.8volts not only would it do 133fsb turbo, it would do 150fsb TURBO, where it couldnt even do 136 normal before, overvolting is simpole to do with ddr, and you dont have to buy spendy corsair or crucial ddr to achieve good overclocks.

March 24, 2002 12:06:04 AM

Quote:
Fatburger took a week to get his overclock stable, and he had to change a bios setting which to this day he still does not know what it changed, hardly simple as you say.

Neither of those statements are true. You might want to PM me if you want to know more detail about my overclocking.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
March 24, 2002 12:19:11 AM

Burger, I'd appreciate it if you make the complete details public. I'd like to know too.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 24, 2002 12:35:41 AM

Thing is Amd Man do you want a HOT Room??? Summer time that system p4 1.6 at 2.4 will suck. And running a AC all the time to cool the room down to keep the computer cool. If I had the 1.6 I would over clock it untell it hit 50c.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2002 2:21:17 AM

man you still beating topics to the floor? the P4 1.6 is like the 300a in terms of o'c easy and stable use. alot of people that i know are selling their amd mainboars and getting nw's. i had a axp which bit the dust and took out part of my board. but my new 1.6 keeps chugging along. read what's happening at hardocp or anandtech.

---------------------------
Epox 8kha+ w/AXP1.53
Dual Abit VP6 w/2 1GHz P3's
March 24, 2002 2:51:50 AM

Quote:
Neither of those statements are true. You might want to PM me if you want to know more detail about my overclocking

Oh really now?

fatburger on 2/24/02

Quote:
Well, I'm currently at a 120MHz bus. 133 froze almost instantly in 3DMark. I probably just need more juice, I've got another BIOS sitting at work that will give me more, so hopefully tomorrow evening I can get to 133MHz.

fatburger on 3/01/02

Quote:
I'll post voltages tonight, I'll also try going to 134 instead of 133. If what FUGGER said is right (PCI bumping down every so often), maybe it's just bumping down 1MHz late.

Yes, I'm enjoying my P4 very much so far. My memory scores in Sandra 2002 are through the roof (>3GB/s, instead of 600MB/s with my KT7a-RAID), and it's performed well so far. My harddrives are choking for some reason, haven't figured that out yet.
I'm still just starting overclocking, we'll see how far I can go.

Thanks for the link, I had a look and at least one person had good success with the 77 BIOS, so I'll leave it for now at least.

Why more than a week later and still not to 133fsb, but lets continue.

Same day 3/01/02, 8 days after starting.

Quote:
Well, I finally got to where I should be. I didn't change anything except the Current Differential (what is that, anyway?), but I'm stable. I guess the board just started working the way it should've been all along.

For your viewing pleasure, Sandra benchmarks. I'll be doing more when I hit the ceiling.

Why more than a week to get overclocked. And you changed the current differential which you did not even know what it did, BOTH of my statements were correct, I know you like your 1.6a but accusing me of being incorrect, when you yourself posted all the evidence I need to prove my comments is not wise or nice.

So, both my comments about the week(as for your 30 minutes of real time, that is probably the case since it was all in the bios, but you still took a week of REAL TIME to get your overclock) and about changing a setting you did not know anything about(the current differential) ARE 100% TRUE.

March 24, 2002 2:54:19 AM

Quote:
man you still beating topics to the floor? the P4 1.6 is like the 300a in terms of o'c easy and stable use. alot of people that i know are selling their amd mainboars and getting nw's. i had a axp which bit the dust and took out part of my board. but my new 1.6 keeps chugging along. read what's happening at hardocp or anandtech.

I am NOT SAYING the 1.6a is a BAD chip, not in the slightest, in fact you have a VERY high chance to reach 2.4ghz, what I AM saying, is that at stock, the 1800+ is a better buy, this person does not overclock. Also, on the off chance he does want to overclock in the future, the 1800 has some headroom to do so.

The 1.6a chip is good ONLY if you overclock, the 1800+ is good either way.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2002 6:05:59 AM

thanks everyone for your time. I don't play games, never have and never will. I'll use the (new) computer for webdesign and computer graphics and basically I want a fast processor which doesn't cause problems.

Someone told me that a friend of his has an Athlon XP and it works great but he has some problems with it, "it's hard to maintain" that's what he said. What kind of problems does it cause? does it run with normal SDRAM? What's the best processor-mainboard-ram combination for the Athlon XP and whatever else for it to run smoothly. I would like it to be really reallly fast but first and above all I don't want it causing me problems. I've had enough with my 233 Cyrix (now don't laugh ;) . So you see I'm not used to high speed so anything relatively higher than that it's a real bonus.

Basically my mum and dad will give me $1100 to buy a new system+monitor ($1100 including taxes). So what do you recommend? What's the configuration you'd buy for this amount of money. It's worth saying that I won't use the video card for anything really except watch a video once in a while and the sound card to listen to music so i'm not picky in that area and the computer will be used for webdesign/graphics design. Oh and the screen...I already wear glasses so I'd like a screen that protects the eyes.

Thanks again for your time.
March 24, 2002 6:16:02 AM

I recommend the following:

Retail Pentium 4 1.6A, comes with heatsink/fan/3-year warranty: $133
Intel D850MD motherboard w/audio: $132
Two 256MB PC800 RDRAM modules: $130
----------
Total: $395

Add in any hard drive and video card that you like. If you are not going to play games, most any AGP-based video card will do.

-Raystonn

March 24, 2002 6:42:12 AM

if you're wary about eye fatigue, you might look into an lcd display. with those there is no refresh rate (flicker).
if you went the amd route, could go for something like this:
xp1800: $127 retail boxed
gigabyte ga-7vtxh+: $97 that has onboard lan and decent audio
ram: $128 mushkin 512mb ddr2100
total: $352

March 24, 2002 7:54:16 AM

Quote:
Basically my mum and dad will give me $1100 to buy a new system+monitor ($1100 including taxes). So what do you recommend? What's the configuration you'd buy for this amount of money. It's worth saying that I won't use the video card for anything really except watch a video once in a while and the sound card to listen to music so i'm not picky in that area and the computer will be used for webdesign/graphics design. Oh and the screen...I already wear glasses so I'd like a screen that protects the eyes.

Amd chips are perfectly stable and require no additional "maintainence"

That in mind I reccomend the following.

athlonxp1800+retail 127$
512megs pc2100 micron ddr. 139$
ecs k7s5a motherboard. 51$

Total= 317

It cost less than the suggest intel setup, and it outperforms it by a good margin, since you are not overclocking there is NO reason to get the 1.6a over this setup.

Also with that particular motherboard you can use pc133sdram as well, so if you have 512 megs laying around, and do not feel like buying ddr, it will save you 130 bucks, and still out perform(or be on par with depending on the app) the 1.6a northwood.

The choice is rather clear IMO.

March 24, 2002 8:04:48 AM

I found this deal which saves you even more money.

<A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com/1/306/4110-1.htm" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com/1/306/4110-1.htm&lt;/A>

1800+retail+ecsk7s5a motherboard 161$
512megs micron ddr ram =139
512megs generic ddr ram=115
Total 300$
(or 276 for generic ram which is perfectly fine)

Why pay 100$(125$) more for less performance? The intel name? Choice=clear.

Edited to add generic ram price in.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Matisaro on 03/24/02 02:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 24, 2002 8:10:39 AM

Quote:

<A HREF="http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/xp2100/page3.asp" target="_new">http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/xp2100/page3.asp...;/A>

The 2100+ wins every test besides quake, looks like the 2.2 is a CLEAR performance winner huh ray.

2100+ >= 2.2ghz p4
2100++(150fsb) > 2.2ghz p4
2200++ (150fsb) >=2.4ghz p4

March 24, 2002 8:25:41 AM

I revived this thread - it was on page 2 !

I feel like iv just done CPR :)  ...

Any mystery devised by mortal mind can be solved therewith - Holmes
March 24, 2002 8:41:44 AM

If you live in the states. This is for Amd or intel. And this could bring down the price Matisaro down. Frist go in to Pricewatch. See what You can get. Let say the chip is 120$ Then go on Http://www.ubid.com. and set your price at let say $100 on retail. Then try to stick to that price. You have to remember shipping handling.

Like this bid here
http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=6933...
there Amd 1900+ 49 chips from $9 to $161 when I looked. If you win you get the chip

or this intel chip 1.8 But I think it the frist gen p4
http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=6933...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2002 8:53:38 AM

no i live in Europe...Romania so chances of getting something online are rather slim
March 24, 2002 9:34:52 AM

Well it was worth a Try. Sorry about that.
March 24, 2002 10:50:25 AM

Quote:
Pentium 4 1.6A with 3 year warranty and retail heatsink/fan: $133
Athlon 1.53GHz (XP 1800) with 3 year warranty and retail heatsink/fan: $127

why are you quoting retail warranty prices for a processor u are only recommending because it can be overclocked easy? as soon as u oc it u void your warranty! so just get an oem axp1800+ for £130. if u dont want to oc - and it sounds like this guy doesnt want to - go for the xp.. it is faster cheaper and just as reliable and stable than a p4. notice i am quoting UK prices for the xp.. it is widely acknowledged that we pay more than america for the same product so american prices will be much cheaper! an equivalently performing p4 ie the p4 1.9GHz costs £242! over £100 more. for that u could get a good mobo i still recommend the GA 7DXR unbeatable for price/performance £100. so for the price of JUST the p4 u get an equally performing xp AND a decent mobo. leaving u more money to spend on decent DDR ram. sorry raystonn but when it comes to a high performing system for a realistic price your beloved intel gets beaten out every time!

how do you set a laser printer to stun?
March 24, 2002 11:01:19 AM

I agree with Matisaro. Or you can get a larger Monitor.
March 25, 2002 3:33:37 AM

Oh my God, what the hell kind of question is that. THE XP 1800 duh!!! The XP1800 out performs the 1.6 in almost everything, significantly. Especially in games. Also a good
Quote:
P4 mobo is more than a good athlon mobo, so a P4 will cost more, even though it sucks more. The XP overclocks just fine with a good HSF. You could probably get it to the level of a 2100, possibly even 2200 with air cooling.

yeah, but the P4 has a turbo switch! :wink:

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
March 25, 2002 3:46:16 AM

Quote:
thanks everyone for your time. I don't play games, never have and never will. I'll use the (new) computer for webdesign and computer graphics and basically I want a fast processor which doesn't cause problems.

the AMD cpu is a POS hot running coal chip, has no thermal protection and requires many fans to keep it cool. unless you live in Canada or the upper Northwest like most of the AMDfans live you will run it to heat related problems. even if you manage to get Amd temps at a decent level just knowing that it will self-immolated at any day, any time, is bad enough. do yourself a favor and get a retail Intel cpu that will protect your investment. just my 2cts.

March 25, 2002 3:51:04 AM

Quote:
the AMD cpu is a POS hot running coal chip, has no thermal protection and requires many fans to keep it cool. unless you live in Canada or the upper Northwest like most of the AMDfans live you will run it to heat related problems. even if you manage to get Amd temps at a decent level just knowing that it will self-immolated at any day, any time, is bad enough. do yourself a favor and get a retail Intel cpu that will protect your investment. just my 2cts.

Ignore meltdown, he is a troll and has nothing constructive to say, EVER.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2002 4:31:22 AM

actually it's VERY hot here in the summer and the last thing I want with this new computer is to be looking after it all the time. I am looking for speed yes...but above all stability. However I hear P4 isn't as good as it sounds, PIII or Celeron are however stabile and work with most applications without causing problems.

here's what someone recommended for pentium4

Intel Pentium® 4 1,6 GHz tray (I gathered from this forum that it would be best to have a P4A, but I don't think I've seen one anywhere. I'll keep looking, but what if I'm stuck to a P4 do I have to expect problems)
Microstar 845 Pro2 as the motherboard
PQI 512 MB PC133 DIMM SDRAM (does it work with normal SDRAM or does it need DDRAM?)

Thanks
March 25, 2002 4:59:10 AM

Quote:
Intel Pentium® 4 1,6 GHz tray (I gathered from this forum that it would be best to have a P4A, but I don't think I've seen one anywhere. I'll keep looking, but what if I'm stuck to a P4 do I have to expect problems)
Microstar 845 Pro2 as the motherboard
PQI 512 MB PC133 DIMM SDRAM (does it work with normal SDRAM or does it need DDRAM?)

if your gonna buy a 1.6p4 willamette, and couple it with sdram, you might as well get a 933p3, cause thats about the performance level you can expect.

The 1800+ is the clear choice in this circumstance.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
March 25, 2002 10:33:14 AM

Agreed. SDRAM pretty much kills performance.

March 25, 2002 10:40:12 AM

DO NOT respond to AMDMeltdown, he is a troll, he spreads fake info.
Follow our advice, save your buck and get the high performance you demand if you don't plan to overclock. And please if you came here, that means you know the main site THG, at least read through some CPU articles! You'll get familiar with recent news and what's best for you.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
March 25, 2002 3:54:56 PM

Hmm...let's see...maybe I have more going on than just tweaking my system for 16 hours every day?

Yes, it took me more than a week to finish overclocking. No, it did not take more than half an hour of actual work. And yes, I know exactly why I had problems in the beginning, and I'll post more in my thread in the OCing forum.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
March 25, 2002 4:50:40 PM

hi, ignore the mongrels who say I spread fake info, the internet is chock full of ppl who have AMD cpus burnt down, also AMD has no effective/practical thermal protection whatsoever! this is a fact that they want to keep from you. It's funny how they react when the info is posted.

ps, I would not get an sdram based mainboard, get an RDRAM board instead. there's plenty of postings on the best P4 board in this thread.

March 25, 2002 4:59:38 PM

Quote:
I gathered from this forum that it would be best to have a P4A, but I don't think I've seen one anywhere.

yes the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=list&c..." target="_new">P4 1.6A with 512K cache</A> is the one to look for.

March 25, 2002 5:14:05 PM

Don't listen to Meltdufus. He has a Blue Man lodged up his behind. Stick with the XP. Overclocked or not, the XP will outperform the P4 and cost less money.

The Pentium 4 is really a highly overclocked VIA C3 with SSE2 and a heat spreader.
March 25, 2002 5:48:22 PM

Given what you want to do, I would recomend the A7N266-E Motherboard with an Athlon 1700+ or 1800+, a 40 GB HD, 512 MB of PC2100 Ram (2 x 256), Antec SX-840 case, and either the NEC Fe950Plus or the Sony A420 for a 19" Monitor.

Those components, with a DVD drive, or posibly a CD-RW drive, should be in your budget. The Motherboard will have a decient video card built in, perfect for what you need, and good enough to let you do some 3D games (not the top of the line stuff, but better than nothing). The sound card is top of the line that is built in the board, so you're good to go with that one. Also, if you decide to put in a video card later, it does have a fully functional AGP 4x slot.

Great value, great performance, and plenty of room to expand. I think that's a great deal.

ED:
Also, if you don't get the Retail box CPU, get the Thermaltake Volcano 6, Volcano 7, or Volcano 7+. The 6 is quiet and very good, and the 7+ you can adjust the fan speed to make it as quiet or loud as you want as well as adjust it to how hot it gets. The 7 autoadjusts depending on the temp in the case, but it can get loud if your temps run a bit high. The 7+ disipates heat better than the 7 at lower speeds of the fan. Your case comes with 2 fans, and mounts for 2 more, but the 2 it comes with should be fine. (It's got great airflow)

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bront on 03/25/02 02:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!