Your question

Pentium 4: In Depth

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
  • Curve
Last response: in CPUs
March 24, 2002 2:32:13 PM

visit this site guys and tell me what you think --> http://www.emulators.com/pentium4.htm

"...the beauty of the curve, the female anatomy says it all."

More about : pentium depth

March 24, 2002 3:03:21 PM

I agree with most of its contents.

But the article was last updated five months ago and anti-futuristic.

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal
March 24, 2002 3:41:39 PM

[FatBurger]Tsk Tsk...doesn't take that long to make it clickable. here: <A HREF="http://www.emulators.com/pentium4.htm" target="_new">Article</A>
[/FatBurger]

oh, thanks for the link...seen it before but still a good read.

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.
Related resources
March 24, 2002 7:59:03 PM

It is a good read if you are an AMD shareholder or own one of their processors. It contains no objective information.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
March 24, 2002 10:06:48 PM

Quote:
It is a good read if you are an AMD shareholder or own one of their processors. It contains no objective information.

huh? what does that mean? you seem to be taking any shots you can lately.

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol: 
March 24, 2002 10:10:58 PM

It means just what I said. It contains no objective information. The author is clearly biased before any discussions have even begun. This can be confirmed simply by looking at the titles of his sections.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
March 24, 2002 10:20:21 PM

Heh, well imho, i've come to think Raystohn may be biased as well as Intel_Inside...just a passing thought

"When there's a will, there's a way."
March 24, 2002 10:24:38 PM

So I am biased but the article is not?

With sections entitled "How Intel Blew It" and "Pentium 4 - Generation 7 or complete stupidity?" how can any right-minded individual not see the inherent bias that will be contained within the article.

As I said, the article is great if you are an AMD stockholder or the owner of one of their processors.

-Raystonn

March 24, 2002 10:37:46 PM

Writer may be biased, but he brings up many technological points which are not biased, facts arent biased.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
March 24, 2002 10:44:48 PM

Did I say the article wasn't biased? No. But I do know that it stated some facts which do indicate the weaknesses/strengths of the pentiumIV. It doesn't matter who reads it, but how you take the information

March 24, 2002 10:44:56 PM

Did I say the article wasn't biased? No. But I do know that it stated some facts which do indicate the weaknesses/strengths of the pentiumIV. It doesn't matter who reads it, but how you interprate the information

March 24, 2002 11:13:13 PM

Personally if I was writing the article, I'd use similar puns.
The article holds truth to it, and it shows the entire saga of the P4's stripping. If these were present now, we'd have a kick-ass machine, but I don't see Generation 7 as a stripped processor with high MHZ saga.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
March 25, 2002 1:54:33 AM

http://www.apple.com/g4/myth/
http://athlonxp.amd.com/
Speaking of brainwashing, there is a growing effort to stop Intel's false marketing of clock speed as an indicator of computing speed. While yours truly has been screaming, all together now, CLOCK SPEED IS NOT EVERYTHING for a long time, especially on this web site, major players such as Apple and AMD are now joining the anti-clock speed marketing effort. As I explained earlier, both the Motorola G4 processor (used in Apple's computers) and the AMD Athlon deliver more speed for a given clock speed. More efficiency. More instructions per clock cycle. However you think of it, more computer power for each MHz of processor clock.

Ture in everyway.
March 25, 2002 3:00:40 AM

Quote:
visit this site guys and tell me what you think --> http://www.emulators.com/pentium4.htm

well ok, this guy is biggest AMDmongrel next to Van Smith. all his info is way out dated and misleading, the real reason he writes all that is because the P4 doesn't like lazy programmers, old dogs can't learn new tricks!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
March 25, 2002 5:31:48 AM

That make you the biggest IntelMongrel. And the only resond you right the crap you do. Is that Your dumb.

Most people who like intel or Amd would agree with me. There 3 others that might disagree.
March 25, 2002 6:07:28 AM

I'd say that the P4 does not like programers at al... if you read the article you'll see that the P4s is pretty limited in terms of Micro-op per cycle no matter how the programer arranges its code...
this is due to the limiting trace cahce, Decoding unit and Instruction issuing which is far infiror to Athlons...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled
March 25, 2002 6:07:32 AM

That site is pure flame bait, most educated AMD trolls on this forum would agree.

I think that the guy who wrote that masterpiece on emulators.com works for vans hardware.

I also believe most of his points are quoted from page 1 of the AMD owners handbook.

Its a total joke Executor, supprised this has <A HREF="http://discuss.madonion.com/forum/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&... Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1week&Main=566837" target="_new">been posted on other forums</A> recently.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.
March 25, 2002 6:19:21 AM

This is old news and at the very least needs to consider the differences between the Willy and the Northwood to be readable material today. This was released at the same time WinXP came out.

Quote:
The Pentium 4, once it is switched over to a .13 micron process and beefed up with a large on-chip cache, may finally show promise some time next year. But as it stands, I cannot recommend to anyone to purchase an existing Pentium 4 system, Socket 423 or Socket 478 based.

The willy sucked. At least this guy recognized the potential of the northwood. It's hard to be too hard on someone when the Willy was such a dissapointment.

<font color=red>First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.</font color=red><font color=blue>
March 25, 2002 6:19:24 AM

The funny thing is, prior to the P4, Intel used to increase the IPC with each new generation of processors. Now clock speed is everything. Unless, of course, we're talking about Itanic and its 800MHz clock speed. In that case Intel will tell you clock speed isn't everything.
March 25, 2002 7:15:37 AM

Quote:
The author is clearly biased before any discussions have even begun.

Biased but nevertheless accurate...unless you can point out some technical inaccuracies?

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kelledin on 03/25/02 03:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 25, 2002 7:28:39 AM

Hm. Van Smith and that guy are big enough but is AMDMeltDown so big? I didn't know he's so popular!

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal
March 25, 2002 10:51:16 AM

Quote:
I didn't know he's so popular!

Meltdown is not popular, hes infamous, there is a HUGE difference, but being an english major you knew that right.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
March 25, 2002 3:08:04 PM

Melty, if the tables were turned and the P4 was AMD's processor and the Athlon belonged to Intel, I wonder if you'd be so thrilled with the P4. NO WAY! Face it, the P4 is a POS and you've been brainwashed by those Blue Man commercials.
March 25, 2002 3:30:12 PM

Quote:
Hm. Van Smith and that guy are big enough but is AMDMeltDown so big? I didn't know he's so popular!

Who said Melty is famous?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
March 25, 2002 5:08:18 PM

Quote:
That make you the biggest IntelMongrel. And the only resond you right the crap you do. Is that Your dumb.

Most people who like intel or Amd would agree with me. There 3 others that might disagree.

:smile:

March 25, 2002 5:12:49 PM

"Melty, if the tables were turned and the P4 was AMD's processor and the Athlon belonged to Intel, I wonder if you'd be so thrilled with the P4. NO WAY! Face it, the P4 is a POS and you've been brainwashed by those Blue Man commercials."

yes, if I were an AMDfanboy I would be thrilled with anything AMD did!

March 25, 2002 5:31:32 PM

Hey, I like those Blue man commercials :|
March 25, 2002 7:44:21 PM

Tell that to Frankie Muniz, he's their biggest fan. I suppose he probably has a whole P4 franchise in his house.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!
March 26, 2002 2:40:01 PM

Quote:
all his info is way out dated and misleading, the real reason he writes all that is because the P4 doesn't like lazy programmers, old dogs can't learn new tricks!

The article is actualy quite old, and all his arguements were valid at the time.

After rereading the 2 initial P4 articles from THG, it made a very good point. THG's advice was to stay away from the Socket 423 P4, as it was not very good performance for it's price (In fact, the PIII 1 GHZ topped it consistantly in initial tests), and it would be a dead end in about a year. Their predictions came true, as the new 478 socket has the Northwood, which fixes some of the initial problems the P4 had, and gives it much better performance.

Now, as far as programers, they are often now lazier anyway due to the nature of today's computer and their speed. It's no longer worth the time and effort it takes to streamline code to make it processor and space efficient with today's large storage media and high speed CPUs.

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...
March 26, 2002 3:48:58 PM

The article is an interesting look into the history if the X86 CPU line. In the authors oppinion, based on facts he accumulated, he made a judgement that the P4 had several inherant design flaws that he felt Intel should have avoided. Forming an oppinion and being biased are two different things.

Now, after the inital article, he begins to become biased, in my oppinion. The third tests, with the AXP and the old P4 1.5, he compairs the two clock for clock while saying clockspeed doesn't matter. He also failed to get a new P4 2.0 chip to test. So, he was comparing the top of the line AXP to the bottem of the line P4. Would the AXP have been better than the P4? In most cases, probably anyway. But, the scaling would have looked much better.

Now, if he continues to do things as he has before, he should take the 2.2A and compare it to the old AXP 1800+ system. This would make more sence, as it is the top of the line release of the AXP and the P4 Northwood, and they were released not to far away from eachother time wise.

Ray, as to you being biased...

You discuss your feelings and often offer proof of why you believe what you do. However, you often seem unwilling to listen and admit that the other side has a valid point when they make one. You also have shown that you don't truely understand the other side (Just an example, how you didn't know the Athlon's interface was DDR for the CPU). To me, this shows me that you are biased. However, you also make very intelegant posts, so even being biased, you are very welcome in the board by pretty much everyone. (Unlike some people... AMDMeltdown... Wilmette_Sucks...ect)

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...
March 26, 2002 5:46:29 PM

This article is very old.
March 26, 2002 5:48:55 PM

What is with the name. An Executor is the admin and an estate.
March 26, 2002 5:56:24 PM

Also the name of Darth Vader's Star Destroyer in Return of the Jedi.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
March 26, 2002 7:15:47 PM

Lol, I wonder if star destroyers used the almighty Pentium10 1,000Ghz or the AthlonXP 1Terrahertz+

March 26, 2002 8:03:02 PM

I'm guessing a Cyrix, since Executor was the ship that crashed into the Death Star.

!